Question for Tampa Bay Area Riders

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

How would you guys rate/compare the trails at Carter, Alafia & Balm-Boyette?

I haven’t ridden all of the advanced trails at all three as of yet but have ridden all of the beginner and intermediates. So far, for beginner trails they are all about the same, IMO, though the ones at Balm Boyette may rate a little higher simply because of the length and the way the trails vary.

For intermediate, I would say that Alafia has the best Intermediate trails(Rollercoaster and North Creek are just awesome!) with Carter coming in second and Boyette in 3rd (though they are still fun to ride).

As for Advanced, I really enjoyed riding Ridgeline and Pandemonium yesterday at Boyette. Those two trail are just intensely fast! I rode part of Abyss (north) but was a bit intimidated by the south abyss. maybe next time. Fingers and Rollercoaster at Carter are pretty awesome but being shorter than the Advanced trails I have ridden at Boyette, I would have to say that for Advanced I would rate Boyette at the top and Carter second until I try those at Alafia. but the ones at Alafia seem pretty intimidating in some areas for a newbie. But I will definitely check them out soon…even if that means having to walk my ride a few time.

How would you guys rate these 3 parks against each other?

CP1

Well bro, I am sure others would chime in here, like ‘Scotty’ whom rides these trails more than me… 😆

From personal experience, Carter and Alafia are the same as per blackdiamond trails. I will say that Gatorback and Moonscape (Alafia) are a bit more challenging then what Carter has to offer. For a newb to blackdiamond trails, I would not recommend Gatorback though, as it is tough, and mean tough bro. I stay off of it unless I am on my HT or lighter AM/FR bike, but even then, it is tough. Moonscape is pretty tough as well bro. I would say, if you are willing to try them, shred Bridges first, and the few single to double blackdiamond trails here and there throughout the trails (like the ones spurring off of Roller Coaster, Shelly’s Loop, Franks Loop, and OAF). If you can do those, then you are ready for Moonscape per say, and maybe Gatorback.

My 14 year old son shreds Moonscape on my Santa Cruz Bullit (w/ triple crown), though he does walk on a few places because he never maintains his speed at all times. A work in progress with him… 😆 He also did Gatorback among all the other blackdiamond trails.

In the long run, when you feel ready, that’s when you should hammer them.

As per Balm, nothing real technical challenging for me per say (of course not to a newb though), but I cannot rate Balm in with either Carter or Alafia, because it is not as challenging as the others.

Hope this helps bro! 😃

I’ll chime in since there’s not much traffic here. I’ve ridden Alafia numerous times over the last year and Balm Boyette several times, but not as much. As a comparison, I’ve also ridden several other trails around Florida once or twice each as I travel around for my job.

I seem to think of Alafia as more "groomed" and an overall "nicer" experience. Balm Boyette seems more rugged and natural just because of the surroundings. I like how there are more choices and more available miles at Balm Boyette. I would have to say that my absolute favorite trails that just seem to fit my riding style right now are North Creek (w/ Buzzard Bay) and Roller Coaster. I’m venturing more into the black trails, so I learn something every time I go out.

I haven’t ridden Carter Rd., yet, but I plan to soon. I recently rode Santos and thought it was great, but I was a bit surprised at what they call "intermediate" trails. Those would be beginner trails at Alafia! At Santos I rode everything, including Vortex, and only had to walk a few things.

I’ve also ridden Tallahasse, Markham, Oleta, Amelia, and Malacompra, and I haven’t found anything I like better than Alafia and Balm Boyette. Maybe it’s just sentimental?

Have fun.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.