Phone number?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I’m trying to contact Trek to see just what kind of fork i can put onto my bike without hurting the frame at all…problem is i cant find the number anywhere on their website…

who do i call? anyone have the number?

you should try to call or go into your local trek dealer and see if they can give you the phone# or ask them if they can call trek for you.

i did some searching and i found this as their phone#920.478.2191 but i dont know if its the correct # to call for questions.

Shoot Trek a email direct, and give them a good day to respond. You’ll actually get a response from their engineers and tech guys and probably a few extra bits of info.

http://www.trekbikes.com/faq/contact.php

+20mm or -20mm is usually a good number. So if you have a 80mm fork you can do a 100mm or 60mm.

yeah, really no reason to call Trek for this. Just compare the specs of the new and old. A longer axle-to-crown measurement will slacken the headtube and slow down the steering, a shorter one will do the opposite. But yeah, +/-20mm and you wont notice much difference.

well i emailed trek and this is what i got…

but i think im going to buy a 100mm fork just simply because i cant find anything that is 80mm and the one i have really sucks…(SR Suntour)

Anthony,

Thanks for writing.

We can’t really recommend using a fork longer than the original because production bikes are only tested with the forks supplied with them. There are a couple of reasons to use caution when considering an upgrade.

First, using a longer fork will change the geometry of the bike and can alter the bike’s handling characteristics. Depending on the type of riding you do, this may or may not be a major concern.

The second and larger concern is that the fork acts as a lever, applying force from the trail to the head tube. A longer fork is effectively a longer lever, multiplying the force applied to the frame. This could potentially exceed the engineered limits of the frame and cause a failure of the welds around the head tube. For this reason, using a longer than standard fork voids the frame warranty.

Also, if your riding skills and choice of trail are beyond the stock fork’s limits, you may also be at the limits of the braking system and wheels, etc. It may be worth considering an upgrade to more than the fork.

Thanks again,
      Dennis

Dennis Bredemann | Trek Bicycle Corporation| Technical and Customer Services | 801 W. Madison Street, Waterloo, WI 53594 | Ph: 920-478-4678

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.