planning a week of trail riding

Tagged: 

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • Author

I started thinking the other day about my christmas break, and how i normally sit for about a week and a half and dont do anything. So i started to think about maybe planning a road trip to go to different trails that are relatively close to each other and make a week of it with my friend. So that made me start to think even more if people have ever planned a line like that were they would travel from trail to trail and do them and maybe camp at that trail for a night and travel to the next trail and do it. So if youve ever done this or thought about it could you tell me the experience you had?

i’ve done it before… had a week to travel from colorado to montana. hit a few of the best trails on the way (not nearly enough of them, though) and slept in the back of my car.

it was, seriously, one of the best experiences of my entire life! just driving, biking, and chilling. i was traveling solo though, and it would have been more fun to have some company.

but seriously, i highly recommend it!

Sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I have no advice or experience to offer, but I look forward to hearing about your adventure.

hey seth. me and about eight other guys did that about four months ago. except instead of a week we made it 5 days worth (lack of trails in the surrounding area). it was great. we made our way through four different towns, and was able to hit about six trails – eight if you count the the smaller spur offs. we went to some cool places to eat at (i set the record for one place for eating a THREE POUND hamburger):shock: , drank a ton beer, had some weird bike moments (such as..well best left unsaid). A few of the trails were ones that we had never done so some new things trail wise. All in all it was great. We did have some hang-ups though. We got in trouble with some park rangers in one place on a couple different trails. We supposedly were not supposed to be there, but after they left we went anyway, we didn’t drive two hours for nothing. Nothing bad happened, so we didn’t understand. 😕 😏

If you are planning on being at a different location (Town, place to camp) each time you do a different trail, you might want to use a vehicle you could sleep in comfortably or a use a small tent that is easy to set up and does not take to much ground space. i know that some state/national parks do not allow camping over night except in designated camp grounds. might wanna check into that before you set off if you are going to any parks like that.

Haha, sounds like you had a good time spaz! 😀 That sounds exactly like what im wanting to do ive been lookin for trails around the area that i live in that i could hit up along the way, and i hope i can have a experience of eating a three pound hamburger myself while im doin it haha.

And goo i know what you mean about having company i always try to get someone to go with me when i ride cause it seems to bring out my more competitive side, and its nice when you done and you can cool down an talk.

There was just an article to that effect in the June issue of Bike magazine where the author spent 10 days and $500 riding in AZ and sleeping in his car.
      The article was "A Dirt Cheap Southwest Adventure" I just checked and they don’t have it on their website, so you’ll have to snag a paper copy. It was a good read with some good ideas and tips.

But anyway, sounds like a great way to spend your school break…good luck!

Do you have any ideas on where you want to go? If you posted your trail agenda you might get a local to show you the trail from this site.

Well that was sort of my plan i printed out a map of missouri, and im marking the locations of every trail there is in missouri on it so i can just follow the highways and get relatively close to the location and maybe get directions from there. Thanks for the advise tho i think ill finish filling out my map first and then post the trails that i decide to go on and see if i can get better directions from here.

"Seth_Gebel" wrote

Well that was sort of my plan i printed out a map of missouri, and im marking the locations of every trail there is in missouri on it so i can just follow the highways and get relatively close to the location and maybe get directions from there. Thanks for the advise tho i think ill finish filling out my map first and then post the trails that i decide to go on and see if i can get better directions from here.

Seth -sounds like a great adventure. Are you going to the Ozarks along the way? Seems like I have heard a bit about Womble (I think thats the name). I think thats in Arkansas though. Anyways, have fun. You may want to be aware of hunting seasons that are at that time of the year.

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/

check this out for deer seasons 😃

but there also quail, turkey, and other specifc hunting seasons you would want to check on. we were riding a trail in a national forest once and it was during hunting season. yeah we almost got shot in my opinion. a hunter dropped a deer that was less than 20 yards away from us. you wanna talk about pissin your pants…well that will certainly do it, we dropped our bikes and hit ground in an instant. i mean just basically fell off while we were rolling along. so somethitng to look into for sure for that time of year.

Oh yea i kinda forgot about hunting season. Thanks for the post and the link about hunting. i checked out the link and it says that Muzzleloader season is during the time im goin so i may have to wear some orange. Also i am going near lake of the ozarks, there seems to be a few trails there i want to hit up, but ive never heard of the Womble trail?

This is my hunting season jersey: 😆 My wife actually toned it down quite a bit in Photoshop.

down here here in alabama, hunters are ready are ready to shoot at anything that moves, so we don’t ride anywhere that allows hunting. tuskegee national forest has alot of hunting accidents each year. and it is littered with hunters then. deer fever is a bad thing to have. you start to see things that ain’t so.

