Recommended Tires for AZ Desert Riding

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

What tires do you recommend for desert riding in AZ? For those familiar…I ride the single track at Pima/Dynamite, and over at Dreamy Draw too. Plenty of steep vertical climbing on either gravel on hard-pack or loose "shale".

I saw that the May 09′ issue of Mountain Bike Mag had a nice article on the best tires for different conditions and style of riding. I seem to recall quite a few options for our terrain.

I’ve had good luck w/ Kenda’s Small Block Eight in sandy/hardpack conditions

lovelacci, I ride the same areas that you do, and from my web-research I’m going to try the Maxxis High Rollers, 26" x 2.35". They seem to be well recommended for this terrain.

Maxxis High Rollers

Currently ride on Kenda Nevegal, they work great. I have running them all over the trails in Phoenix.

"GiantRiderX4" wrote

Currently ride on Kenda Nevegal, they work great. I have running them all over the trails in Phoenix.

Interesting, I am running a Nevegal on the front, 29×2.2, and while it is great in a lot of terrain around Phoenix I find it lacking in the small loose stuff and sand. Quite happy with the Small Block 8 on the rear – curious how it would ride in the front. I think my next set of tires will be Geax Saguaro though.

I run Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 Kevlar beads front and rear. They seem to do pretty well in all conditions I have found in the high desert.

YMMV

Lon

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.