Putting together a tool kit

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

So I have searched the forum and found a thread for people showing pics of their home shops. I was curious what most people would suggest for someone getting ready to build their own home shop. First off I live in a apartment and don’t have much room so a garage setup is not an option. However in the future this may be the case and a good start in that direction would be nice to have ready. First off I am in the process of trying to get a park tools bike stand, torque wrench and bits set for my birthday from the old lady. I figured the second step would be the cassette remover and chain whip. Has anyone had any experience with the park tools chain whip that incorporates the 15mm pedal tool. I figure kill two birds with one stone here. Of course I have a couple of crank bros multi tools sitting around, but don’t want to rely on these as my only tools. Any thoughts or suggestions on needed tools for a home shop. I ride a full suspension all mtn rig and have a few road bikes between me and the old lady.

Thanks

Hey tarvisq, good question. First, check out this blog post I did a while back if you haven’t seen it yet.

As for which tools to get, assuming you get the stand and torque wrench (EXCELLENT start by the way) here’s what I’d get, listed in order of importance:

-T-handle allen wrech set
      -L shaped allen wrench set
      -Screwdrivers
      -needle nose pliars (I have both a straight and curved set)
      -Adjustable wrench
      -Wire cutters
      -chain tool
      -cassette lockring tool
      -chainwhip (I have the one w/the pedal wrench, works fine, the chain is a little bothersome when using the pedal wrench tho)
      -chainring bolt wrench
      -Bottom Bracket tool (whatever works for the BB you have now)
      -Cone wrenches (I rarely need these…but when you do need them, they’re the only thing that will do)

^^You can fit all of that stuff in a relatively small toolbox that wont take up a ton of space and is nice and portable. You could pretty much tear your bike apart and reassemble it with that stuff.

Then there’s other component specific tools, like brake bleed kits, hub tools, etc., and those very rarely used tools like headset installers and whatnot. Pick those up as you need them.

Good bike stand is a plus for sure. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

Good bike stand is a plus for sure. 😄 Later,

man, plus a lot to this one. I bought two cheap stands and sent them back(broken) before I finally bought the Park PCS-10 stand. A poorly designed stand is less handy than just working on the ground.

Does anyone have any experience with the park tools stand pcs-9 over the pcs-10? I don’t know if going with the 10 over the 9 is work the costs.

"tarvisg" wrote

Does anyone have any experience with the park tools stand pcs-9 over the pcs-10? I don’t know if going with the 10 over the 9 is work the costs.

PCS-9 vs. PCS-10 table.

I went with the PCS-10 for the quick adjusting height primarily.

I would put a cable housing cutter high on that list as well dgaddis. But you pretty much nailed it. 😃

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can someone help me decide between [url:rgh3qdp4]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40997[/url:rgh3qdp4] and [url:rgh3qdp4]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55963[/url:rgh3qdp4]? I’d be very greatful 😀
      E-cookie to anyone who helps. I am also willing to consider other similar tools kits

Don’t forget to get some body armor, because if you keep calling your "lady" old she’s gonna slap you silly.LOL

"troythe8th" wrote

I would put a cable housing cutter high on that list as well dgaddis. But you pretty much nailed it. 😃

Good wire/cable cutters work just fine for cutting housing 😉

(good to see you here Troy!)

dedicated cable/housing cutters are hard to beat, but in a pinch I made some nice clean cuts with a hammer and flat chisel on cement. Necessity … and all that. (cable only, not housing)

Please don’t waste your time and money on a parktool stand (great tools, bad stands). Get a wrench force classic stand(trek). Simple and easy to use. http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?ite … pe=PRODUCT

"dozzerboy" wrote

Please don’t waste your time and money on a parktool stand (great tools, bad stands). Get a wrench force classic stand(trek). Simple and easy to use. http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?ite … pe=PRODUCT

Absolutely love my Park stand.

Please waste your money on the Park stands.

How long have you had your’s?

😆 I had one at my shop and it broke within 5 weeks of use….

I’ve had mine for three months. My riding buddy has had his much longer(I bought mine primarily through his experience) and he’s a very happy camper with it.

I had the opposite experience to you, I guess. I threw away my POS Parktool multi-tool after it fell apart on me without even 5 uses under it’s belt.

