Pics from Price Mountain

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Some late season pics from the Price Mountain trail system

A few trail pics from Sulphur Ridge, recently re-opened.

Price Mountain ride

No pain no gain, my riding and trail work bud Kapusta enjoying the hike-a-bike portion of Price Mountain trail
      Close to the top
      Some skinny ridge

A few nice views, not many spots are open enough
      Dubbed the “Luge” section of Price Mountain Trail, as much fun as you can have on 2 wheels.

Kelly Trail

We have a request in with the Forest Service for some new signs
      As a climb, two sections of Kelly Trail are tough hike-a-bike. The rest is ride-able. As a downhill, its all fun. 😀

Great stuff!!! I would get so lost on your trails.

That picture of the Luge is interesting. All green on one side and leaf coverage on the other. Is that something to do with sun exposure?

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for me to report the sign damage/missing signs I observed on Salt Pond & Brushy Ridge to the Forest Service.

"Funrover" wrote

Great stuff!!! I would get so lost on your trails.

If you ever get into this part of the country sometime come and ride with me. I won’t let you get lost 😀
      Riding in the leaves on the other hand might be a challenge for you 😆

"fleetwood" wrote

That picture of the Luge is interesting. All green on one side and leaf coverage on the other. Is that something to do with sun exposure?

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for me to report the sign damage/missing signs I observed on Salt Pond & Brushy Ridge to the Forest Service.

I think that was just the way the late afternoon sun was laying on the luge section.

I think the Forest Service must be doing something with their signs around Douthat. Middle Mountain trail sign was down too. Can you imagine how much energy it takes to pull up a sign post tamped in the ground?
      That would be too much work for most delinquents.

Awesome photos!! Looks like another great ride I have to come back to Virginia for 😃

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":2fxpbvbt]That picture of the Luge is interesting. All green on one side and leaf coverage on the other. Is that something to do with sun exposure?

I think that was just the way the late afternoon sun was laying on the luge section.

I think the Forest Service must be doing something with their signs around Douthat. Middle Mountain trail sign was down too. Can you imagine how much energy it takes to pull up a sign post tamped in the ground?
      That would be too much work for most delinquents.[/quote:2fxpbvbt]

I guess it was the picture above the picture of the Luge that I was talking about.

Good point about the signs, but it seems odd that the Forest Service would pull them and throw them aside without new signs ready to be installed in their place. Oh well, who am I to judge? We did prop one of them up for whatever that is worth.

Nice pics CCR, thanks for sharing

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":1z5kmf84][quote="fleetwood":1z5kmf84]That picture of the Luge is interesting. All green on one side and leaf coverage on the other. Is that something to do with sun exposure?

I guess it was the picture above the picture of the Luge that I was talking about.

[/quote:1z5kmf84][/quote:1z5kmf84]
      I think the mountain laurel likes the afternoon sun from the western exposure. The other side of the ridge would get none of that.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Awesome photos!! Looks like another great ride I have to come back to Virginia for 😃

Sure thing. These are the trails close to where you stayed. Your friend Dan has been riding and working on some of them too.

Hopefully by next summer we will have them all opened up. There is about 12 miles on Price Mountain open now, with about that much more on Patterson Mountain that we have started working on.

"ollysj" wrote

Nice pics CCR, thanks for sharing

Thanks Ollysj. Probably a bit different than the trails in your part of the world.

If you get a chance sometime post some trail pics from your backyard. I am curious since I traveled through that region last year and did not see any trails. I was super impressed with the greenway system in Germany and Holland. We in the US are decades behind you on that.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":1tco2z53]Awesome photos!! Looks like another great ride I have to come back to Virginia for 😃

Sure thing. These are the trails close to where you stayed. Your friend Dan has been riding and working on some of them too.

Hopefully by next summer we will have them all opened up. There is about 12 miles on Price Mountain open now, with about that much more on Patterson Mountain that we have started working on.[/quote:1tco2z53]

Right on! That’s very cool! Definitely need to get up there.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.