Pet Peeves of the Trail

Viewing 80 reply threads
  • Author

One of today’s blog posts got me thinking.

What is everyone’s pet peeves from riding? Nothing major like a mechanical or an injury, but what "little thing" really grinds your gears, so to speak.

Mine is definitely spider webs. I can’t stand riding through them. I don’t mind the spiders (I usually find 3-4 on me during/after the ride) but those wispy strands of web drive me NUTS.

So what’s your pet peeves?

People that ride in organized areas and don’t follow the rules. Riding against the days trail direction, no helmet, loud music devices, bad language, rude overall actions. I believe everyone has the right to ride but not at the expence of others. I guess the worst thing is riders that are riding along with spider webs all over them. Disgusting! LOL 😄 Later,

D O G C R A P,I cannot stand dog crap at the trails,and this year it seems like EVERYONE is leaving their bags o’ crap lying on the side of the trail.Got soo mad at all the bags of crap that I started packing em out one time,then I realised I cannot carry out a dozen bags of dog crap,absolutely disgusting.. 😠

Litter of any sort has to be at the top of my list. You brought it in why can’t you carry it out. Loud music is number two, I enjoy having some tunes to listen to as much as the next guy but I prefer to pick what I listen to. Number 3 please remove the reflectors from you bike.

Ok there are more. Flat tire? Leave the old tube. Finished power bar or Goo(sorry mtbgreg1) food wrappers of any kind. No respect, no class! 😠 Later,

I was riding today and saw a couple of plastic water bottles. I hate plastic water bottles and refuse to use them at all, plus water is free!! I use a reusable water bottle (Nalgene) and I wish others would find something too, as we are wasting natural resources. Sorry about the rant, however whenever out probably 4-5 miles in trail land you find a water bottle, why???? Pick up after yourself. Like we all say, pack it in, pack it out!! Its funny how across the board everyone posting sees the same things, bar wrappers, poop, bottles, etc. Sounds like a common trend these days. Sad to see!! When I am out of the area of the general population I hope that everyone shares the same interest and tries to keep their area clean.

However, Ride On!!

Descenders not yielding to climbers. 😈

Horse Poop! Always in a big pile, never in a bag, and always on a turn! Come on people.

In no particular order…

– Horse poop
      – Litter (especially bike-related litter)
      – People with ear buds in so they can’t hear bikers, joggers, equestrians, etc.
      – Wet logs that make me wash out my rear tire and I eat ground
      – Gravity. I’m totally gravity’s b*tch.

"fat_billy" wrote

I guess the worst thing is riders that are riding along with spider webs all over them. Disgusting! LOL 😄 Later,

I couldn’t agree more! 😆

I can’t imagine finding an old tube along the trail…

Agreed on the waste comments (both litter and crap.)

Fitch, Good call on gravity. Being circumference challenged makes me a gravity bitch as well. True victory is topping a climb as your vision starts to grey out with a down hill on the other side or just stop at the top untill you can see and talk again. The downhill makes use of gravity for so short a time and then it’s pedal fat boy. 😄 Later,

People with ear buds in so they can’t hear bikers, joggers, equestrians, etc

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this one. I have literally screamed at people to get their attention to no avail.

Can you say "Jabroni’s"?

"Fitch" wrote

People with ear buds in so they can’t hear bikers, joggers, equestrians, etc.

😳 guilty…

-rude hikers/bikers (you know, those guys who won’t let you pass)
      -unleashed dogs
      -litterers ( 😕 is that a word? people who litter)

I ride with ear buds but the music is so low that I can barely hear it. Just need some sound when I am by myself.

My two biggest pet peeves:

1: People that stop in the middle of the trail
      2: I hate it when you pass another rider that is taking a break and as soon as you pass them they think they are in a race to catch you.

Thick thorn bushes 1 inch off the trail on a difficult downhill switchback = bleeding

Also riding a trail for the first time….ending up in massive overgrowth. I can never bring myself to turn around!

