Quick review of the new GoPro Hero3

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

I recently picked up a GoPro Hero3 Silver. I hadn’t been able to find much online for personal reviews so I figured I’d give my own.

First off: This thing is way more awesome than my original Hero in every way possible.

The things I like most:
      -No more clicking noises in vids!
      -Smaller size: Can’t even feel it attached to my helmet.
      -microSD up to 64gigs: Never run out of space.
      -720p at 60fps: Clean slow-mo.
      -11mp photos with plenty of burst and time lapse options
      -built in wifi for remote control and GoPro App

The only negatives I’ve found so far:
      -You need the wifi remote to take full advantage of the photo burst mode (if doing self-shots)
      -The Hero3 Black edition is the only Hero3 that can be used with the GoPro app at this time. The Silver and White editions have a firmware update coming on November 12th that will unlock this feature…however, the app is not yet available for Android with no date for release 😢

I have only made a few test videos, nothing worth posting (or even uploading for that matter) but I’ve recorded in 720p at 60fps and 960p at 50fps with Protune enabled and the Hero3 definitely records better quality footage than the original Hero. I’m still recovering from some shoulder damage but will hopefully be out on the trail recording some action soon as I’ve been givent he okay to ease back into riding.

The Hero3 Silver mounted to my full face helmet with the Front Helmet Mount:

I’m just thinking about to buy a Hero, after my Drift Innovation Cam died after a few weeks of useage, but they are aresome expensive.

Does it have any kind of remote control, next to a smart phone (what must be an iPhone, if I get you right)? That would make not much sense to me, cos I place me phone eiter in the rucksack or in the sattlebag.

k, figured it out by myself. You can buy a WiFi Remote Control for anoter 80 bucks…. 😕

"ollysj" wrote

k, figured it out by myself. You can buy a WiFi Remote Control for anoter 80 bucks…. 😕

Right. Purchasing the Black edition for $399 is the best deal considering it comes with the $80 wifi remote control and it has even better specs than the Silver.

"jtorlando25" wrote

Right. Purchasing the Black edition for $399 is the best deal considering it comes with the $80 wifi remote control and it has even better specs than the Silver.

Yep, it’s only $20 more and worth the additional money

The 120FPS is worth it alone.

I would be so scared of clipping that thing on a tree. I usually brush my shoulders against a tree two or three times each ride.

That’s one sturdy looking protective case though, I bet it could take on a few trees! 😆

Edit: Wow, hopefully that last sentence makes sense now.

For myself, I’ll give the Drift another chance. I was satisfied with it, until it dies…

[url:3l8ergny]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV29AsFLQS4&sns=em[/url:3l8ergny]

Was finally able to test it out on the trail this weekend. Recorded in 720 @ 60fps. Looks great IMO.

Recorded at Meadowood Recreational Facility…one of the more flat and relatively boring trails near my work. I’m still recovering from a 3 week old separated shoulder so my riding is very slow and noobish and every now and then my left arm just kinda spazzes out in pain so I’m all over the place at times…don’t hate 😆

There have been discussions on other boards concerning the Hero3 and the differences from the Hero2. Personally, I’d be fine with a Hero2, as the upgrades the 3 comes with aren’t necessary for me. I don’t need all the benefits the Hero3 Black comes with, and the Silver is basically the Hero2 plus a few bells and whistles, White same as the Hero plus a few things (Wifi, etc.), so I’m hoping everyone will jump on the 3 and inundate eBay with Hero2s on the cheap.

Yes, the Hero3 is smaller and packs more features standard, but I don’t need all those things, so I don’t see a need to spend the extra money. Don’t get me wrong, it is still a nice video capture unit, and maybe I’ll own one eventually, but I’ll be fine with a Hero2 on the cheap. And considering places like REI were already putting the outdoor edition Hero2 at $199, it may get added to my Christmas list.

"AJ711" wrote

There have been discussions on other boards concerning the Hero3 and the differences from the Hero2.

Right. And this is not one of those threads. 😀

Nope. And from what I’ve seen from SEMA people, the Hero3 is pretty dang sweet. If I could swing the price of the new unit (or have received the $100 off coupon people at SEMA received) I might consider the Hero3.

That video is pretty smooth. I’ll watch it at home on a better monitor and with speakers (yay work)but the picture seemed pretty nice.

"Jared13" wrote

I would be so scared of clipping that thing on a tree. I usually brush my shoulders against a tree two or three times each ride.

That’s one sturdy looking protective case though, I bet it could take on a few trees! 😆

Edit: Wow, hopefully that last sentence makes sense now.

If you buy a protection plan, they will replace it w/ a brand new one. I bought a Hero with a Best Buy 1 yr protection plan (extra 35 i believe). I broke mine within that time frame and got a Hero2 because the 1st gen was already discontinued.

Nice video. I am in the market for a camera, but still deciding between Contour and GoPro, as well as what price point I want to commit to.

