popping noises

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I have intermittent "popping" noises coming from somewhere, can’t seem to pinpoint it. Usually happens when I’m in a low gear and not pedaling.

The rear casette and chain were changed out at 5,000 miles. I replaced the rear skewer when I found the one the bike shop put in was bent.

Loose or worn spokes have been brought up a couple of times.

I have a 2010 Stumpjumper Comp 29. About 70% of the mileage is on asphalt.

Any input would be appreciated.

Might be the rear hub. If you lift the bike off the ground and spin the rear wheel, do you hear the popping?

"jeff" wrote

Might be the rear hub. If you lift the bike off the ground and spin the rear wheel, do you hear the popping?

Tried that, but it won’t do it . It also wouldn’t do it when I took it to the shop and they rode it around trying to find the problem. I did 20 miles on it and heard nothing, then the next time I went out it did it every few minutes.

The chain and casette were changed out because of the popping noises, they were worn to their limits and (probably) needed to be replaced anyway. The rear wheel was loose, that’s when they removed the original skewer and replaced it with a used one. I replaced that with an XC skewer. The wheel is on tight.

Check/replace your bottom bracket. I’ve owned a couple of stumpy’s and have had the same problem on each one, even on my 2013. I’d bet money that’s your problem. other then that they are great bikes.

You said it is happening when you are coasting? Is it happening when you are pedaling too? Check the seat post seat clamp for dirt, my thompson needs periodic lube to keep it quiet. Also, check stem and handle bar clamp for the same. If it is happening when pedaling then maybe the BB needs to be cleaned and lubed and/or crank arms. Let me know if any of this helps. If not try to narrow down the location of the noise a bit, i.e. front, rear or high, low on the bike. Hope this helps! 😕

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.