Problems with stray dogs on MTB trails?

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

I read a blog this morning by a guy in Thailand who is afraid of the stray dogs where he likes to ride (link). Anyone run into this on the trail before? How do you/would you fend off a dog on the trail?

I’ve only had problems with dogs chasing me on the road and the best thing I’ve found (besides putting the pedal down and leaving them in the dust) is spraying them with a water bottle or yelling. A friend of mine actually crashed on the road once because of a loose dog and he attempted to get the dog’s owner to pay for his damaged bike (no luck as far as I know). Plus he got a bloody arm and leg out of the deal…

Never had problems with a stray dog, but I have seen anti-dog pepper spray at bike shops before. I encountered some rather aggressive dogs owned by homeless folk at a local trail in Gainesville but they were tied up, thankfully.

"RunandBike0519" wrote

Never had problems with a stray dog, but I have seen anti-dog pepper spray at bike shops before. I encountered some rather aggressive dogs owned by homeless folk at a local trail in Gainesville but they were tied up, thankfully.

better yet, buy some straight up bear spray… that would probably dominate them, if not permanently mess them up! or, like trek7k said… just put the hammer down.

I’ve never had problems on the trail but have had encounters on the road. The pepper spray is easier said then done and I typically put the hammer down also. I am aware of an incident here in Louisiana where a rider was attacked and bitten by a dog (road cyclist). He was able to get compensation for his damaged bike and injuries due to the dog being owned (not a stray) and the "leash laws" on the books….

I was in Ellijay recently driving down a dirt road when I gigantic german Shepard try to attack my vehicle. Luckily I was still like a mile from the trails because this dog wanted blood.

No lie when i was a strapping lad and was a raod racer, I was training on a country road for a road race the proceeding week with a friend of mine we were at a good clip passing a home with two dogs just laying on the porch when all of a sudden they took interest and started to dash at us…Well evidently all i had to do to avoid the dogs was to out run my friend…Basically errr he tolk care of the dogs….Well he got his water bottle and just before the dogs started to nip at his feet and legs he gave them a good nasal enima…Stopped them in their tracks.

now i’m a dog lover/owner but i know how to keep mine confined and undercontrol for those situations where other owners dont the solution is easy BANG!!!!! or a bike pump in his eye. as far as the post reguarding the dog causing a crash if that would be taken to small claims court or court of common pleas i cant see how the judge wouldnt side with the cyclist and make the owner pay for damages and such.

The most widely ridden trail in Memphis (Tour De Wolf) goes strait through a enormous dog park which of course doesn’t require leashes, fortunately I’ve never been attacked only a few small chases which usually leaves a pissed off owner especially when their dog is 1/4-mile away from them…Next time a dog attacks give them a swift kick to the head and FYI clip-in shoes work the best

I was at White Ranch in Golden several weeks ago just about ready to mount up my StumpJumper when this car pulls up in the parkin lot and this dude lets his dog out of the car without a leash and the first thing the dog does is come right over to me.I thought he was just being friendly but when the dog gets up to me he starts growling and showing teeth.He was an inch away from my leg and the hair on his back was standing straight up and the dog was getting worse.The owner finally got the dog to listen to him and come back to the car but I swear that dog was gonna latch on to me and get a taste of blood.I was pretty mad at the dude for letting his dog run around without a leash but I was so relieved the dog didnt bite me I just joked about how the dog didnt like my black blaclava mask I was wearing because it was cold out.
      I love dogs but I just cant see why people gotta let ther dogs run around without a leash,I mean there in the mountains with wild life,not to mention seeing dog crap on the trail isnt what Im getting outdoors to see on my favorite trail,I could look over the backyard fence and see dog crap if I want to.

Well, I hate to say it because I’m a dog lover/owner myself but I used to have a problem with dogs on the canal line trail leading to the BMX track I used to ride at as a kid. There was one dog in particular that I just couldn’t seem to get the redneck owner to put inside or tie up 😠 . After the dog finally bit one of my riding buddies, I tried pepper spray but even that didn’t work. Finally (and I hated to have to do this) I resorted to going to my local offshore fishing supply store and buying what is affectionately called a "shark bat" (A small baseball type bat used to club sharks) and the next time the dog came after me I jumped off my bike and whacked the living piss out of that dog. For some reason the dog just sat on the porch every time we rode by after that. I guess it learned it’s lesson. 😆

Ya know, I dont believe I have ever had a mean dog encounter on my bike (knock on some wood…). I carry bear spray on the bike in AK just in case.
      I have had stray dogs try to follow me home though, that wouldnt be a good thing as the bachelor type diet I live on would probably kill the average K9- 😮

Only nasty dog I’ve encountered, twice, I rode over his front paw the second time, he couldn’t stop as fast as my discs. In slowing he got ahead then I hit the pedals, never saw that dog again.
      Riding with my pointer at Fantasy Island, Tucson. She was ahead sniffing a puppy that was dumped. It was late in the day and coyotes are hungry and numerous, so are rattlesnakes. She was about 3 1/2 months. I coaxed her into following me and my dog. She’s about 14 months now and a great trail running MTB dog, Gypsy.

I’ll have to say: I find that dog owners do not tend to be the most considerate of people I’ve met on the trail or on the road. I don’t know if they are inconsiderate consciously, but I see more loose dogs on trails then I do dogs on leashes, even when it is clearly marked that all dogs must be on a leash. I’ve almost went over an embankment trying not to hit dogs, I’ve had to hold dogs that I do not own, back from attacking wildlife, and have had to kick a dog off my leg while the owner stood and "reprimanded" the animal. Unfortunately, I’ve not been impressed. Even nice folks need to be responsible.

[url:1o0frkr0]http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/may/12/rattle-snake-kills-dog-superior/?partner=yahoo_headlines[/url:1o0frkr0]

I dont hate dogs but this is what happened this past saturday here in Superior Colorado.The article doesnt say wether or not the dog was leashed,but I would have to guess that it wasnt since they did not mention it.????

I have had the same issue riding on dirt country roads between trails where the local home owners have dogs that chase anything that comes close to the house. Never hurt but I have used the flight rather than fight approach.

I have a dog myself and would never allow that to happen.

Best advice is to see the problem coming. My worst experience with animals on trails was a deer that almost took me out as it was running through the woods. Nothing like seeing the butt end of a 200 lbs deer only about 2 feet away from you.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.