Rear Bike Rack?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone make a rear rack for a full suspension bike? I ride a 2004 Trek Fuel 100 if that make any difference. The reason is for holding my lunch and stuff on long rides.

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Welcome to Singletracks, Humdinger!

The [u:bzzhf2ca]Saris Bones[/u:bzzhf2ca] series are very nice rear bike racks, and are highly adjustable to fit almost any car/SUV. I got a Bones3 to fit our VW New Beetle, and it’s sturdy as all hell. I highly recommend one.

However, with full-suspension bikes, almost any bike rack like the Saris (or Bell, or Thule) has issues with proper fit.
      Therefore, there is an extendable bar (the Xport) that locks between the seatpost & the stem, which you then fit onto the rack. I’ve found that it’s a lot easier to mount a bike on a carrier with the Xport bar than without.

With the Saris Bones, you can also run a long Kryptonite cable through the center section of the carrier, and then lock it to a tow-point on your car/SUV. Pretty decent anti-theft device…. 😀

Bombardier thanks for the reply and maybe I guess I didn’t make it clear (I read my post again). I ‘m wanting a rear rack to put on my bike not the car. But thanks anyway. I think I’m going to have to go with this:

Look here

I just didn’t know if there was anything else out there to mount to the rear of the bike?

Thanks again, Michael

I kinda wondered…. 😉

Forget about the Trek rack. Get the BBB MountRack (Part # BCA-02). It’s usable with full-suspension bikes, and can mount a Carrier Bag as well (P-# BSB-95). Click on the images to go to the BBB site.

BBB is a German bike-parts company, and we’ve bought a lot of their stuff while we lived in Mannheim. They make quality gear, and there are three BBB dealers here in Colorado, which I’ve listed here. I’m sure they can order you the rack and bag, if they don’t have them in stock. It’d be worth the wait anyways.

Check out the rest of BBB’s goodies; their saddles, handlebars, and grips are very nice.

——————————————————————————–
      OPTI-BIKE, LLC. 2150-A TAMARACK AVENUE
      BOULDER, CO 80304 (303) 443-0932
      RED ROCKS CYCLERY 300 BEAR CREEK AVENUE
      Morrison, CO 80465 (303) 697-8833
      SPOKES INC. 1215-J MAIN ST.
      WINDSOR, CO 80550 (970) 686-9275

"humdinger4u" wrote

Bombardier thanks for the reply and maybe I guess I didn’t make it clear (I read my post again). I ‘m wanting a rear rack to put on my bike not the car. But thanks anyway. I think I’m going to have to go with this:

Look here

I just didn’t know if there was anything else out there to mount to the rear of the bike?

Thanks again, Michael

Thanks again Bombardier, that’s more of what I was looking for. Do you run one of these on your bike by chance?

Thanks again!!!!! 😃

Michael

I used to run a Schwinn rack on my old wally world deathcycle (there might be a pic under my account somewhere on here), then I tried it on my GT, then took it off after a few minutes. if they make them for different seatpost sizes, make sure you get the one for the seatpost that your bike uses! it may sound like common sense, but if you’ve got a 30.6 or a 31.6 seatpost you might end up high and dry when it comes to luggage racks that will fit your bike. of course, rather than a seatpost-mounted rack, I’d just spring for a particularly large under-seat bag. Topeak makes a few, one of them being big enough for a 6" turkey delux w/ cheese from subway once you expand it, and for a drink, your camelbak should work fine, and give you a little more storeage for stuff like tools or the occasional candy bar

Good point Slyp_Dawg on the seat post size I’ll have to keep that in mind when I go looking for the rack!! I’ll have to remember on the seat bag too if the rack doesn’t work out.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

"humdinger4u" wrote

Good point Slyp_Dawg on the seat post size I’ll have to keep that in mind when I go looking for the rack!! I’ll have to remember on the seat bag too if the rack doesn’t work out.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Slyp-Dawg is right, and IIRC, that BBB’s rack has an adjustable clamp to fit various seatpost sizes. Are you going to go with that one, or the Trek rack instead?

Oh yeah, and if you do go with the under-seat pack, make really sure it’s secured and closed up nice and good. I’ve witnessed what happens when one dumps it’s expensive contents right underneath the rear tire. 😮

"Bombardier" wrote

that BBB’s rack has an adjustable clamp to fit various seatpost sizes. Are you going to go with that one, or the Trek rack instead?

Oh yeah, and if you do go with the under-seat pack, make really sure it’s secured and closed up nice and good. I’ve witnessed what happens when one dumps it’s expensive contents right underneath the rear tire. 😮

Bombardier I’m just keeping my eyes open to options that’s all. I want to look at the BBB and I’ve already seen the Trek rack. I try not to buy before I look at as many options as I can and then buy.

I agree on making sure your bag or bags are zipped up…been there done that! 😳

Michael

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.