presta vs schrader

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I am about to get a new Bike and in the pictures on the website it deos not show it the bike will have presta or shrader valves. I am wondering if it comes with shrader can i put presta in the wheels

Yes. You can go schrader to presta with no extra work, but to go presta to schrader you will have to drill the valve stem hole out to make it bigger.

What was the reason for the bike company’s to switch over to mostly presta?

As the bike rims continued getting narrower, it kept getting harder to fit a schrader valve. With some of the most narrow rims available now, you could severely compromise the strength of the rim with an opening that large.

"schwim" wrote

As the bike rims continued getting narrower, it kept getting harder to fit a schrader valve. With some of the most narrow rims available now, you could severely compromise the strength of the rim with an opening that large.

Thanks Shwim! Seems like a pretty simple idea. Smaller valve, smaller hole. Is that the only benefit that you know of?

I’ve read that the lack of a spring in the valve assembly allows lighter-weight pump mechanisms as well. With a shrader valve, you have to have to overcome the spring pressure of the valve to pump while with the presta, simply unscrewing the lock allows for the insertion of air. This would allow for a pump that’s much easier to design and assemble.

While maybe this was true in the early days of portable pumps, with today’s technology, I would think this point would be moot. I think now it just comes down to less material removed from the rim.

ive heard that presta valves are a lot more "tune-able" or precise if you will. meaning they will be able to let you dial in the exact amount of pressure you want better than a schrader and for people that have an exact pressure they like to ride this is a big deal to them and presta just makes it easier

"aewynn0915" wrote

ive heard that presta valves are a lot more "tune-able" or precise if you will. meaning they will be able to let you dial in the exact amount of pressure you want better than a schrader and for people that have an exact pressure they like to ride this is a big deal to them and presta just makes it easier

I would be interested in seeing a single source for this. Air pressure passes through an opening from higher side to lower side until it is balanced on both sides, regardless of valve type. Almost no air is lost when removing the chuck from a schrader stem since the spring loaded valve shuts down the flow of the air from the tube as soon as the chuck is pulled back, releasing the spring loaded valve.

"schwim" wrote

[quote="aewynn0915":fphdpxdm]ive heard that presta valves are a lot more "tune-able" or precise if you will. meaning they will be able to let you dial in the exact amount of pressure you want better than a schrader and for people that have an exact pressure they like to ride this is a big deal to them and presta just makes it easier

I would be interested in seeing a single source for this. Air pressure passes through an opening from higher side to lower side until it is balanced on both sides, regardless of valve type. Almost no air is lost when removing the chuck from a schrader stem since the spring loaded valve shuts down the flow of the air from the tube as soon as the chuck is pulled back, releasing the spring loaded valve.[/quote:fphdpxdm]

I think the presta is just more "convenient". If you want to lower the air pressure, you just unscrew and push down on the valve. For schrader, you have to stick something in the end. That’s the only real difference I can think of!

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.