Rear Hub noise and wobbly cassette

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

So I was cleaning up the girlfriends bike. I got her a used Giant Anthem from a girl I rode with in the past. We test rode the bike and everything seemed to be great. I don’t know if this is a new issue or existing issue, here goes.

The rear wheel sounds kind of loud compared to the front. They are both Shimano XT rims/hubs. It sounds kind of like its rubbing or something. I took off the axles and felt the smoothness from the outside and the rear isn’t as smooth but its not chunky like I had happen with my front Easton Haven recently. If you spin the tire and look the rim doesn’t appear to be bent and its definitely not the disc brake. If you concentrate on the cassette as the freewheel spins it kind of wobbles slowly.

I am going to take it to a shop soon if I can but we plan on riding on Thursday. Last time we rode I think it was there I just haven’t had a chance to really get in there and look at it. I assume it will be safe to ride on a couple of more rides but what do people think this may be?

Thanks for your interest in giving me some tips!!

So I pulled the rear tire off and wiggled the cassette and it feels like its not tightened all the way. Could this be the issue? Do I need a special tool to tighten it? I don’t have the fancy cassette pulling tools.

"tarvisg" wrote

So I pulled the rear tire off and wiggled the cassette and it feels like its not tightened all the way. Could this be the issue? Do I need a special tool to tighten it? I don’t have the fancy cassette pulling tools.

Yes you need a special lockring tool. The type can differ depending on the casette.

For tightening, you only need the lockring socket, and it’s about $5 or so. For removal you also need a ‘chain whip’ and that runs $15 – $20.

If you swing by the shop they’ll probably tighten it for you for free or cheap.

If the lockring is loose enough to make it wobble you could probably loosen it off by hand. The freehub body itself could also be loose.

So I took it to my local roadie mechanic who didn’t have the right tools to begin with. He said it was probably normal for that component.

I looked at it closer and you really have to focus on it to even see the slightest wobble.

I then took it to another shop after talking to them on the phone. They said on the phone it could be the freewheel body was worn. I took it in and spun it real quick and they said oh thats normal and nothing to worry about.

So far I am not confident on any bike shop I have been to in San Antonio. Except my road bike mechanic that is great with a roadie, but thats about it.

Any thoughts? I am going to call a buddy at a bike shop back in Lake Tahoe and see what his two cents are.

Thanks

If you have already taken it to two mechanics and they both say "it’s normal" I would think you are OK unless they are both worthless as bike mechanics. However, if you are still unsure, I have seen the inner hub axle (the one inside the wheel, not the quick release) break on Shimano hubs which caused rough spinning and cassette wobble. You can easily check this while re-lubing your bearings. If you want to attempt the job yourself, there’s a nice video I found that shows the whole thing step by step. You”ll still need a chain whip and the proper cassette tool as well as some decent grease and a few pedal wrenches that are the right size.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.