Questions about a possible used bike purchase

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,
      Newb Mtn biker here. I’ve just moved to Colorado from the South East US, and I’m starting to do some biking. Currently I have a heavy Walmart bike that is just not cutting it on the CO trails. I do not have a ton of available funds so I’ve been looking for something used on Craigslist that I can add better components to as I go along.

I’ve found an 2006 Ibex Alpine HT for a pretty good price; however there are some problems with it. Here are the sellers claims to the issues:

"There are two issues with the bike though, the first is the right crank arm has one of the Candy C pedals stuck and I have been unable to get it out. And, the second issue with the bike is that the bottom bracket should be replaced as one of the crank arms comes off due to the splines being worn down. I tried to replace the BB but I could not remove the entire BB from the shell, one of the bearings is shot and the left side cup is seized into the BB shell. I was able to get out half of the bottom bracket but it seems like a little more work to get the left cup and bearing out may be needed. The next course of action would probably be to heat the BB shell to expand the metal to be able to remove the cup."

I’m not the most versed in repairing bikes, as I’ve just started riding again since my teens. Is this a major problem that could leave the frame unusable without major repair? Or is this something I could bring to a shop and get fixed for pretty cheap? Could I just completely replace the cranks and bearings and have a running bike?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Buying a bike that needs repairs can be a good way to get a deal. Buying a bike that needs repairs and where the former owner attempted to make unsuccessful repairs, is a good way to inherit a nightmare.

If you’re not in a super hurry, another option is the Denver Veloswap next month.

http://veloswap.competitor.com/

In the meantime, don’t give up on craigslist. When I first moved here in 2004 I got a sweet deal on a Specialized Rockhopper for $150 that I mountain biked with for a couple years and which I am still riding as a commuter bike to this day.

I wouldn’t touch anything that sounds like it is having that many problems. I would suggest hitting up a few of the LBS, they are bound to have some really good deals on some quality used bikes. Plus it will help you establish a riding network.

"Stabadie" wrote

"There are two issues with the bike though, the first is the right crank arm has one of the Candy C pedals stuck and I have been unable to get it out. And, the second issue with the bike is that the bottom bracket should be replaced as one of the crank arms comes off due to the splines being worn down. I tried to replace the BB but I could not remove the entire BB from the shell, one of the bearings is shot and the left side cup is seized into the BB shell. I was able to get out half of the bottom bracket but it seems like a little more work to get the left cup and bearing out may be needed. The next course of action would probably be to heat the BB shell to expand the metal to be able to remove the cup."

I wonder if he tried to turn them clockwise to losen them….

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.