Preparing my pilgrimage to the Mecca (trip to Moab) – Help!

Mountain bike trails & Mountain bike reviews Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Preparing my pilgrimage to the Mecca (trip to Moab) – Help!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

This upcoming April I am lucky to attend a conference in Salt Lake and as an beginner enduro wanabe rider (currently 2+ years of consistent XC) I’m really loosing my mind over doing some mtb in Moab. I already booked hotel and a car and I’ll be there on April 4th and 5th.

Unfortunately for me I’ve been e-mailing and calling all companies that sell tours over there and there are no bookings so far and I don’t want to pay a single tour fee.

Do you have any tips? Can I rent the bike and go by myself (don’t want to get lost), I’m looking on the following options tours, any advice is appreciated:

– Amasa Back/Pothole Arch/Captain Ahab
      – North Klondike
      – Porcupine Rim

Thanks!

Betogess,
      There are plenty of rides around Moab that have very little risk of getting you lost. With a basic map, you can find your way around quite easily.

If you’re looking to get into enduro, then Ahab/Amasa should be very much to your liking. Navigating the area isn’t very difficult either. That sounds like a must do for you.

If you’re really fit and don’t mind doing a lot of pavement to complete a loop, you can do Porcupine Rim as a loop, but most prefer to do it as a shuttle. Even with the shuttle, you get a good chunk of climbing at the beginning before the long downhill. Even if there are no full-fledged tours yet scheduled, there are almost always shuttles being run. Your shuttle company can also provide you with any trail info you need to safely navigate the route. Also, the Porc is very popular, so you’re never really alone.

The Klondike area has lots of trails in a potentially confusing network, but it’s hard to get hopelessly lost. Again, a basic map should see you through.

Poison Spider has a quality rental fleet and also operates shuttles. They’d be a good place to start.
      http://poisonspiderbicycles.com/bike-shuttles/

"John Fisch" wrote

Betogess,
      There are plenty of rides around Moab that have very little risk of getting you lost. With a basic map, you can find your way around quite easily.

If you’re looking to get into enduro, then Ahab/Amasa should be very much to your liking. Navigating the area isn’t very difficult either. That sounds like a must do for you.

If you’re really fit and don’t mind doing a lot of pavement to complete a loop, you can do Porcupine Rim as a loop, but most prefer to do it as a shuttle. Even with the shuttle, you get a good chunk of climbing at the beginning before the long downhill. Even if there are no full-fledged tours yet scheduled, there are almost always shuttles being run. Your shuttle company can also provide you with any trail info you need to safely navigate the route. Also, the Porc is very popular, so you’re never really alone.

The Klondike area has lots of trails in a potentially confusing network, but it’s hard to get hopelessly lost. Again, a basic map should see you through.

Poison Spider has a quality rental fleet and also operates shuttles. They’d be a good place to start.
      http://poisonspiderbicycles.com/bike-shuttles/

Thanks so much for your answer John and I’ll take your advice if I’m unavailable to find a group tour, it’s dumb but I don’t want to miss a curve full speed and fall into the canyon LOL!

How long does it take to do the Ahab/Amasa? Do trails have signs or other to stay en route?

Do you (or anyone else) have advice on clothing for that time of the year? Tours start usually at 8am and I live in a tropical country so shorts and t-shirt is all I got.

April in Moab is usually borderline shorts weather highs in the 60’s low in the 40’s. You could probably just tough it out and be a little cold at first but if you don’t like the cold you might need some pants. With all the sweating I honestly don’t think you will need pants as the 50s are my prime riding weather but I would bring some just in case. The same goes for a long sleeve shirt or a jacket.

Cavermatthew

"André Hess" wrote

How long does it take to do the Ahab/Amasa? Do trails have signs or other to stay en route?

Time required to do Ahab/Amasa is entirely up to you — there are lots of options there for various routes. If you’re time pressed or tired, you can knock out the basic climb and descent in a couple hours. If you want to explore the area including a trip out to pothole arch you can easily double that. Again, it’s best to chat with the guys in the shop where you rent your bike and they can give you some good hints as to what might be the best route based on your riding style and skill level.

We’ve had some good Ahab coverage since it opened. These articles may also help:
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … -and-more/
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … hab-trail/

"John Fisch" wrote

[quote="André Hess":11f25114]

Time required to do Ahab/Amasa is entirely up to you — there are lots of options there for various routes. If you’re time pressed or tired, you can knock out the basic climb and descent in a couple hours. If you want to explore the area including a trip out to pothole arch you can easily double that. Again, it’s best to chat with the guys in the shop where you rent your bike and they can give you some good hints as to what might be the best route based on your riding style and skill level.

We’ve had some good Ahab coverage since it opened. These articles may also help:
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … -and-more/
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr … hab-trail/[/quote:11f25114]

Thank you ! I’ll definitely check out with some of the shops there. My only concern really is getting lost, I don’t have experience with Maps.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.