Picture Friday! 4/27/12

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Picture Friday! 4/27/12

--
SHARES

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Dustin Gaddis 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Post up your pics from the last week.

Shiny new drivetrain on the SS. New chainring, cog, chain, and even rebuilt the pedals. It should be good-to-go for a loooooong time now.

I just got my first ever pair of bibs, courtesy of Twin Six (look for a review on the blog in a few weeks). They’re pretty hot. I made my wife take this pic so I could send it to some non-riding friends of mine, who all had a good laugh.

Lookin’ good in the bib shorts! Just do us all a favor and wear some baggies over ’em when you hit the trail. 😀

I’ll wear a jersey, but not extra shorts. Too hot for that kind of craziness.

"dgaddis" wrote

I’ll wear a jersey, but not extra shorts. Too hot for that kind of craziness.

Can I post the bibs picture to the Singletracks FB please? 😄

Rode Blankets Creek yesterday:

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I’ll probably regret this, but yeah…go ahead.

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":2ro285ky]

I’ll probably regret this, but yeah…go ahead.[/quote:2ro285ky]

SWEET! I just posted a pic, so I’ll probably post this in about an hour…

Got a new bivy sack for some bikepacking. Weighs less than 24 ounces, has gore-tex, and is easy to set up. Also, the cat likes it too! 😆

"dozzerboy" wrote

Got a new bivy sack for some bikepacking. Weighs less than 24 ounces, has gore-tex, and is easy to set up. Also, the cat likes it too! 😆

I am trying to get set up for some bikepacking. I have a small tent as part of my gear right now, but am researching hammocks, bivy sacks, etc. What brand/model is that? Have you used one before?

My newest toy. Finished the build about 2 weeks ago and I have been having too much fun riding it to take a real picture until now.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

My newest toy. Finished the build about 2 weeks ago and I have been having too much fun riding it to take a real picture until now.

That thing looks great goose! So when do we get a proper spec list and review/thoughts so far?

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="dozzerboy":1ncdeqfx]Got a new bivy sack for some bikepacking. Weighs less than 24 ounces, has gore-tex, and is easy to set up. Also, the cat likes it too! 😆

I am trying to get set up for some bikepacking. I have a small tent as part of my gear right now, but am researching hammocks, bivy sacks, etc. What brand/model is that? Have you used one before?[/quote:1ncdeqfx]
    It is an outdoor research alpine bivy. I haven’t used it yet but can answer any question you have about the weight, folded size, & features. Also, it is a high quality build. If you have any questions about hammocks, GoldenGoose uses a hammock.

"dgaddis" wrote

That thing looks great goose! So when do we get a proper spec list and review/thoughts so far?

Specs and setup list…

The frame is the steel On One Inbred 29er swap-out frame.
    Wheels are a set of tubeless Stans Crest Rims laced to DT Swiss Revolution spokes, Hope Pro 2 hubs, with Specialized Fast Track Control tires. Built by yours truly.
    Manitou Tower Pro fork.
    Drive train is SRAM X7 shifters and RD, Shimano Deore FD, Shimano XT cassette, with RaceFace Ride XC cranks.
    Cockpit is a Ritchey WCS 4 axis stem, Ritchey .5" rise WCS carbon bars, WTB Tech trail lock ons, and Hayes Stroker Trail brakes.
    Cheapo Forte seatpost with a WTB Devo saddle to keep the taint happy.
    Just under 26lbs total weight with pedals.

Thoughts so far…

I’ve put about 100 miles on the bike in the past 2.5 weeks and it seems to be everything I was looking for.

I picked this frame because it was steel (supposedly more forgiving than aluminum), the rear swap out design allows me to easily switch to a SS setup if I ever decided to give it a try, it comes ready for a dropper seatpost, and the rear seat stays have mounts for a rear rack if I ever decided to use one. Its hard to say whether or not it truly is more compliant than aluminum since you’d really have to ride two exact bikes right after each other. But, I can say that it certainly feels more forgiving than my current aluminum frame. My first legit mtb was a steel Trek 820 from 1990 and this frame has a lot of that same feel to it. The easiest way to describe it is less vibration. I had to buy this one without first getting to ride one but I had spoken with many people who owned similar bikes by On One and I also rode another hardtail with extremely close geometry so I knew I’d like the way it rode on the trails.

My only minor complaints about the frame are the odd (to me) routing design for cables (under the BB for both RD and FD) and the lack of front derailleur clearance to the rear tire.

I’ve heard FD clearance can be an issue with 29ers and ran into it on this build. I originally wanted to put an SRAM X7 FD on it to match the RD and shifters but the design of the cable pully on that unit rubbed against my rear tire. The Shimano Deore fits with about 1/4" gap. I could easily fit larger tires in the rear seat stays and chainstays but the seatube proximity to the tire seems to be the limiting factor on this frame. Also, the seat tube is a skinny 27.?mm size that requires a manual shim if you are putting SRAM products on it. If I ran a 1×9 setup or SS setup it would be a non-issue.

The fork is great. Its the second Manitou fork I have owned (also have a 145mm Manitou Nixon on my AM bike) and they both function great with no fuss or frequent maintenance needed. I’m very happy with it. Not much more to say without sounding like a mouthpiece for the company.

Wheels have been awesome as well. Fourth set of wheels I have built with Crest Rims and I am a super fan. They have a weight limit of 185 lbs but are WAY stronger than that. I have a 220lb friend who can attest. Laced and tensioned correctly, I have taken the 26" version off repetitive 3 foot drops with no issues. Certainly not what they are intended for but it just goes to show you that, for XC rims, they are a lot stronger than you might think at first glance.

Gotta say I’m pretty happy so far.

Excellent. The clearance between the tire and FD on my Scandal is slim too. What size frame is yours? We need to swap sometime and compare…they’re the same geometry, just different frame materials I believe. I like the way my Scandal rides, but my steel bike is better, but the geometry is different, so it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

I want to try the Crest rims. Depending on who you talk to their either the the bomb or they’re flexy as a noodle. Don’t forget they’re stronger in 26" format than 29" format, when all else is the same (# of spokes, rim shape, etc) the smaller wheels are always stronger.

This is a 19.5". Next time I am in down your way I will give you a ring so you can meet up and we can swap. I’m definitely interested to see what the aluminum version feels like as well. This steel frame is 6.18 lbs. Do you know what your scandal comes in at?

"GoldenGoose" wrote

This is a 19.5". Next time I am in down your way I will give you a ring so you can meet up and we can swap. I’m definitely interested to see what the aluminum version feels like as well. This steel frame is 6.18 lbs. Do you know what your scandal comes in at?

Perfect, mine is the same size. I believe my frame weighed in at 3.7lbs. The complete bike is right at 25 flat, including pedals and bottle cages.