I guess it all depends on how the day’s going for the guy that built your stuff 😀

Maybe it was sympathy breakage from association with all those Trek frames … 😼

Yeah. Good old QC and what it used to be! 😆

It’s been my expirience that if it’s a garbage product made by a reputable company then it usually was made either Mon. morning, Fri. evening or any time on pay day

JSF

I got tired of taking my bikes to the shop (poor/incompetent work, expensive, long repair times, etc.), and so last year I decided to turn part of my garage into a home bike shop. I’m very happy with how it came out. I have not had any of my bikes in the shop since finishing the project, and I have already saved a small fortune. Also, I find doing my own repair and upgrade work very rewarding–makes riding more fun. 😀

I have a very detailed list of all the tools in my home bike shop (updated regularly) along with pictures and video here. Hopefully that will give anyone looking to cut the LBS tether some good ideas.

Would any of these stand be simple enough to take into the field yet still work well? I’ve been just hanging my bike from an open door by the seat, which has some drawbacks both for the door and while working on bike.

Remember, clamp the seat post, not the frame! I like to slip out the post and seat and use one dedicated for the stand – just make sure to mark your post so you don’t mess up the height. That way, I don’t ding up the seat with tools/grease. I’ve had my park stand for at least 15 years.

When I was a kid and my 14th b-day brought me my first 10speed (12/30/73), I also received "anybody’s bike book". A really cute illustrated book for bicycle maintenance. I laughed at the section on handle bar taping (tuck and roll handle bars for border crossing). It had a section on building your own stand using an old tire, cement… I tried it, but never could get the clamp to work. A few years later, I spend a summer as a mechanic in a bike shop in Manhattan, but that’s a whole nother story.

A few years ago, I was given a toolbox put together by Performance Bike under its spin doctor brand. Good set of allen wrenches, useable chain whip, etc. But I would choose Park spanners, cable cutters and chain tool over the spin doctor stuff. A lot of stuff should simply be buy as needed.

What to people here like for lubes? I have always liked finish line stuff on my road bike, but being new to MTB, perhaps there’s different ideas.

So I have been slacking on getting the kit together.

I used my REI dividends finally with the sweet 20% off coupon and picked up the PCS-10 Stand. I can’t wait to use it soon. Once I get used to using it I might have to actually start picking up the necessary tools.

I just spent some $$$$ and now have a full assortment of wheel building/repairing tools. Park TS2.2 truing stand, tension meter, spoke wrenches, thru-axle adaptor for the stand, spoke prep, etc. Also added a sensitive table top scale (to indulge my weight weenie tendencies 😆 ) and a set of calipers to measure stuff.

Could anyone suggest a air compressor for home use? I would only use it for resetting the bead on my tubeless tires. Can I get a inexpensive plug in compressor from wal mart or do I need to get one of the pancake compressors from sears? I hate having to run to the bike shop to use their compressor.

Thanks

I got the Campbell Hausfield one that is around $75 at walmart. It is totally fine for generic inflation needs on both car and bike tires.

"tarvisg" wrote

Could anyone suggest a air compressor for home use? I would only use it for resetting the bead on my tubeless tires. Can I get a inexpensive plug in compressor from wal mart or do I need to get one of the pancake compressors from sears? I hate having to run to the bike shop to use their compressor.

Thanks

Bigger compressors are for running multible tools at the same time or sustaining high pressure for extended times, any basic compressor can handle single hose applications- such as filling tires and reaching pressures you need. You will actualy find the smaller compressor easier to use in your situation. Home Depot or Lowes will have a large selection.

"dgaddis" wrote

Hey tarvisq, good question. First, check out this blog post I did a while back if you haven’t seen it yet.

As for which tools to get, assuming you get the stand and torque wrench (EXCELLENT start by the way) here’s what I’d get, listed in order of importance:

-T-handle allen wrech set
      -L shaped allen wrench set
      -Screwdrivers
      -needle nose pliars (I have both a straight and curved set)
      -Adjustable wrench
      -Wire cutters
      -chain tool
      -cassette lockring tool
      -chainwhip (I have the one w/the pedal wrench, works fine, the chain is a little bothersome when using the pedal wrench tho)
      -chainring bolt wrench
      -Bottom Bracket tool (whatever works for the BB you have now)
      -Cone wrenches (I rarely need these…but when you do need them, they’re the only thing that will do)

^^You can fit all of that stuff in a relatively small toolbox that wont take up a ton of space and is nice and portable. You could pretty much tear your bike apart and reassemble it with that stuff.

Then there’s other component specific tools, like brake bleed kits, hub tools, etc., and those very rarely used tools like headset installers and whatnot. Pick those up as you need them.

Great list, thank you for taking the time toput it together. What should a list like that cost?

Viewing 26 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.