recovery fromcracked ribs

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Besides resting (which is driving me CRAZY) what type of training can you do when recovering from a cracked rib. Happened 1 week ago.

Let’s look after brianW so nobody make him laugh and sneezing powder would be considered assault. 😄 Later,

i had once cracked ribs. looks like resting is the only thing you can do until full recovery. Hope you’ll get back to normal soon

You will be fine, just don’t breathe, roll over in bed, get up or sit down, laugh, sneeze or go to the potty. 😃
      Last time I think I was able to ride after 3-4 weeks, greenway type stuff. I used an Ace bandage and that seemed to help a little, although that could be mostly mental.

I rode about 10 miles on a paved greenway this morning. Felt good when riding. Only real pain I have is sneezing, laughing, and rolling over in bed. I even managed t swim a half mile yesterday. I am more worried about taking a fall in the next few weeks when it is healing.

Good thing about our skeleton(frame) when it breaks it heals stronger than it was before. Problem is it takes longer than heli arc, mig, tig, and resin. Drink milk and eat Oreos. 😄 Later,

P.S. Don’t fall till it’s healed or NO OREOS!

Can I still eat my homemade maple bacon ice cream? It is so good.

Yes! No worries on the ice cream. Keep the Oreos away from the icecream unless you want to go faster on the Downhill. Oreos and icecream will attract my main sponsor, Mo Mentum, into your camp for sure. 😄 Later,

Another thing to avoid is the horizontal hustle with the SO. Trust me on this one, 5 broken ribs and a woman who won’t take no for an answer hurts worse than the act of actually breaking them.

That being said after about 3 weeks of recovery I took a vacation that included a 12 hour car ride to the gulf and played in the ocean on a boogie board with no ill effects. I’d say you should be good to start testing the waters after 2 weeks depending on severity.

I broke a couple of ribs earlier this year and after about a week or so I was back on my raod bike but the possibility of falling and refracturing the ribs is pretty high on a MTB so I took the Docs advice and stayed off the MTB for 5 weeks. I have wiped a couple of times since and had no ill effects. Take it easy and live to bike another day. Tomorrow brings more chances to explore and enjoy.

"E-Rawk" wrote

Another thing to avoid is the horizontal hustle with the SO. Trust me on this one, 5 broken ribs and a woman who won’t take no for an answer hurts worse than the act of actually breaking them.

I can confirm this. 😳

"maddslacker" wrote

I can confirm this. 😳

Glad I’m not the only one!

Pretty sure I cracked a rib a couple days ago, so I feel you pain. Feels fine as long as I don’t need to breathe. Best thing for it was a bit of retail therapy, got to replace the handlebar that I bent between my ribs and the ground.

I took 2 weeks off of trails and started riding with caution afterwards. After 2 months they feel pretty poor but when I have one of those deep down coughs there is still a little pain.

Rest, nothing else you can do. Trying to do too much before it heals will just agravate it more.

"brianW" wrote

Can I still eat my homemade maple bacon ice cream? It is so good.

If anyone tells you that you can’t – they are a liar!! In fact, i’ll have two

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.