Maybe I just hate plants.

"fat_billy" wrote

Ok there are more. Flat tire? Leave the old tube. Finished power bar or Goo(sorry mtbgreg1) food wrappers of any kind. No respect, no class! 😠 Later,

I’m with you dude! I HATE it when people litter! I just picked up a bunch of crap from a recent race on my ride last night. Not cool!

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="fat_billy":238kk0zb]Ok there are more. Flat tire? Leave the old tube. Finished power bar or Goo(sorry mtbgreg1) food wrappers of any kind. No respect, no class! 😠 Later,

I’m with you dude! I HATE it when people litter! I just picked up a bunch of crap from a recent race on my ride last night. Not cool![/quote:238kk0zb]

+1. There is no excuse ESPECIALLY since so many people ride with packs. Even a basic hydration pack has a small pocket. Eat your cliff bar and then PUT THE TINY WRAPPER IN THE BAG!!!!! And with regard to leaving a spent tube on the trail, I have seen it and it too annoys me. Same thing, figure out a way to pack the old tube up. Somehow you got your replacement on the trail…switch it out.

Also agree that people who stop in the middle of a trail annoy me. I was at Kingdom Trails 2 weeks ago, ending on a KILLER DH section when some woman stopped right at the top of cool stunt IN THE MIDDLE. Lady, get out of the way.

You can add me to the list of people annoyed by down-hillers who don’t yield to climbers. As with Fat Billy, I am "gifted" around the mid-section and for me to stop mid climb, it becomes an act of congress to get the bike going again.

Other than the things that have been mentioned already, it really bothers me to see people who leave their children and/or significant other in the dust to struggle on their own. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve passed a struggling 10-15 year old or a wife/girlfriend only to go a half mile down the trail and see their dad or significant other waiting with an annoyed face. If you’re going on a family ride you should be considerate of your group.

"topjimmy" wrote

I ride with ear buds but the music is so low that I can barely hear it. Just need some sound when I am by myself.

My two biggest pet peeves:

1: People that stop in the middle of the trail
      2: I hate it when you pass another rider that is taking a break and as soon as you pass them they think they are in a race to catch you.

I used to ride with earbuds, low music, and only one earbud in place. I ditched the music all together once I figured out I could hear my tires. A very cool sound, especially when pumping the terrain and turning pretty hard…although, I usually just hear my labored breathing. I do miss the music at times, but mostly when it’s just gravel travel. I don’t even notice not having it while on singletrack.

@jtorlando25

Agreed completely. If you’re going on a family ride, they should actually [i:15r850qn]ride[/i:15r850qn] with the [i:15r850qn]family.[/i:15r850qn]

"limetownjack" wrote

actually the word for that is *$$hole. they look like ( I )

I can take any natural element on a trail – spiderwebs, bugs, etc, but I have serious issues with the lack of courtesy on the trails.

#1 I am onboard with the descenders failing to yield to the uptrackers.

#2 Horse poop. I get that most towns have that law on their books that allow certain privileges to horse owners, but there are "catch bags" available for use in cities, why not on trails? If people have to clean up a tiny little dog dropping, they should have to shovel their horse’s droppings, too.

#3 Parents who slap an improperly fitted helmet on their kid’s head, and don’t even bother to wear one themselves. Absolutely brilliant planning. Hope your kid can wipe up your self-inflicted drool.

I’m sure after today’s ride, I’ll have many more.

