Rear Shock Choices

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hey all, new to the site. In face this is the first post. It shows, I thought I posted this earlier but couldn’t find it so I guess I hit preview instead of post. With that said please go easy on me if this has been covered before. I just bought a Specialized Pitch Comp, and I want to replace the rear shock that came on it. I have two that I have in mind, the Fox DHX Air 5.0 and the Fox Float RP23. I want the all-around better performing shock for cross country, down hill, basic trail riding and 2-3 foot jumps and so forth! I have found out that I am categorized as a super clydesdale, due to my weight of 275 lbs. I’ve seen both sides of an argument that people that big should go with a coil spring rear shock not air. Don’t know, but most are saying the adjustably of the air is better for big boys. Thanks for your input

Josh

cjm

Welcome aboard.

First thing is first. At 275 you have two choices an air sprung shock or finding someone to build you a custom coil. Generally, shock companies make springs to support 225lbs riders and no more. It comes down to setting the sag on your rear suspension. For the most part, the amount of travel used when you are on your bike in your regular riding position should not exceed 33% of travel. My guess is that you would need a 750lbs spring and 650 is the largest I have seen. Contact Specialized for the exact spring rate you’d need for a coil on the bike.

Next, an "all-around better performing shock for cross country, down hill, basic trail riding and 2-3 foot jumps and so forth!" doesn’t actually exist. XC shocks and DH shocks are different. With an XC shock you want minimal mid range damping, so the shock will activate and let the rear wheel move out of your way as not to disturb your pedaling position. On a DH bike you want a lot more more mid range damping to avoid blowing through your travel constantly. It goes on from there. Still, both shocks you have chosen make an admirable attempt at walking the line between the two.

The RP23 will do outstandingly on everything you mention except downhill. You have to ask yourself, how much downhill are you really going to ride. At 275 I don’t think I wouldn’t about my shock handling downhill; I would worry about that all-mountain frame. I float between 160 and 175 and I could rip through that frame riding DH in a season.

For me, the DHX 5.0 is still the best multi-purpose shock on the market. it has a lot of adjustments that make it extremely versatile. It also makes it easy to screw up. When I bought my first DHX 5.0 I had already learned a lot about adjusting shocks through trial and error and error… on a much more simple shock.

My suggestion would be the RP23. If you are going to be riding DH often enough to require a DH shock, then shell out the $2500 for an entry level DH bike, because if you don’t you probably be buying a new All-mountain bike in the fall.

cjm

Duplicate Post Deleted

I have to agree with cjm. I weigh between 225-240 (just depends) plus pack and gear. Trying to ride downhill on a bike not designed for it is a bad idea. As for general XC and AM style trail riding go with the RP23. If I’m not mistaken it is the issued shock on several of the high end Trek and Fisher bikes. I realize you’re on a Specialized but if other big manufacturers trust/recommend it you should be good to go….

Great, thanks for the advise. And thanks evenmore that its the cheaper option. Is there any difference between year models of the rp23. Should I stay away from certian years that is?

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.