Pivot Switchblade vs Trail 429 Enduro

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Need some direction here.  On fence with these two bikes.   Demod the Blade for few days.  Nice ride.  Little on heavy side when climbing tech single track/switchbacks in new england.  Incred on downhills.  New 2021 Trail 429 Enduro, no idea.  Specs are close.  The new 429 almost seems like a “Blade Light” based on everything written so far.  Would like to go one way or another here to wait in line.  On one hand I like a heavier, studier bike especially with the DW Link suspension working for me.  Only concern is the weight.  I believe the 429 Enduro build checks in almost a lb or so lighter so not a major game changer.   I saw the bike at my lbs and its basically a skinny down blade.  My only concern is if I went 429 would I regret not having the extra cush and hover biker underneath me especially when things get dicey.  Not sure if anyone here has ridden both.  Thanks

Ultimately, there are only two types of Trailbikes. Both of which would have similar geometry— ~76* STA, ~66-65* HTA. Get a slacker bike and you’re into Enduro territory. Get a steeper bike and you’re into XC territory.

The first would be the Downcountry bike with 100-120r/120-130f travel and weigh less than 27 lbs. The Transition Spur is probably the best example. This type of bike is best for less rocky trails and for traveling long distances. I think this is the type of bike most Trail riders would have the most fun on.

The second would be the All-mountain bike with 140-150r/160f travel and weigh more than 30 lbs. The Ibis Ripmo is probably the best example. This type of bike is best for those who ride long rough descents and is for riders who live to hammer the downhill but still want Trailbike manners.

Getting anything in between doesn’t make sense. Why would you ride a short travel bike that is heavy. If you’re going the ride a heavy bike, you might as well get more travel. So what kind of rider are you? Do you want to go light, fast, and far? Or, do you want to maximize your capability on the rough and steep. The 429 Enduro is a bad compromise—not light but also not much travel. I would also consider bikes like the Stumpjumper, Fuel EX, Optic, etc. bad compromises. Unless you buy the $10,000 build, they are not light nor do they have much travel. Either get some travel and accept the weight that comes with it or go light-weight and accept the shorter travel.

Check out “MTB yumyum” on Youtube which reviewed the 429 and Switchblade.

Saw yum yums vid early.  He’s good.  I think your points are valid. Leaning Blade.  I saw both bikes side by side and weighed both at my lbs.  429 enduro came in around 28 lbs.  The Blade they had was teetering around 30-31 lbs but it was build up a little heavy.  1-2 lbs is what it is but I’m not a weight weenie looking for a xc rig or I’d lean towards an Epic or something skinny.  The new 429 is literally a “Blade Light”.  It looks like a skinny down Switchblade.  The tubes are slightly thinner.  They shaved some weight here and there.  The  429 Enduro overlaps the Blade in many aspects.  Like u mentioned on one hand I see why some would lean 429 enduro but on another I agree in saying what’s the point just go all out Blade.  It’s like comparing a little beefier Ripley to a Ripmo.  What’s the point.  I tested both at my lbs yesterday they both very nice. For me personally I’m going to build my Blade up as light as possible top to bottom.  My lbs has a little trail loop they built in back which has a little of everything.  They both performed well.  I did notice feeling more hits on the 429 hence the lighter thinner frame.  It wasn’t a hover bike feel like the Blade.  I swear the geo on both felt identical it was weird actually.
      As far as my riding it’s literally kitchen sink.  Typical after work week rides on my local are fast flowy good 2 hour lap. Nothing crazy just good cardio and climbs.  Weekend I hook up with friends and we usually are in some pretty technical rock gardens Mach chicken downhills w asteroids thrown at us.  It’s all over the map.
      Reason I’m doing this is to get a more stable ride w more travel and tired of getting beat up.  These two bikes w DW Link pedal so efficiently it’s a tough call.  I’m agree w your comment on going w more travel at these weight points and for me personally having just a little heavier, thicker tubed bike will handle a little more

I think that a very lightly built Switchblade with a lightweight wheelset with i27-28mm rims like Industry 9 makes and some lighter faster-rolling ~900-950gm tires like the 29×2.4 Maxxis Dissectors would be really fun and responsive.

Doing just that.  Enve wheels, i9 hubs, narrowing down tire selection as we speak.  Agree.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.