Ok that works i was thinking of sticking a orange hunting vest on me but Ya that be somethin that id probably wear but since its gonna be winter when i go ill be wearing a long sleeve one. 😆

"spazjensen" wrote

down here here in alabama,

’nuff said…

😆

Just kidding…

yeah yeah yeah

but a country boy can survive gotdangit

YEEE-HAAWW MOTHER TRUCKER

I’m from Township #8 in rural Maine…survival means knowing enough to move away from there… 😆

HA…your a rural yankee. sorry but i get into it. do i have a rebel flag…yeah i do. do i have red mud on my truck… oh yeah, do say things like "ya’ll, ain’t, widchadidcha as in you didn’t bring a tube widchadidcha, and mayonnaise as in mayonnaise alot of people on dis trail" stuff like that… yep. and its all with a southern fried accent. i live on the banks of the chattahoochee river, i fish, i hunt, i like muddin in my truck when i fish and hunt, and i ride my bike. there are some pretty good fixes you can do if you keep a roll of duct tape in your bag of trail tools.

kay i’m late for meeting with folks to go ride… i’m gone. hope your trip plan goes well there hoss

Dude, the war of northern aggression was over a while ago. 😃

"spazjensen" wrote

down here here in alabama, hunters are ready are ready to shoot at anything that moves, so we don’t ride anywhere that allows hunting. tuskegee national forest has alot of hunting accidents each year. and it is littered with hunters then. deer fever is a bad thing to have. you start to see things that ain’t so.

Hey man I hear what you are saying, except I’m also on the Northern part, and we know it’s not recommended riding on certain trails during hunting seasons. We up here in Vermont, have all sort of red necks, in fact most people I talk to online think Vermont is part of Canada, hahaha.

asfyxiate,
      It’s the same in Maine…"Hey, what’s that sound…BANG!"

Ya my dad owns about 8 acres of land on top of a hill that we go hunting at normally and theres a horse trail goin up the hill back in the woods that i ride my bike on, but there is no way i would ride it during any type of hunting season cause i know those hunters wouldnt hesitate to shoot me down.

"That deer’s done lurnt to ride a bike! Shoot it…QUICK!"

**Full disclosure, I am also a hunter…

That sounds like something I’ve been dreaming about doing. I want to spend a week between N. Carolina & Tennessee. My real dream is to spend a week tooling around Colorado.

A week is good for a portion of Colorado… 😃

Haha yea im a hunter to but its fun to talk a little trash 😆 . ya colorado is like my dream to go there and ride or canada. ether or is good with me.

Yeah, let me go ahead and step out my front door and go for a ride 😆

</gloating>

haha, what a jerk… just kidding. i know a buddy who just moved up there that works at a ski resort. You both are lucky bastards!

You both are lucky bastards

Dont forget about me dude,hahhahahaah,Colorado Native,born in the springs.You guys should’ev seen the mountains last night from a distance around evening time,swear to god it was 3D and as purple mountain majesty as it ever gets here.
      Did you notice em last night Slacker???

"maddslacker" wrote

Dude, the war of northern aggression was over a while ago. 😃

da south is a gonna rize agaaaiiin son.

haha just kidding, but in all seriousness, people down here do make of all of ya’ll up there, even if you are from boondock new engalnd. just like most people up there talk about us down here in tha south.

it ain’t that we all are precivil war thinkin. we who are proud of where we come from is just proud of the history and heritage. i gotta great x6 grandfather from my grandmother that was a colonel in the confederate army. he died in 1902 i think.

but hey i envy those in the BC and Northwest regions. they got all sorts of trails that i would love to ride any day any time any conditions.

"steve32300" wrote

You guys should’ev seen the mountains last night from a distance around evening time,swear to god it was 3D and as purple mountain majesty as it ever gets here.
      Did you notice em last night Slacker???

Yes, they were brown and green and crunching under my tires 😃

"Seth_Gebel" wrote

Oh yea i kinda forgot about hunting season. Thanks for the post and the link about hunting. i checked out the link and it says that Muzzleloader season is during the time im goin so i may have to wear some orange. Also i am going near lake of the ozarks, there seems to be a few trails there i want to hit up, but ive never heard of the Womble trail?

I’m not sure if this is close enough for your winter trip, but the area looks pretty cool and might be a good weekend trip in itself. Passion Post by Cooldaddy has some really good pics of a Womble ride. When I grow up I want to be able to take pictures like that.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t … ght=womble

Yea that hunting season thing. I live in a community that was built in the 50’s as hunting and fishing camps. Behind my house is the Jefferson National Forest. It’s pretty much a warzone there during rifle season. HeeHeeHee I don’t need to give my neighbors another reason to want to shoot me by screaming by their deer or turkey stand on a mountain bike. Sunday riding only in the national forest for me during the main hunting seasons. Used to hunt a bit myself, so I understand their passion don’t mind letting them get their hunt on. Not one to turn down a plate of tenderloin either.

I grew up in a small New England town with a lot of hunters/trappers. Never had a problem hiking/biking during hunting season. I just show them the same respect that I want them to give me. I were "blazed" orange and will stay off the trail in the early morning/early evening. these seem to be the times when hunters are out.

If I come across any hunters in the lot, i will ask them where they plan to go and will try to avoid the area.

Been on the trail in MA, NH, VT, GA and SC during hunting season and never had a problem. Just ride smart.

