Question about your knees

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

When you ride, are your knees tucked in or are they out or are they sort of neutral? I have been riding with my knees in more than normal, but on Sunday I was trying with my knees pointed out and it felt like I had more control.

I’m not talking about waaayyy out, just a little more out than normal.

Thoughts?

This is a personal thing per say (personal preference other words), because you should ride with what feels good for you. If it feels good for you, it does not hurt, and if you have better control, then go for it bro. I ride both ways.

On-On!

I’ve actually noticed a lot of variation in this among different riders and I think it’s mostly due to genetics.

That being said, do what works for you and move your body however you need to to contain control and balance.

As for me, i’m a knees tucked in rider, my legs just naturally go that way.

When I climb I keep my knees in for more power transfer. I will vary the position as much as my 5 degree pedals allow as I get more tired. I used Speedplays on my road bike which give more float for longer roadrides(the old days). Knee position is personal choice but changing position helps me as I get tired. 😄 Later,

For seated pedaling and climbing, I like to keep my knees ‘square’ and pumping straight up and down with no side to side movement. Feels more powerful and is better for the joints.

For descending/riding technical stuff, I’m all over the place.

OK, thanks guys! I think I do need to be more agile on the bike, but that takes a lot of time to learn and build those muscles and technique. Of course, since I rode a couple weeks ago, the gods have looked down upon me and given us a lot of snow. Guess I’ll have to train on the indoor bike. 😃

Don’t let the snow stop you. Inside is boring!!!! Bundle up and hit the trails!

There is a couple feet now out where I ride. 😢 And more on the way!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.