Quick Poll. Best Mt bike magazine to subscribe to??

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

What do you think?

#1: Dirt Rag
      #2: Bike Mag

Everything else I only read every now and then.

The Best of the Best! 😄

#1….Dirt Rag
      #2….Dirt MTB
      #3….Bike

Off Magazine….BMX Plus

I’m always happy to read Bike and Dirt Rag. I can usually pass on the rest.

I love Dirt Rag, but tend to pass over their "hipster cyclist" stuff and just stick to the actual bike content. The other magazines don’t seem to appeal as much to the recreational rider(me), so I don’t read them religiously.

Seems like there are a lot of niche / online (iPad) magazines popping up lately. Anyone read any of those?

"trek7k" wrote

Seems like there are a lot of niche / online (iPad) magazines popping up lately. Anyone read any of those?

Nah, I stick to the trees… 😆 Paper back that is, as it makes good reading material when ya can’t be at the helm of the iPad or computer. Brothers. ya know where i mean… 😆 😆 😆

For me:
      1. Bike
      2. Dirt Rag
      3. MB Action

"trek7k" wrote

I have both Bike and Dirt Rag on iPad and I do think it’s pretty cool. Some of the things I like is if I’m interested in something and want to further check it out, many sections let you just tap on it and it will bring you right to the webpage for the product or company within seconds…pretty nice! Another cool thing is you can read it in the dark, no light required. Also, in addition to my cycling mags, I have dozens of others right there on my iPad, no magazines all over the house. So in other words, my wife’s not giving me the "Get rid of those damn mountain bike magazines" speeches quite as often. 😆 Plus, if I’m traveling, I can take them all with me without carrying a ton of paper.

"joetutt" wrote

I have both Bike and Dirt Rag on iPad and I do think it’s pretty cool. Some of the things I like is if I’m interested in something and want to further check it out, many sections let you just tap on it and it will bring you right to the webpage for the product or company within seconds…pretty nice! Another cool thing is you can read it in the dark, no light required. Also, in addition to my cycling mags, I have dozens of others right there on my iPad, no magazines all over the house. So in other words, my wife’s not giving me the "Get rid of those damn mountain bike magazines" speeches quite as often. Plus, if I’m traveling, I can take them all with me without carrying a ton of paper

My kids have been bugging the snot out of my wife and I for an Ipad, maybe I might have to have a closer look.

BTW joetutt, if you don’t work in sales you probably should, you’ve almost convinced me to drop $500 in one paragraph!

"trek7k" wrote

I used to read dirt rag on zinio on occasion when I was procrastinating about buying a paper subscription. I’m mostly paper, though. If Im reading online it’s usually blogs.

1.) Mountain Bike Action
      2.) Dirt Rag

😄 Later,

1) Dirt Rag
      2) Bike
      3) Decline

Ahh man, I forgot about Decline. I used to read that, but stopped because I already had three other mags.

Is there one called Descent? Really high quality paper,$10.00 per issue? I’d get that one,haha.

"GALAXY" wrote

Is there one called Descent? Really high quality paper,$10.00 per issue? I’d get that one,haha.

I think you are speaking of Decline, but it is $8 per issue.

I was wondering if anyone else happened to pick the new switchback zine? I scooped up there 1st issue at Barnes and Noble and thought it seemed pretty legit. I’ll grab issue 2 to see if they can keep me interested.

Hehe, was that the one whose first article was a beer review? I ended up tossing it after going halfway through it. Seemed written for hipsters.

There were two brand new mb magazines when I was there so I might be thinking of the wrong one.

"schwim" wrote

Hehe, was that the one whose first article was a beer review? I ended up tossing it after going halfway through it. Seemed written for hipsters.

There were two brand new mb magazines when I was there so I might be thinking of the wrong one.

Yea it did have a beer article, but I gotta ask, what is a "hipster"? And what if there was something in the second half you may have enjoyed?)

hip·ster/?hipst?r/
      Noun:
      A person who follows the latest trends and fashions.

To have an idea of why it would be considered derogatory, simply look at the definition that they give themselves.

"jayzilla" wrote

what if there was something in the second half you may have enjoyed?)

If my mtb magazine finds beer to be of enough importance to the mountain biking sport to put it as their first article in their first magazine, I can rest easy with the surety that I wasn’t going to find any information that I couldn’t live without in the rest of the magazine.

Haha, you know for a sec I thinking, wait, what if I’m a hipster! Thankfully, after reading a few of those definitions, I’m now certain I’m no hipster!) One attribute I do seam to share with them is I do tend to shop at thrift store a lot:) I really got a kick outta definition #6.

I thought those folks are mostly into single speed messenger type bikes.

I can see where your coming from about the whole beer thing and hadn’t thought that much about it. I’m not a big drinker (maybe 5-6 beers a year…maybe) and am still fairly new to mountain biking but have thought it seems there is a lot of beer drinking that is associated with mountain biking.

I have no hard feelings towards anyone that decides to have a beer or 17 after a ride. My issue is simply with the spoon-fed marketing. Not only do whole groups of people purchase a particular beer because it’s named after a part on their bike, but because these companies are paying the magazines in the form of ad revenue, we have to lose article space so a magazine touted to be about mountain biking can have a hard hitting test to see which is best this month: handlebar ale or chainstay lager.

If I need to know which gimmick beer to drink, I’ll buy a really expensive gimmick beer magazine at the book shop. I don’t need my bike magazine to fill this gap.

I read most of the first issue of switchback. Thought it was good for the most part, but I actually thought it was a little long-winded (this, coming from an English major). Seriously, do we need a detailed written description of every single tube and junction on the bike? That’s what the pictures are for!!

But for the most part, I thought it was good. Not sure how it will fair against established heavyweights such as Dirt Rag and Bike, since those publications are already so good and switchback doesn’t seem to be doing anything radically different (at least, not yet).

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.