"Givati" wrote

Descenders not yielding to climbers. 😈

asinine rule. dangerous. probably made up by roadies to kill off mtn bikers.

unless the climb is steep and the rider would have difficulty mounting again, it makes little sense on the trail. maybe for you strictly xc types that enjoy crazy climbs or are timing your laps it’s cool, but for >90% of the time it can be dangerous. for example, if someone is barreling down at 25mph and i’m climbing at 2mph, i am absolutely going to yield the trail to him. it’s not only safer, far safer in fact, but it also doesn’t ruin his flow. me, i’ll just get back on and continue.

maybe at the advent of mtn biking people just weren’t railing like they can on the modern machines, but physics dictates that someone going fast downhill has less ability to stop and/or reroute than someone going 2 mph. it is courteous to get the f’ out of his way and let him enjoy the spin down that he (and you) climbed up for.

nothing i hate more than hitting stride down a flowy section only to have to pull over because some turtle who was taught ‘climbers have the right of way’ is hogging the whole trail.

more experienced riders nearly always yield, either direction.

yield to flow and speed. it’s not only safer, but someday someone may do the same for you. you’ll thank them for it.

"JSatch" wrote

more experienced riders nearly always yield, either direction.

yield to flow and speed. it’s not only safer, but someday someone may do the same for you. you’ll thank them for it.

Boosh! I’ll drink to that.

"brianW" wrote

[quote="limetownjack":196ajw6h]

actually the word for that is *$$hole. they look like ( I )[/quote:196ajw6h]

agreed, literererers obviously have never heard the expression, "don’t sh*#t where you sleep"

JSatch, I’m like Fitch, I’ll drink to that. Warning! I’ll drink to almost anything especially if you’re buying. Brown liquor, clear liquor, wine or beer? Just asking. 😄 Later,

Hikers that give you a dirty look as though mountain bikes are ruining ‘their’ forest. Hello people! The trail you’re walking on? The Mountain Bike Associations groomed that and are the most forest conservative people you could meet. You’re welcome.

I don’t give hikers a hard time but their dirty looks make me wish I could "roost" ’em with my MTB like I could with my 450cc motocross bike. I’ve never seen any hikers working on the trail to help preserve it or stop erosion. They just pad along with their flat hats and earth shoes making faces at mountain bikers. There I’ve vented. 😄 Later,

"MBgirl" wrote

Hikers that give you a dirty look as though mountain bikes are ruining ‘their’ forest. Hello people! The trail you’re walking on? The Mountain Bike Associations groomed that and are the most forest conservative people you could meet. You’re welcome.

contrary to popular belief mtn bikers have about the same impact on trails than hikers, and less than equestrians (http://www.imba.com/resources/research/trail-science), and as there are more hikers nationally than mtn bikers, well….

importantly, as mtn bikers do not go off trail they have negligible impact on wildlife and flora relative to hikers, who often travel off trail and can disturb often sensitive ecosystems.

give the hikers a dirty look back, supported by (your) data not (their) arrogance.

"fat_billy" wrote

I don’t give hikers a hard time but their dirty looks make me wish I could "roost" ’em with my MTB like I could with my 450cc motocross bike. I’ve never seen any hikers working on the trail to help preserve it or stop erosion. They just pad along with their flat hats and earth shoes making faces at mountain bikers. There I’ve vented. 😄 Later,

my pet peeve is a atv’er using the trails which makes deep ruts in the mud hole. then when ever you ride through them, ya end up over the bars bathed in mud and dirt. not to mention the erosion on the climbs.

ATVs and motorcycles should not be on MTB trails. They have their own areas for that. 😄 Later,

other people on the trail (equestrians) who give you dirty looks for riding on "their" trail, especially when I go out of my way to make sure I am observing all the rules of the trail.

hikers with earbuds at the top of my list. you call out ,ring your bell, slow down and when you finally get their attention ,they panic and step right in front of you. Then they are pissed off at you. anytime you are walking or riding you need all your senses to be aware of whats going on around you.

almost forgot a hiker with earbuds and ski poles.

Used to be annoyed by people with ear buds in that couldn’t hear me coming.
      But then I realized I carry a pistol for protection against critters most of the time.
      Touching off a couple rounds unexpectedly behind them is usually enough to get their attention and make them crap down both legs. Downright amusing too.

"bigskycountry" wrote

But then I realized I carry a pistol for protection against critters most of the time.
      Touching off a couple rounds unexpectedly behind them is usually enough to get their attention and make them crap down both legs. Downright amusing too.

