Platform pedals vs clip in pedals

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,
      I’m new to this site and have a question about pedals. So I have been out riding 4 times now and love it. When I am cruising down a fast slope I sometimes have to use my legs to squeeze the seat to help me stay on the bike otherwise my feet feel like they will fly off of the pedals(which happened yesterday and is why I am writing!). I don’t know anything about the clip in type pedals, but the thought of being clipped in is a bit scary as I am sure it is to everybody the first time they use them. At the same time I don’t like the idea of sliding off of platform pedals while flying down a hill! But with platform pedals you can always throw a foot down to assist with a potential crash, etc.
      So my question is; Do the positives outweigh the negatives as far as clip ins? What do I need to know before I buy…if I decide to buy?
      Thanks…

Hey there, good to see you around man,

as for the positives outweighing the negatives, I think that they do. So much in fact that the positives hit the ground on a scale, so it’s hard to tell you how many positives there are! Anyways here are a couple threads talking about such things

[url:ii1u2ump]http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2385[/url:ii1u2ump]
      [url:ii1u2ump]http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2862[/url:ii1u2ump]

it is without a doubt that you will crash when learning how to use them. It’s almost like trying to learn how to bike again, however this process is much faster!

Thanks for the info.
      I currently have the plain platform pedals that came with the bike and I usually wear an old pair of nike running shoes when I ride. I have heard alot about the pin type platform pedals, but from the reviews I have read they are heavy with no sealed bearings and pricey$$$! Is there any other kind of platform pedals to choose from as well as different shoes I could wear that would help? I think I overheard someone say 5.10 makes some shoes for this purpose, but I can’t find them.
      Thanks again.

Thanks chilipepper. Good to see a large selection of pedals. So exactly what kind of platform pedals do you recommend that are sealed, light and don’t cost a fortune?

the same scary thought has crossed my mind re: clips – can i get my foot free to catch me during a fall?!

Here’s what I am doing now. I had a pair of softball cleats laying around and now i wear them to ride. keeps the shoelaces from wrapping around the pedal and the cleats help keep your foot on the pedal. Your foot stays free in case of a crash too. Just a cheap option for me because I had already bot everything!

Huge help! thanks again.

When my friends first got me riding I thought there was no way I’d ever want clip in pedals. As I rode more, I got tired of my feet popping off the pedals all the time and eventually gave in and bought some SPD shoes and my friend gave me some old SPD pedals. I love them and would never ride without them again.

In mud, the shoes have cleats on the bottom so you don’t slip and fall if you need to put a foot down. Yes, I have fallen over trying to make climbs where I stalled at the top… but its so low speed I just laughed at it.

Your power pedaling is much more effectively used while clipping in to your pedals and I actually crashed more before I had them due to my feet popping off of the pedals or slipping (trails around here are very rooty)

If you are worried about clipping out, get SPD pedals. You can adjust them so its very easy to clip out in a panic and later you can upgrade or tighten them down as you feel more comfortable.

Getting over the fear of being locked in to the bike takes a couple of weeks for most. Some just cant get used to it and quit after a fall or two. The added pedal efficiency and power you get will more than make up for the learning curve if you stay on them. Also the type of riding you do makes a difference. Riding more XC type trails are better for clipless than "big hit" freeride type trails where you really dont need to pedal much anyway.

I use Time ATAC pedals and they are the best I have used as far as ease of clipping/un-clipping.

You cant disagree that pulling and pushing at the same time increases power and effciency. 😆 On rides when you are constanly spinning or spinning a good % of the time, clipless is better.

JDH

I plan on learning clipless before next season to avoid tearing the hell out of my shins and dumb injuries like this………

It’s not fun having a round peg a 1/4 deep in your knee lol

JDH

Thanks! I think I’m going to go with Shimano PD-M324 clipless/platform pedals, that way I can clip in up the tons of uphills we have around here and ride platforms on most everything else. Shin guards are defiantly in the short term future for me though!

You may want to consider the 424 instead..They have a slightly larger platform to them.

JDH

I talked to a guy I know at the lbs, he is going to let me try a couple different pedals and shoe combos to see which ones I feel more comfortable riding, but I will definitely try the 424’s. Thanks!

The 424’s are bigger, but the platform is plastic. The 324’s are all metal.

When I used to run the 324’s, I found they worked extremely well with Cannondale Roam shoes.

The metal platforms were terrible with "real" cycling shoes so I retired the pedals and now I wear the Cannondale shoes when I bike commute to work.

Chilippeper, one of my riding buddies still amazes me with his pinned flats. Not enough to make me switch, but still impressive.

My 8 year old rides clipless… The sooner you start, the sooner you overcome the "Fear" factor…

My 8yo wants clipless but I haven’t converted her yet.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.