Recovery time for bruised rib (costochondritis)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I went down a week ago riding a trail called The Grudge in Simi Valley and bruised my rib cage pretty bad. I thought it was broken but X-rays were negative. I guess it’s something called costochondritis, when the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum are injured. I was just wondering if anyone has also had this and how long it took to be able to ride again.

Karlos

Did the doctor give you any guide lines? That would be a good place to start. That said, I have had either broken or bruised ribs at least twice (one time I clearly heard and felt a snap, leading me to believe it was a fracture), though I did not see a doctor to check. Both times I continued to ride ~4 days a week; but I will say, it was “uncomfortable” for a few weeks. There is not much that can be done with rib injuries (can’t put a cast on it!), and they are very well supported by the intercostal muscles, so the bruised/fractured ribs are not moving much more than normal.

Yah, the doctor just said to give it a few weeks and see how it feels. But I’ve heard that ribs can take much longer to heal enough to start downhilling again. I don’t want to aggravate it or injure it again from riding rough terrain. I guess I just need to feel it out and wait. But I’m chompin at the bit to get back on the trails, and it’s only been a week! I’ll probably start with mellow trails after a few weeks.

If its not broken you can ride no problem. Might want to stick to less bumpy trails to avoid unnecessary pain. I would recommend road or gravel grinding for another week. It will take about a month for pain to fully go away. Happened to me many times. Get G Form t shirt. Makes a big difference.

I’ve had this twice. You can ride, but at first it will hurt like hell. the pain goes away a little bit every day, but it will be maybe 4-5 months until you don’t notice it anymore. Mellow trails are good to start–it’s the loading and lifting for getting over obstacles that’s the worst in the first weeks. I hate to say it, but sleeping will be tough for a while.

As others stated, it’s fine to ride but may hurt like hell.  It’s a pain tolerance issue.  Take some aspirin (or not) and get out and ride… preferably something more XC-oriented that may be less jarring/painful.

Feel your pain, a few weeks back I had most of my ribs broken during CPR and have just returned to the bike.  Lifting my wheel over obstacles or hiting bumps at speed sends a chill through my whole body.  But… the joy of riding keeps me coming back.

Did the same thing last year, took about a month before sleeping and doing real activity was comfortable. About 2 months till 100%.

I crashed and broke 2, maybe 3 ribs back on Sept 28th, 2018.  It was 6 weeks before the stabbing pain of the fractures moving went away, even longer before sneezing wasn’t traumatic.  It’s been 4 months now and I still have pain if I stretch/arch backwards too far (broke my left ribs, right in the front).  I have ridden once, and fell (managed to roll that time), but didn’t suffer much more than dull pain/achy from hard breathing.  Winter is upon us with a vengeance, so I’m not riding for awhile.

Twice in the past I have dislocated a rib, separating them at the cartilage.  A right rib in the front, and a left rib in the back.  The right one was from full-contact, no gear football on the beach.  It took years before it “stuck” back in place.  Hiccups were the worst, as was stretching.  I still occasionally feel a twinge from it, 19 years later.  The left one was from using a giant pry bar to try and move a cement parking block back into position.  Was pushing upwards and it just popped.  After a few weeks it rarely hurt at all, other than when my chiropractor would attempt to adjust my back right next too it.  Has taken a few years for it to stick back and not be bothered by adjustments, although I do feel resistance in it at the time.

When I had mine x-rayed, they could not confirm that I had broken them, told me that unless the ribs are displaced, it’s less than 50% of the time that the breaks are actually visible.  Going by symptoms, and that I could pinpoint the spot where the stabbing pain was, along with rib movement, they were diagnosed as broken.

Good luck with sleeping and such!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.