Yeah I’m sure you really do that 😏

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="bigskycountry":3t89w1gl]Used to be annoyed by people with ear buds in that couldn’t hear me coming.

Yeah I’m sure you really do that 😏[/quote:3t89w1gl]

Just once…..to somebody I knew. Lighten up a little bit.

"bigskycountry" wrote

I’ve told this story a number of times but this actually happened to me on a trail except it was a hunter and his pet peeve was me biking through his hunting area and making noise. He fired a shot in the air and I got the picture. 😀

[This was at Lick Fork BTW dgaddis]

Didn’t his gun make more noise than your MTB? Just asking. I’ve ridden up on a couple of deer on the trail and had them look pissed I was on their trail. I know it wasn’t their trail because it was market clockwise Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and counter clockwise Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Wait a damn minuet, those pesky deer WEREN’T wearing helmets so they shouldn’t have been there at all! Where’s the guy in the Smokey Bear Hat when you need ’em! Deer peeve me! 😄 Later,

"trek7k" wrote

[quote="bigskycountry":3ftxrtsm]Used to be annoyed by people with ear buds in that couldn’t hear me coming.

I’ve told this story a number of times but this actually happened to me on a trail except it was a hunter and his pet peeve was me biking through his hunting area and making noise. He fired a shot in the air and I got the picture. 😀

[This was at Lick Fork BTW dgaddis][/quote:3ftxrtsm]

I’ve heard of this happening at Tsali in NC, which is absurd because that place gets SO much MTB traffic.

"trek7k" wrote

[quote="bigskycountry":2vevcfo6]Used to be annoyed by people with ear buds in that couldn’t hear me coming.

[This was at Lick Fork BTW dgaddis][/quote:2vevcfo6]

what makes you think he shot in the air?

I’ve seen a bunch of hunters at the Bull Mountain ride near (Ex Goo’s) home town. I took a wrong turn once in that area and ended up in the Camp Merrill area(Ranger School) in Dahlonega. The cliff they use to teach rappelling has a big white arrow pointing off the cliff to avoid confusion. But that is a different story. Some camoed gentlemen came out of the woods quietly carring these black rifles. They liked my MTB but the Master Sgt wasn’t amused but directed me the correct way back toward the Nimblewheel church area. I was miles off course but the Ranger camp is kinda large. It was way dark and cold when I reached the car. Should’a asked for a MRE. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

I’ve seen a bunch of hunters at the Bull Mountain ride near (Ex Goo’s) home town. I took a wrong turn once in that area and ended up in the Camp Merrill area(Ranger School) in Dahlonega. The cliff they use to teach rappelling has a big white arrow pointing off the cliff to avoid confusion. But that is a different story. Some camoed gentlemen came out of the woods quietly carring these black rifles. They liked my MTB but the Master Sgt wasn’t amused but directed me the correct way back toward the Nimblewheel church area. I was miles off course but the Ranger camp is kinda large. It was way dark and cold when I reached the car. Should’a asked for a MRE. 😄 Later,

The rangers will do patrols/training out on some of the trails too. I’ve come across groups of them many times while riding. I’ve even been riding past where they’ve had a massive stationary gun set up firing off rounds into the hillside

mtbgreg1, You ever been to the nuclear lab in Dawsonville? I guess it is called Area 51. I’d like to see it sometime. Maybe this fall. 😄 Later,

Oh yeah Nuclear Labs do Peeve me.

"tjc58" wrote

Horse Poop! Always in a big pile, never in a bag, and always on a turn! Come on people.

I agree on this but, most trails at least out in Colorado are equestrian friendly so that’s going to happen.

Agree to not yielding, some people just don’t know this which is unfortunate

about hunters: man if there right on a trail they best know that they will see traffic.

the thing that erks me the most is big groups, 6 or more not yeilding to a solo rider. I feel as if you have a slower small group you should always yield no matter what.

Great subject!

