Questions About Mountain Biking

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi everyone!
      I’m a student in the EPG program at Berea College and I was wondering if I you could answer a few questions. If you feel uncomfortable or do not want to answer certain questions feel free to skip them.Our group would really appreciate it if you could help us out! Thanks so much!

Our questions include:
      How far do you usually travel to participate in mountain biking?<span class=”text_exposed_show”>
      How many people do you usually go with?
      Do you stay overnight? If you do what kind of places do you stay at? (hotel, campground, etc.)
      How much do you spend on an average trip?
      How do you find out about events?
      Why do you mountain bike?</span>

Are these questions geared for responses related to traveling/vacations for mountain biking, or from an average daily/weekly perspective?

If traveling/vacationing… 

How far do you usually travel to participate in mountain biking? 1,000-2,000 miles
      How many people do you usually go with? 2-4
      Do you stay overnight? If you do what kind of places do you stay at? (hotel, campground, etc.)  Yes. Condominium.
      How much do you spend on an average trip?  $3,000-$5,000
      How do you find out about events?  Websites, magazines
      Why do you mountain bike? It’s fun!  Exercise.  Great hobby.

If average daily/weekly… 

How far do you usually travel to participate in mountain biking? 5-20 miles
      How many people do you usually go with? 1-2
      Do you stay overnight? If you do what kind of places do you stay at? (hotel, campground, etc.)  No.
      How much do you spend on an average trip?  $5
      How do you find out about events?  Websites, magazines
      Why do you mountain bike? It’s fun!  Exercise.  Great hobby.

This data is a few years old, but you might find it helpful.

Mountain Bike Tourism: By the Numbers

If traveling/vacationing… 

How far do you usually travel to participate in mountain biking? 150 to 500 miles
      How many people do you usually go with? 2-10
      Do you stay overnight? If you do what kind of places do you stay at? (hotel, campground, etc.)  Yes. cheap hotels on short trips, condo trade on week long trips.
      How much do you spend on an average trip?  $500 to $1500
      How do you find out about events?  Websites, clubs, bike shops
      Why do you mountain bike? It’s fun!  Exercise. getting too old for motocross and dirt bikes.

If average daily/weekly… 

How far do you usually travel to participate in mountain biking? 15-45 miles
      How many people do you usually go with? 1-2
      Do you stay overnight? If you do what kind of places do you stay at? (hotel, campground, etc.)  No.
      How much do you spend on an average trip?  $20 to 40 (lunch and beer after)

Just so you have a bit of a different perspective. I have found that mountain bikers have a spirit of adventure and love to travel and see new sights. I used to travel a lot, globally for the better part of 20 years. I am now retired and still ride several times a week locally. I am fortunate enough to have several rural trails that I can access with minimal travel and have helped enhance them for everyone’s benefit.

How far do you usually travel to participate in mountain biking?  – Less than 3 miles most of the time
      How many people do you usually go with?  – Just me mostly. I can go at my own pace and challenge myself as necessary. I do carry my phone just in case I crash hard.
      Do you stay overnight? If you do what kind of places do you stay at? (hotel, campground, etc.) – Usually stay at my house
      How much do you spend on an average trip? – Nothing
      How do you find out about events? – I attend them every so often to see the new bikes and skill level of the regional riders
      Why do you mountain bike? – Not in any particular order; to stay fit, to challenge myself, the risk factor, being a part of and experiencing the natural surroundings and… it is just plain fun!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.