You guys are making me really miss CO! Lived in the springs for 5 years, some of the best times of my life. The views are incredible; amazing how I took it for granted after a while because I hated where I worked. No matter what the season there was always something to do. And dangit, I miss Jack Quinns! Gotta get back there…

I’m planning something similar here for October. 5 days out, camping, biking, whatever. I’ll probably bounce around here within a 4 hour radius, should be a blast!

Ya im pretty ready for it, im planning on taking about 2 or 3 people, im just worried about being sor the next day and not being able to ride.

just push through it man. you may need to take a rest day round about day 3 or 4

"Seth_Gebel" wrote

Ya im pretty ready for it, im planning on taking about 2 or 3 people, im just worried about being sor the next day and not being able to ride.

Ahh you will probably be okay. But like Goo said you will want to take a "break day". Try to plan to be somewhere that offers somthing to do whether it be something you pay to do or somthing that you can do without spending money (best option if possible) When that day is. It also wouldn’t hurt to use that day as a day to work on the bikes. Tune em, replace parts if need be, get parts from the bike shop if you need to and can get to one. Make that a day to eat alot to. You still have two or three days of riding left to do. You and your buddies will need to have some calories and carbs packed away for the remaining trip because you would have burned all of the one you had before you headed out. One thing to remember is lots a bacon. Thick juicy fattening bacon, and some good bike shorts/bike short liners. The shorts will make all the difference in the world when riding that much. 😃

but hey i envy those in the BC and Northwest regions. they got all sorts of trails that i would love to ride any day any time any conditions.[/quote]

It seams like the only people from the southern states that know’s where BC is, are riders. ( bikers / skiers / snowboarders)

And if I had a free week to go anywhere to ride it would be Moab Utah.

that’s becuase you haven’t been there let alone live there. You live at the world’s premier bike park (so say your location). You are spoiled. Moab isn’t a bike park. Though it is a location with some of the best single track coupled with some of the most unique natural features for bikes.

Oh I’m well aware that Moab is not a lift access bike park. I’ve had a few friends visit Moab, and there stories and pic’s have me very eager to go there myself. But I save my trips away from the fam, for the winter months. Summer time is my time to stock up on good father and husband points. 😆

gotcha.

one of the many reasons i will not/refuse to get married. i am afraid of loosing any bit of my ride time. there are plenty more reasons though

No need to lecture me on finding somone or any other blah to try to change my mind.

Ha ha !! That’s what I was saying 7 years ago. No, not me, never.

Damb Mexican’s !!

( my wife is mexican, not trying to start anything here )

"garbanzo" wrote

Ha ha !! That’s what I was saying 7 years ago. No, not me, never.

Damb Mexican’s !!

( my wife is mexican, not trying to start anything here )

haha you got weak.

Hey , what can I say, I’m a sucker for real tacos 😆

"garbanzo" wrote

Hey , what can I say, I’m a sucker for real tacos 😆

mmmm….tacos…….oooohhhh……tatas.

haha 😆 😆

moab would be pretty awesome to. I just like the idea of having gobs of riding types and trails all at your disposale. I mean around here in most places you have to drive to a trail, A TRAIL, and ride it. And sometimes all the driving can talk up alot of the riding and when the trail is not becomes "not worth the effort of driviing" or seems not rewarding enough for all your pedlling it kinda wears on ya. That’s the case here where i’m at. That’s why we (the guys i ride with) started to park at a certain point along the trail where it just starts to get good, fun, and fast. Then we park a truck at the end of it and shuttle back to where we parked and do it again. It makes the riding more enjoyable and much more rewarding.

Ya, the driving an hour each way will definitly kill your desire to ride. The main reason I stoped dirt biking ( 10 years ago when I still lived in Vancouver ) is because we could no longer ride from the house. We had to load up and drive somewhere. A hard thing to do when you owned a van. everything is getting developed. All of the close riding spots were disapearing.

Hey, atleast you are able to drive to the money spot of your trails. Alot of people don’t have that option.

Oh trust me, I know how good we have it here. And not just in Whistler, the hole Province has epic riding.

Now if only my bike would hold up for more than a couple of hours so that I can ride till i’m too tiered to ride, rather than riding til something breaks. Oh well. I don’t think i’m going to get any simpathy here 😆 😆

"spazjensen" wrote

[quote="garbanzo":3t3v1rkq]Hey , what can I say, I’m a sucker for real tacos 😆

mmmm….tacos…….oooohhhh……tatas.

haha 😆 😆

moab would be pretty awesome to. I just like the idea of having gobs of riding types and trails all at your disposale. I mean around here in most places you have to drive to a trail, A TRAIL, and ride it. And sometimes all the driving can talk up alot of the riding and when the trail is not becomes "not worth the effort of driviing" or seems not rewarding enough for all your pedlling it kinda wears on ya. That’s the case here where i’m at. That’s why we (the guys i ride with) started to park at a certain point along the trail where it just starts to get good, fun, and fast. Then we park a truck at the end of it and shuttle back to where we parked and do it again. It makes the riding more enjoyable and much more rewarding.[/quote:3t3v1rkq]

dude i CAN’T WAIT TO GET MARRIED!!!

hopefully soon… very soon… (working on wedding plans right now)

Viewing 48 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.