"neil.beltchenko" wrote

[quote="tjc58":1iafk6s2]Horse Poop! Always in a big pile, never in a bag, and always on a turn! Come on people.

I agree on this but, most trails at least out in Colorado are equestrian friendly so that’s going to happen.

about hunters: man if there right on a trail they best know that they will see traffic.

the thing that erks me the most is big groups, 6 or more not yeilding to a solo rider. I feel as if you have a slower small group you should always yield no matter what.

Great subject![/quote:1iafk6s2]

im usually a solo rider and I always yield to everyone, no matter mid climb or downhill. i will certainly yield to 2 or more riders. Easier for me to stop than 2+ people.

Tbh, I hate when I yield to riders and they dont nod or say thank you, its a courtesy, not a requirement. Dont have much of a horse poo problem here in GA but I do see beer bottles laying around on some trails and that annoys me to no end.

"BikerPanda" wrote

[quote="neil.beltchenko":1arveieg][quote="tjc58":1arveieg]Horse Poop! Always in a big pile, never in a bag, and always on a turn! Come on people.

Great subject![/quote:1arveieg]

im usually a solo rider and I always yield to everyone, no matter mid climb or downhill. i will certainly yield to 2 or more riders. Easier for me to stop than 2+ people.

Tbh, I hate when I yield to riders and they dont nod or say thank you, its a courtesy, not a requirement. Dont have much of a horse poo problem here in GA but I do see beer bottles laying around on some trails and that annoys me to no end.[/quote:1arveieg]

Depends which trails you’re on. In Dahlonega we have no end of horse crap!

"mtbgreg1"I’ve heard of this happening at Tsali in NC, which is absurd because that place gets SO much MTB traffic.[/quote]

Yup, I saw a hunter on the Mouse Branch loop at Tsali once. Guy was walking with his shotgun and we came flying around a bend and just about crapped our shammies.

[quote wrote

You ever been to the nuclear lab in Dawsonville? I guess it is called Area 51. I’d like to see it sometime. Maybe this fall.

Dawson Forest. At the trailhead there’s a fenced area where apparently there’s some nuclear "stuff." Otherwise the place isn’t really very interesting – trails are wide and horse-trodden.

The trails around Bull Mtn. ride are separated a: bikes b: horse, or were in the old days. They must still be since Goo says no Poo. 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

The trails around Bull Mtn. ride are separated a: bikes b: horse, or were in the old days. They must still be since Goo says no Poo. 😄 Later,

Nope they’re definitely not separated now! Some of the most popular horse trails in the state… 😢

I can’t stand running out of water with plenty of trail left.
      I hate it when trail groomers dumb down and
      remove gnar and technical sections of trail. 😈 See-Ya!

Maybe just a Florida thing, but I hate riding into a cloud of gnats/flies. Things are damn near invisible and they stick to sweaty faces/arms (or worse, in your mouth).

"sal_pic" wrote

Maybe just a Florida thing, but I hate riding into a cloud of gnats/flies. Things are damn near invisible and they stick to sweaty faces/arms (or worse, in your mouth).

Well Sal, if they get stuck in your mouth all you need to do is swallow. It’s good easy protein! 😆

My pet peeve is when you’re riding in a group and the guy in the lead keeps stopping at the top of the hill so that everyone below has to stop on the slope. My brother has a really bad habit of that.

I get bugged by getting smart-aleck comments from roadies while I’m riding my bike to the trails or elsewhere. And I’m a roadie, too.

I also get some "old man" comments. I got one at the top of Vail Pass — which I had just climbed. A guy blew by me and ask if I had a living will.

Kinda feels like a kick in the gut to be abused by fellow cyclists

Riders that toss their empty goo packs on the trail.
      Like they are so bad ass that 1) they need those 120 calories immediately, yet 2) they got their mojo going so good that they can not take the time or effort to pocket their own garbage.

Once riding dirt bikes in nor cal forest me and my buddy took a trail that went straight down a hill and it crossed the fire road several times. We heard a shot and when got to the bottom we had scared a buck that ran down the trail away from us right in front of a jeep full of hunters.

