Popped the Cherry

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Today I rode my first mountain bike trail (Guana River) and loved every minute of it. My friend and I wanted to see if this was something we could see our selves doing for a while before we invested money into bike. We used some old beater bike’s we had from growing up.

My first impressions of bike riding were positive ones. I enjoyed the scenery and trails. Mostly I enjoyed the exercise (very score).

The trail is rated for beginners but this trail was no easy task. Its been raining for the past couple weeks and the trails were wet, soft, and some parts were up to your ankles in water.

The bike I got stuck riding was a Hard Tail girl’s bike. The frame was way to small for me and with skinny 24 inch tires getting through the soft mud was not easy. After seeing some great scenery and snapping some good photos me and my friend decided this was something we could see our self’s doing for a while.

Were on the hunt to find good but not to pricey bikes that fit our needs. Cant wait to try on new trails and keep improving my skills and physical performance.

Welcome aboard!

You’re going to get tons of bike suggestions, so I’ll just say that I started out on a Specialized Rockhopper that can be had for under $500 at most local bike shops. I loved every minute of riding it and I still use it for commuting.

Also, get a helmettrust me on this one! 😎

I was just where you are now early in the season. Two things: MTN biking is addicting; and like anything addictive, it can get expensive.

Like an earlier poster suggested, I too bought an 09 Specialized Rockhopper. Got it for $580, $640 with NYC sales tax. It’s a great bike, and has endured 3-5 rides per week at three local trail networks. I am a former BMXer, so while I dig the XC and climbs, I’m in it for bombing down the hills I climb (and I climb them very, very slowly).

The bike is durable, and so I’ve read, the frame is the best thing about it. If you were to pick one up, replace the pedals immediately as the stock ones are dangerous. I’d additionally suggest what I had to do, by attrition, with any bike you purchase: take off the 3rd ring (rarely used when climbing and on technical stuff) and put in a bash guard. I bent my small and mid chainrings about a month in. I also put flat, fat Kona pedals on the whip as well.

With all that being said, as soon as the Iron Maiden (love of my life) slips up in some way shape or form, I’m going to start embezzling money from myself (to pay with cash so there’s no paper trail) to purchase a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR or Pitch Pro. I’ll then tell her I got a great deal on the bike on craigslist and divide the MSRP by 4 (all suggestion I’ve received from my local riding organization).

With that being said, great decision, and ride hard!

Cheers, Tusker

I won’t get into brand-specific love (though I do enjoy my cannondale) but rather just offer some shopping suggestions.

Avoid the department store stuff. They may look good, with fancy full squish suspensions and disc brakes, and the prices are attractive, but they are all paintjob and no substance, and are junk in my experience.

Also avoid the sporting good chain rides with fancy names, unless you are careful. We picked up some K2 sidewinders from Sports Authority as our 1st significant mountain bikes at about 800 bones each. Compared to our current bikes, (my Cdale was just slightly more expensive on closeout, the wife and sons trek actually much cheaper) they too, were junk.

Instead, spend some time at your local bike shops (LBS’s.) Pick one where the employee seems interested in you getting a good fit, rather than just selling you something at the best price and pushing you out the door. You’d be surprised how many mom&pop shops will spend many hours getting to know you and your needs, and will actually talk you down to a cheaper model if it fits your needs better.
      When you’re ready to buy, bring cash (as has been mentioned here in the forums before, I forget the original author of that brilliant suggestion, sorry) and see if they’ll cut you a cash discount AFTER you’ve negotiated the price.
      If you can (given the timing of this post, maybe not) wait until the current model years close out, or try to find some surplus prior years models often at a huge discount.
      If you find the ride that fits, but the coin isn’t here right now, check online at Ebay and Craigslist, and even at thrift shops like Salvation Army as the sometimes have a diamond in the rough and don’t even know it, and see if you can find something adequate (locally!) to get you by until you can afford the ride you really want. This may also give you enough time to decide if you truly want to invest in a good rig, or it’s just one of those phases you’ll regret. (For What it’s Worth, MTB is the one exercize fad I’ve done that I have NOT regretted 😛 ) Who knows, you may find a used model that is perfect, and save a huge amount of cash. Just be careful to look carefully for damage before buying a used ride, and see if the seller will allow you to take it to a LBS mechanice for more inspection.

Wolfs, I bought my bike for $40 bikes and the only thing I changed on it was the pedals. You dont need to spend a lot of money to enjoy yourself…I love my $40 beater and ride it all the time without problems.

Def did not plan on spending that much money on a bike. I still have to get that TV for my new house! 😼

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.