Quick tubeless question…

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

OK, so this past Sat. I converted my wheels to tubeless using the stan’s kit. I feel petty good about my install; the tires inflated and sealed no problems. I spent probably 45 min. per tire doing the rotating/ shaking/ resting on a bucket procedure, so I know the sealant has been properly dispered…
      I haven’t been able to ride since I have done this due to MASSIVE amounts of rain, for the last couple of days I have been checking on the air presssure in my tires making sure they are holding. I notice that in 3 days I probably lost 5-8 psi, which is normal right? I was under the impression that this was typical. Today, I topped of the air pressure, noticed the at the valve stem that both tires were weeping a little sealant at the nut. It didn’t last for very long…Is this normal? I am nervous about my first ride on this set up. Any thoughts? 😕

Since you didn’t ride the tires within the first day or so of installation I would imagine the sealant hasn’t had a chance to REALLY get spun around into all the nooks and crannies.

I’ve always wanted to see a clear tubeless tire set up on a rim with some Stan’s so I could see what the liquid is doing inside there. I’m just imagining at high speeds it’s all pretty well slammed against the outside of the tire but at lower speeds it’s sorta sloshing around inside. And for quick stops it might just cascade down over the rim.

I’m thinking I need to set up an experimental rig for this if there isn’t already a YouTube video out there. 😀

Are you using the rubber rim strip?

"dgaddis" wrote

Are you using the rubber rim strip?

Yeah, I used the ones that came in the kit…
      One thing that I did notice from watching the how to video was that the installer’d rim strip filled more of the span of the inside of the rim, whereas when I installed mine, they seemed to be under more stress and not touch the inside of the rim. didn’t have to squeeze the strip into the groove of the inside of the rim…
      Two things…Yes, I got the right kit 😃 and Yes, I checked for compatibility issues…
      Just have no experience with tubeless. Do know what to expect as far as leaks and sealant behavior….

The rim strip should go from sidewall to sidewall of the rim. The tire beads should be on the rim strip.

It’s a little odd that you have sealant coming out at the valve hole because in theory the sealant should be contained inside the tire and rimstrip. BUT, what probably happened is a little got past the tire bead/rim strip interface while doing the initial set up, and it found it’s way out of the rim.

If they only lost a few psi over several days, I think you’re good to go, because that is normal. Some tires lose more than others. I say ride it! Just carry a couple tubes with you on you first ride or two, just in case haha.

Make sure the valve stem nut is tight. Not super tight, but tight. Don’t use pliars or anything.

The rim strip definitely did not cover from side to side of the inside of the rim, which was a sort of red flag from the start. They did inflate and seem to seal though, so we shall see…
      Since I ride pretty regularly and nite, I will be packing more than one tube on my tubeless maiden voyage. 😆

I just went tubeless too, very apprehensively.
      Everything went very smoothly for the install. My rims were factory taped.
      Tires pumped right up with no apparent leaks at all.
      But, it was 2 days later for the first ride and both tires had lost down to <10 pounds. This worried me but I pumped them up and rode it with more pressure than normal.
      Now, 5 days later, neither tire seems to have lost any at all.

As a side item….all of my tire pressures are by the "squeeze it" method. Can any body recommend a guage that actually works on prestas?

Also interesting to me was that in my tubeless conversion, I used a schrader adapter to add air so I could use the compressor. The adapter fit snuggly and removed the valve cores when taking it off.

"detvarjag" wrote

I just went tubeless too, very apprehensively.
      Everything went very smoothly for the install. My rims were factory taped.
      Tires pumped right up with no apparent leaks at all.
      But, it was 2 days later for the first ride and both tires had lost down to <10 pounds. This worried me but I pumped them up and rode it with more pressure than normal.
      Now, 5 days later, neither tire seems to have lost any at all.

As a side item….all of my tire pressures are by the "squeeze it" method. Can any body recommend a guage that actually works on prestas?