I need to put a NOVA trip together and hit up this place, Fountainhead, etc.

"fleetwood" wrote

Nice video. I am in the market for a camera, but still deciding between Contour and GoPro, as well as what price point I want to commit to.

Have you been to Fountainhead before? Really fun place!

"fleetwood" wrote

From my experience with Contour, I’d recommend the GoPro.

"UnclePatches" wrote

Have you been to Fountainhead before? Really fun place!

That trail alone is worth the trip!

Last time I was out there it was pretty battered. I expect that it’ll be all jacked up after this weekend’s time trial.

"UnclePatches" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":1vzatx01]Nice video. I am in the market for a camera, but still deciding between Contour and GoPro, as well as what price point I want to commit to.

Have you been to Fountainhead before? Really fun place![/quote:1vzatx01]

No, I haven’t. If I am thinking of the right place, the pics remind me of Freedom Park in W’burg — lots of man made wooden features. Looked fun.

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":3k0r2idg]Nice video. I am in the market for a camera, but still deciding between Contour and GoPro, as well as what price point I want to commit to.

From my experience with Contour, I’d recommend the GoPro.[/quote:3k0r2idg]

Care to elaborate?

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="UnclePatches":2h2zov9s]
      No, I haven’t. If I am thinking of the right place, the pics remind me of Freedom Park in W’burg — lots of man made wooden features. Looked fun.

[/quote:2h2zov9s]
      Don’t let those old pics fool you. All the teeter totters you see in the pics have been removed. There’s one section of the trail that has a "skills park" which consists of a couple 2×4 skinnies to ride and there’s a very long tree skinny you’ll come across in a gully (where the wood ttfs you see in the pics used to be) that’s about it. The only other wooden feature is a 4′ or so drop/roller. The rest of the trail is sweet moto inspired dirt berms, whoops, and jumps. flow for days. Then the back section is rocky rooty gnarcore. It’s a great mix.

If you click on my youtube link a few posts back and dig around in my vids, there’s a long unedited vid of the first few miles of fountainhead.

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":1lvyhu8s][quote="fleetwood":1lvyhu8s]Nice video. I am in the market for a camera, but still deciding between Contour and GoPro, as well as what price point I want to commit to.

From my experience with Contour, I’d recommend the GoPro.[/quote:1lvyhu8s]

Care to elaborate?[/quote:1lvyhu8s]

I had the GPS model. Has built in GPS, and bluetooth connectivity with a smart phone app to use your phone as a viewfinder and make changes to the cameras. It’s really buggy. Now, I haven’t used it in a long time and there may be software upgrades to fix some of the issues by now.

The GPS wouldn’t work unless you pulled the battery before your ride for a minute or two to reset it. If you didn’t, the indicator light would say you have GPS signal, but when you get home and upload the video there’s no GPS data.

The bluetooth connection would cut out randomly, usually you got about 10-30seconds before it would disconnect. If you changed any of the settings with the app it would sometimes change the video setting to something custom, and your video would be totally black.

When in use it would occassionally freeze up and you’d have to pull the battery to reset it. The ‘editing’ software really only lets you trim off footage from the begining and end of a clip, you can’t splice clips together, cut a middle section out of the clip, or add titles or music, and the file type doesn’t work with Microsoft Moviemaker which comes free on many Windows PC’s. It works on the Mac software though.

The one I used is about a year old, so like I said maybe they’ve improved them, but I’d defintily read up on some reviews before dropping the cash.

I like the slide record button a lot though, easy to use with gloves without looking at the camera. And the video quality was really good I thought.

GoPro has way more mounting options.

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":iks8ycxu][quote="UnclePatches":iks8ycxu]

[/quote:iks8ycxu]
      Don’t let those old pics fool you. All the teeter totters you see in the pics have been removed. There’s one section of the trail that has a "skills park" which consists of a couple 2×4 skinnies to ride and there’s a very long tree skinny you’ll come across in a gully (where the wood ttfs you see in the pics used to be) that’s about it. The only other wooden feature is a 4′ or so drop/roller. The rest of the trail is sweet moto inspired dirt berms, whoops, and jumps. flow for days. Then the back section is rocky rooty gnarcore. It’s a great mix.

If you click on my youtube link a few posts back and dig around in my vids, there’s a long unedited vid of the first few miles of fountainhead.[/quote:iks8ycxu]

The new portion is a lot of fun! Nice flow and love the berms!

Update:

The app is now available for Android and a firmware update was released earlier this month for the Hero3 Silver so I was able to download the app and test it out this week. It’s freaking awesome.

There is some lag between what the camera is actually pointing at and what you see on your phone screen. However, being able to frame your shot before you go ride with the camera pointed at the ground is so sweet. Not to mention, all camera settings can be changed via the app so setting changes on the fly are 10 times easier now.

I still haven’t done any riding worthy of an edit but I’m hoping to get down to Freedom Park soon and will definitely be taking some footage there.

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.