Unleashed dogs really suck, but people with their dogs on twenty foot retractable leashes are even worse. Then, when you get a gaggle of old ladies with their flea-bitten little rat bags sniffing one anothers’ butts (the dogs, usually not the old ladies) it’s time for the brake test. Really ruins my mood.

ShinyPebble@ Yeah I ride Bent Creek too! The riders with dogs seem to mostly have theirs under control but the walkers..especially the ones with leashes seem to have no clue.

My biggest pet peeve on a trail is running through spider webs. 😎

people who litter, and hikers who think they own the trail

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="fat_billy":smtjpicr]I’ve seen a bunch of hunters at the Bull Mountain ride near (Ex Goo’s) home town. I took a wrong turn once in that area and ended up in the Camp Merrill area(Ranger School) in Dahlonega. The cliff they use to teach rappelling has a big white arrow pointing off the cliff to avoid confusion. But that is a different story. Some camoed gentlemen came out of the woods quietly carring these black rifles. They liked my MTB but the Master Sgt wasn’t amused but directed me the correct way back toward the Nimblewheel church area. I was miles off course but the Ranger camp is kinda large. It was way dark and cold when I reached the car. Should’a asked for a MRE. 😄 Later,

The rangers will do patrols/training out on some of the trails too. I’ve come across groups of them many times while riding. I’ve even been riding past where they’ve had a massive stationary gun set up firing off rounds into the hillside[/quote:smtjpicr]

… I miss Dahlonega. Do not miss Benning or Florida. We had several folk watching us and climbing with us when I was there; even had races up the cliffs against a few em.
      "Should’a asked for a MRE"—Not many would be willing to give one up, not that I blame them.

Pet Peeve: Trash on the trail not more than a 100′ from the waste bin… makes no sense.

Not sure I agree with the down hillers yielding to the climbers. Gravity tends to win that battle.

The plastic bottles in the middle of the trails are pretty annoying, also the wrappers get me wound-up.

Hikers walking with the MTN bike traffic instead of against it like rules specify.

"jrobertharms" wrote

almost forgot a hiker with earbuds and ski poles.

And I thought some mountain bikers are prissy. If I was walking through the woods, on trails of all places, using ski poles, I’d have to kick my own ass. It’s not like they’re ascending a huge mountain creating their own path.

So being a mountain biker, hikers get pissed off at me all the time because we "tear up the trails’ and get in their way. I live in Oregon, and I see tons of Hiker only trails. Does anyone know if there are bike only trails, or know how we can solve this whole pissed off hiker problem?

"sureshot" wrote

people who litter, and hikers who think they own the trail

exactly! Litter kills the "away from civilization" mood for me and those damned hikers… it’s easier for them to step off the trail than it is for us to slow down for them. Plus it’s a buzz kill. On top of that, they have tons of trails dedicated to hikers only. 😈

Biggest pet peeves in no real order,

Dog crap on the trail.
      Dog walkers that don’t move off the trail.
      Dog walkers that pick the crap up in those little bags, then toss the bags or leave them hanging from branches a long the trail.

I have a few pic but I’m sure everyone gets the point!

BTW I love dogs and have a couple myself, it’s the irresponsible owners that PMO!

"slipfinger" wrote

Biggest pet peeves in no real order,

Dog crap on the trail.
      Dog walkers that don’t move off the trail.
      Dog walkers that pick the crap up in those little bags, then toss the bags or leave them hanging from branches a long the trail.

I have a few pic but I’m sure everyone gets the point!

BTW I love dogs and have a couple myself, it’s the irresponsible owners that PMO!

Leaving dog crap hanging in trees? That’s sick!

"redman27" wrote

Thick thorn bushes 1 inch off the trail on a difficult downhill switchback = bleeding

Also riding a trail for the first time….ending up in massive overgrowth. I can never bring myself to turn around!

Maybe I just hate plants.

