Pre load on a 29er?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys just wondering if I could get some feed back on this. Picked up my rockhopper pro 29er today and noticed my Preload was using up I’d say about 40% of my fork. Now this did just come from a reputable bike shop and he did size me up when ordering the bike but I also heard on your 26 hardtail you want your preload set to use up about 25% of your travel when in a neutral position. Is this diff for 29ers? Should I trust where it’s at? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated considering I am new to the sport. Thanks!

When he sized you up, did he get your weight and are you sure they adjusted the fork for your weight?
      I’m no expert by far, but 40% seems like a bit too much sag. I’ve heard the 20-25% "rule" also, but I’m not sure if/why it would change for a 29er. You want some sag for a nice ride, but you don’t want to bottom out getting on the bike 😆

According to the Specialized site, your bike came with the RockShox Silver. I found the manual here and a general manual for RockShox forks here. Is that the fork that came with the bike?
      I didn’t see anything mentioning sag when I skimmed the manuals. The only thing I could find regarding preload was on the installation instructions. It said "Adjust as desired."

There might be a recommended sag, but I don’t know what it is. Judging by the manual, they didn’t want to put one in.

If nothing else, take it to the shop where you bought the bike. I’m sure they’d be happy to adjust it or answer any questions you might have.

I’m not sure if this post actually answered anything, so, um, good luck! 😃

Hey yea I prob will go back to the shop and get a final word I did have my 14 month old daughter with me so getting to stay and hear the whole Shabang on this bike was not in her plans. I do appreciate all the looking you did though. P.s. Those are the shocks on it. Thanks again

The correct sag is 20%. Doesn’t matter what wheel size. Doesn’t matter what the travel is. The sag is measured when you are sitting on the bike at rest. A zip tie around the fork or shock if you don’t have on of those fancy measureing dohicky. The air in the fork/shock sets the sag if it’s an air fork/shock. I always set the rebound and compression in the middle and go ride. You should not bottom the fork unless you take a super big hit and make sure it doen’t "top out" when coming off the ground. Have fun playing with it and just pedal, it’ll be better than your last ride. 😄 Later,

If it’s the Recon Silver, there is a chart on the side of the left leg that says essentially, "if you weigh this much, put in this much air"

yea that chart was there on the forks! Thanks I did also go to the Bike shop after a ride today and he added pressure and also adjusted the rebound so Im anxious to see how it rides tomorrow. Thanks Guys.

Now that you know how to tweak those two settings, you can play with them until it feels right.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.