Question about snakes …

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Fellow Southern Riders,
      I’m coming in from Southern California to visit family this week. I plan to do some riding at Coldwater in Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina.

I’ve ridden cold water before and noticed the "watch out for rattlesnakes" on every single trail marker. Just curious about what the snake situation is this time of year. I’m a bit of a weany as if you cannot tell already.

Thank you in advance for any input here.

Best,
      Monte

Most of the time they will leave the area when they feel or hear you coming. If you happen to surprise a snake while it is sun bathing or something just stop before you get to it if you can. Once it sees you most of the time they will leave. Every now and then you get the ones that want to stand their ground. I just get a stick or something and throw it in the area of the snake (not to injure it) and they usually strike at it and leave. Hope this helps.

I haven’t seen any this time of year. I saw a couple earlier this year. Generally, I’ve found that the rattlers stand their ground more than the other breeds. If I catch it in time, I do as suggested above, stopping and just disturbing enough to get them off the trail. If I’m going to fast to stop, I pull my legs up and roll by him at speed.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.