Then you’d hate riding in the southwest. While the trails are great we have Cats Claw, Wait-a-minute bush, mesquite, acacia, locust, ocotillo, agaves and cactus. Danger, watch out!

Was going to start this thread but saw that someone started this several years ago.

What’s the deal with not saying “thank you”??? I can’t tell you how many times I (instinctively) yield to another rider coming the opposite direction on the trail – even when I supposedly have the right away – and the rider doesn’t offer a simple “thanks”.   I will typically even call out ahead and tell them to “keep coming” usually as I am skidding to a halt.  I make it a point to always thank someone when they stop for me even if they were supposed to yield just because I appreciate the fact that they did.  Plus, I’d like to think that courtesy is contagious.  When they don’t reciprocate, I have a tendency to call out a sarcastic “your welcome” after they’ve past me. Yeah, I know, I know.  Maybe one day I’ll grow up.  Then again…

I’d echo the walker, hiker, runner, or even biker with headphones in OR music playing out loud. Not only for the safety concerns, but why the heck come out to nature to listen to manufactured sounds?!

Cholla cactus balls, goatheads and rattlesnakes. Espically rattlesnakes coiled into a flat pancake that looks like a cow patty.

Unleashed dogs and dog crap in the middle of the trail. This is a designated MTB trail, lots of  other places for hikers around here. GRRR

On the top of my list, riders riding the wrong way on a one way trail.  Not so much those that didn’t know better because of bad signage, or unfamiliarity with trail etiquette (new rider), etc.  They’re usually thankful for the advice on which way to ride the trail.  But those that do know better and do it anyway… yeah… top of my list.

The usual – hikers, garbage, poop, rude people in general, etc.

Mosquitoes!!  I rode Friday evening after work.  It was completely still, humid, and warm (started at 31C, dropped to 23C).  I’m used to being attacked when I stop for a breather, but this time I was being attacked to whole time.  It’s hard to ride a rough downhill when a skitter is chewing on your face.  I’m covered in itchy bites!

Spider webs.  Normally I don’t mind them too much, but they always seem to either get in my mouth or across my glasses.  Benefit of riding with a buddy, let them go first and clear the webs!

Being dropped by the group.  Sorry that I’m not as fast as everyone else!  I started back into riding at 36 (a year ago now) and have never been good at cardio.  No one in my family does cardio well, we all do power/weightlifting/strength stuff best.  I do my best, but when I’m struggling to keep up with the pace and then you throw in a hill, I simply cannot do it.  When I do catch up, give me a chance to rest a minute and take a drink.

I echo the sentiment re: unleashed dogs.  Th other day I was flying down a steep and moderately technical section – one of the more challenging and fun sections in the park – when a women stopped in the middle of the trail waving her arms.  I obviously slowed down, rear end skidding out as it was very sandy with tons of exposed roots and rocks from heavy erosion.  I then realize she just doesn’t want me to run over her little terrier that’s about 30 feet further down the trail.  Granted this is a multiuse trail and hikers/bikers tend to be civil here.  I have a dog and I like to give him as much freedom as practical.  But c’mon.  And to top it off, the dog starts running after me barking.

On my last ride I was going through a nice, gentle downhill section that just weaved back and forth nicely, was totally enjoying the flow of it.  Then I came around a right hand turn and there’s a hiker walking 15 feet ahead of his dog that’s dragging it’s leash.  Dog is just standing in the middle of the trail, not moving.  Even when I stopped with my front tire right in front of his nose.  Totally killed my rhythm on that section.

Dogs are awesome. Most dog owners are not.

