Please help me pick a cassette

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

I have a 2002 Giant Rainier. It has a Shimano Deore LX SGS rear derailleur. It originally came with a 9-speed 11-34 cassette, but I was riding a lot of flat pavement out in California so I had it fitted with a road cassette with a wider range (not what the exact range is).

Now I’ve moved to Eagle, CO and I want to start riding single track, so I would like to replace the cassette with something more suitable. I have a road bike now so the Rainier will be used for off-road almost exclusively.

We have some steep hills here, and since I’m just getting started mountain biking here I’m thinking I need all the gearing help I can get.

Should I go back to the original 11-34 cassette, or should I go with something else?

What brand/model cassette would give me the most bang for the buck? I don’t mind spending a little more to improve the shifting, but I don’t want to spend extra for something I won’t really be able to tell a noticable difference at my level.

Thanks for your advice!

Alan

AlanC, The cassette that came on your bike will work as before. To go to a larger cassette the number on the cassette will tell if you can go to a larger gear. Get the number on the cassette body and check with your LBS and they can tell you if a 12-36 will fit. Most of the time on an older bikr you also have to change the derailleur too because they match ’em to the cassette and the biggest used back in 2002 was a 34. The larger 36 cassettes come on the new 29ers and full suspension bikes to off set the weight. To answer your question go back with a 34 and you’ll be fine. 😄 Later,

+1 for the 11-34

And to answer the second part of our inquiry — you’ll find lots of SRAM and Shimano mid-range 9-speed cassettes available for anywhere from $30 to $50 bucks.

Going to 10-speed will cost a whole lot more because, as I’m finding, you have to change a whole bunch of stuff (cassette, shift-trigger, rear der, chain, front der, chainwheels, and probably your underwear when you see the total bill).

The 9 speed will be the bomb for your present bike. When you get your next bike it’ll probably be a 10 speed. Go 34t and keep it simple and less $$$$. 😄 Later,

Depending on your rear derailleur it may not be able to work with anything more than 34t…So as the other guys have said…Stick with the 11-34…. A good one to go with (balance of price, weight, and durability) would be the PG-980 from Sram…

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.