Remember when we only had "skinny" bikes…

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Before Fat Bikes were even a thought, winter MTB riding consisted of studding up tires and riding in search of cold, hard pack/icy trail conditions. Personally I don’t see myself getting into a Fat Bike in the near future. IMO it’s primarily a niche bike (winter) in a season where skiing usually takes precedence. Additionally you need "ideal" riding conditions of packed (or groomed) trails, with minimal amounts of powder void of significant ice. Granted riding skinny studded tires has its own set of criteria, however I feel "skinny" bike conditions are more frequent and abundant in this neck of the woods (more so than fat bike conditions).

Anyone out riding skinny studded tires on icy hard-pack trails anymore, or have "skinny" bikes become extinct? Also, curious to know if anyone is running studs on their fats ?

Hey sssirois,
      I started riding when fat bikes first came out. However, I do remember when there were "only" skinny mtbs, ignorance really is bliss at times! 😆

I’ve only been riding for three to four winters. I try to ride as much as I can, but I don’t have a fat bike or stubbed tires. TBH, I don’t need either of them (just don’t tell my wife I said that), but I’d gladly take one. Both would increase my riding opportunities, but the fat bike would increase them more than the stubbed tires.

Studded tires are nice because they add extra grip in snow and ice. Fat bikes also add extra grip in snow and ice but they also add flotation. I need that extra flotation more than I need the extra grip. We had 30" of snow in the month of November and another 28" from Christmas Eve until now. If I had a fat bike, I wouldn’t have had those huge dry spells of no riding.

Unfortunately, it started snowing again so I will probably not be able to ride for a few days. Thankfully, my skinny tires did just fine this morning:

Back home (NE Iowa) there is a large group of fat bike riders. Granted, they have sustained winters, but afaik they don’t groom their trails. They’re also able to get out a day or two ahead of the skinny tires after it rains. That wider footprint helps in more ways than one!

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.