Also interesting to me was that in my tubeless conversion, I used a schrader adapter to add air so I could use the compressor. The adapter fit snuggly and removed the valve cores when taking it off.

What rims are you using?

I just use the guage on my floor pump, I don’t have a seperate guage.

I’ve got the Stan’s kit installed on my Specialized Pitch Pro. Love it! Been using it for at least two years with no flats…

Minimal air loss, with no leaks. I just add air as necessary before each ride. I’m using the supplied yellow tape, and rimstrips.

I also use the gauge on my floor pump (lezyne dirt drive, watch the blog for a review)

A friend got this digital gauge and he really likes it:
      http://goo.gl/Kibca

"thumperteg" wrote

I’ve got the Stan’s kit installed on my Specialized Pitch Pro. Love it! Been using it for at least two years with no flats…

Minimal air loss, with no leaks. I just add air as necessary before each ride. I’m using the supplied yellow tape, and rimstrips.

I used the Stans strip on my daughter’s Easton XC one wheels. Installation was stupid simple, they inflated on the first try and even though it’s been too cold to ride it yet, they have had very minimal air loss.

"maddslacker" wrote

I also use the gauge on my floor pump (lezyne dirt drive, watch the blog for a review)

A friend got this digital gauge and he really likes it:
      http://goo.gl/Kibca

There’s also this, which I’ll be reviewing soon:

http://www.prestaflator.com/

"jeff" wrote

There’s also this, which I’ll be reviewing soon:

http://www.prestaflator.com/

Every month I have been staring at that in the ad section of Bike magazine .. can’t wait to see your review!

What rims are you using?

I just use the guage on my floor pump, I don’t have a seperate guage.

I have Sun Black flag Expert rims/wheels. When you buy them retail, they come taped and include stems and goo too. As these came on my bike, I got none of the accessories but was pleasantly surprised to find that the rims were taped.

I had waited until having a tire issue to change to tubeless. While riding the olympic trail in Atlanta I was thinking how lucky I was to have ridden so long with NO TIRE ISSUES AT ALL. I was going too fast to knock on any wood at the time ;( So, the next morning I have 2 flats so went ahead and did the conversion.

On the gauge issue, I now plan to use the pump gauge and have ordered a nicer pump. On the tubes that came on the bike, the stem was so short that I could not get the pump to connect; so always had to use the compressor. The Stan’s are long enough.

m

"detvarjag" wrote

I have Sun Black flag Expert rims/wheels. When you buy them retail, they come taped and include stems and goo too. As these came on my bike, I got none of the accessories but was pleasantly surprised to find that the rims were taped.

I have the same wheels and they are great for tubeless. Last summer I had to replace a spoke and I nearly cried when I realized the guys at the shop would have to remove the tape from the inside of the rim–it looked so perfect and worked so well! Fortunately they did a great job and I haven’t had any issues with the new tape job either.

"jeff" wrote

[quote="detvarjag":1h6eon6n]I have Sun Black flag Expert rims/wheels. When you buy them retail, they come taped and include stems and goo too. As these came on my bike, I got none of the accessories but was pleasantly surprised to find that the rims were taped.

I have the same wheels and they are great for tubeless. Last summer I had to replace a spoke and I nearly cried when I realized the guys at the shop would have to remove the tape from the inside of the rim–it looked so perfect and worked so well! Fortunately they did a great job and I haven’t had any issues with the new tape job either.[/quote:1h6eon6n]

Here’s a tip:
      Cut an "X" over the spoke hole for the spoke/nipple that needs to be replaced. Take out the old, put in a new, repair wheel. Then clean the area off really well around the hole for the replaced spoke, and put a 2" long piece of tape over top of the existing tape and the hole you cut in it.

I’ve done this on a few repairs I’ve made and it works great, and is a lot faster than pulling the tape, cleaning, and putting all new tape back on. You wont run out of tape as fast either!

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.