Question For You Climbers

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I am conflicted on whether or not to go with a 11-34, or a 11-32. I have never ridden a 34. Both my bikes have a top of 32. I have no problem climbing the steeps of the front range of Colorado and am usually the first to the top in my group. However I am not very good at climbing over obstacles (Larger rocks and roots etc.) Not sure if its my technique (I bet it is) or if it will be a bit easier with a 34 tooth gear on the top.
      Any ideas?

If you can do the hills in 32t stay there. The obsticles are easier in the higher gear because your speed will be higher to get over the roots rocks ect. Keep an eye out for a hard object to clear and increase your speed before the obsticle and use your sponsor Mo Mentum. Fat old people (like me) need the lower 34t gear to get started after we don’t make the obsticle after watching fast fit guys pop over and go. If you are worried about spinning the tire(tyre) get your speed up and pull up on the pedals instead of mashing down when you hit the root/rock and you’ll keep traction in most cases. Practice makes perfect. 😄 Later,

Oh yeah, many bike with short cage deraullers can’t go to a larger cassette so check with your LBS before you order something you can’t use. Been there done that!

I enjoy bikes with a 34 tooth because that really allows you to gear down if you need it. I figure you never HAVE to shift down, but it’s there if you need it! 😉

Difficulty with obstacles is probably mostly form, but if it’s on a steep uphill having a lower gear could definitely help with that too.

Don’t get me wrong fellas, its not like I ride with Tom Danielson or Lance. I am 53 and a bit heavy myself. I just enjoy climbing. I’m still on the fence but leaning toward the 32.

And I for sure know that my form and technique is lacking. I’m going to have to youtube some lessons on technical climbing and descents. Plus I separated my shoulder and cracked ribs last Oct. So I also am lacking some confidence.

Like you said Practice, practice, practice!

I’ve ridden a 30, 32 and 34 and I definitely like the 34. Like mtbgreg said, it’s there when you need it. (Think Moab, Slickrock Trail)

I say 34, it’s what I’m running on mine.

The 34 will allow you to stay in the middle ring longer when you get caught on a steep climb in the wrong gear. It will add a tiny bit of weight to the cassette. where i ride there are some shorter, but steep climbs, and my bike is heavy, so the 34 is primo for me. I suggest you try the 34. It’s nice to have a bail-out gear, even if you don’t use it that often. 😎

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.