removing pedals

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am trying to move my clipless pedals from my old bike to my new one. The problem is, I can’t get the left pedal off the new bike. The right one came off with ease. The left one is holding on for dear life (I realize the left pedal has a reverse thread). Any suggestions? I’ve already knicked the finish on my cranks and don’t want to do any more damage.

cjm

Did you try like a three foot "cheater pipe?" Bike shops love to load pedals with loc-tite. My worst pedal removal story included a two foot cheater pipe and a rather heavy hammer.

Thanks for the quick response guys. After I posted, I went out for round two. I put a little piece of pipe on the end of my wrench for some more leverage. It was not 2 or 3 feet by any means – maybe 2 or 3 inches. After two or three more tries it popped right off. I guess it was just enough extra leverage, or the threads finally gave in to my offensive. Either way, mission accomplished.

Do you have a recommendation for a specific thread lock to apply before installing my other pedals?

"Mongoose" wrote

Well, what I use is a dab of Loctite Pipe Sealant with Teflon, and it works great. You can use any kind of anti-seize from your LBS or any automotive supply shop, as they all work the same way. Wally World (Walmart) also carries some of that anti-seize. Teflon tape is another anti-seize you could use if you do not have any of that other stuff, it works just a good as any of the other products.

Ahhh, teflon tape I already have. Maybe I’ll give that shot. Thanks.

I just realized I probably should have posted this in MTB Repair under General Mountain Bike Discussion. Oh well, live and learn.

"fleetwood" wrote

I am trying to move my clipless pedals from my old bike to my new one. The problem is, I can’t get the left pedal off the new bike. The right one came off with ease. The left one is holding on for dear life (I realize the left pedal has a reverse thread). Any suggestions? I’ve already knicked the finish on my cranks and don’t want to do any more damage.

I just put new alloy pedals on my bike i had the same problem, i flipped the rite pedal and back it against the bottom tube of the frame and just heaved like an S.O.B. and got it, if you dont want to scratch your paint put a towel on the pedal then you don’t have to fight yourself holding one side and wrenching on the other.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.