OK.  I apologize in advance for the rant but here’s another situation that lit my fuse the other day.  Made the climb to the top of this trail system.  (NB: when I’m pushing myself up a difficult climb one of the key motivators for me is knowing that the descent is worth it).  As I begin my descent and starting to really pick up speed I have to hit the brakes almost immediately as there’s a group of about 15-20 hikers coming up.  They’re spread out all over the trail (think top to bottom as well as side to side) and they don’t exactly move aside very quickly at all which basically makes me have to keep stopping – and on some pretty sketchy sections.  (Yeah, I know good practice for my track stands. LOL)  It’s a multi-use trail and it’s not uni-directional so there wasn’t anything inherently wrong but I just can’t understand why people aren’t more considerate… they could clearly see me coming.  Makes me appreciate those people that call down to their fellow hikers asking them to make room all the more.

I have mixed feelings on just what you mentioned.  I guess the “etiquette” is down hill yields to up hill.  Me personally, I try to assess the situation (who steep, how technical, speed, etc.) and make eye contact.  It usually turns out 50/50 as to who yields to who.  I’ve not had any issues (yet), just exchanging smiles and thank you’s.  But yeah, I have been on a few multi mile uphill rides to go down once, only to have to stop on the way down.

@FredCook – I completely agree that trail etiquette is for downhill to yield to uphill and that MTB yields to hikers.  Both would apply in this case.  With that said, this is a section of trail which is fairly technical but wide enough to allow each to safely pass (obviously at a reasonable speed).  It’s kind of how some road cyclists ride 3+ riders wide creating hazards for cars.  I totally get that on any multi-directional trail you may have to yield and interrupt your flow and I fully accept that.  This is more a matter of thinking beyond yourself and instead of staying in the middle of the trail and continuing to hike up – as someone is suspended precariously on a bike obviously waiting for you to move aside – maybe showing a little courtesy.  But I’ll stop my ranting now 😉

there’s a group of about 15-20 hikers coming up

This would make me rethink even riding at this location. I know, that’s easy to say when it’s not my local go-to spot, and it’s not fair to have another user group dominate the trail. Just saying at some point it’s not worth the hassle.

Maybe this is what drives mountain bikers to build renegade lines.

@ JeffBarber
        Jeff, this is a fairly well-used park so I stay away on weekends.  I usually head there on a Monday morning when foot traffic is not too bad.  This past Monday, however, was Veteran’s Day – which I didn’t realize initially – so it was a bit more crowded than usual for that time.  I completely accept the fact that MTB’ers have to share the trail and that we are probably the unwanted stepchild.  What I think is getting lost in this rant is the broader issue of (lack of) courtesy and the consideration of others.  (NB: from my perspective this is not an MTB-specific issue but indicative of a more pervasive societal issue).  Many times I go out of my way to yield to other users, say “good morning”, compliment them on their activity, thank someone for yielding, etc.  And I don’t necessary expect those things in return but I certainly appreciate it when I do.  Maybe I have unrealistic expectations but I do expect some basic common courtesy… just saying (or ranting in this case).  Lol

Wow rmap01 didnt see the thread. Glad and not so glad to see that other mountain bikers are not just enjoying themselves to the fullest riding their mountain bike lol. Ill have to say something as simple and easy as common curtesy is not that easy or simple to some.Guess there is always people that are gonna take something or everything of  pleasure to the negative side no matter. I’m out riding to cure the evils that lurk inside of me and then some bonehead wants to bring them back out lol. Most of the time people are decent but if they are not, whats their purpose i ask? Stay away from those of us who love the sport no matter of weather, bike problems, injury,all the mishaps that can tear down a person thats not there for the love of riding trails of all kinds. Its not a job you hate but a sport to love and  grow on constantly and learn and make friendships and so on and so on. Quite possibly might have saved my life more than once so im very grateful to ride and use that thought towards the respect of others and the trails and the wildlife. Even e-bikers lol

Bugs! At times I ride in the low lands of SC. I have to wear goggles, a bandanna over my mouth and still get popped in my arms face and legs from small mosquitoes all the way up to the ‘B52’ June bugs.

– people with earbuds that walk down the center of the trail oblivious to others

– a close second is people with bluetooth speakers and loud music on the trails.

Uncontrolled dogs

Dog crap

Litter

Trail sanitizing

People smoking (tobacco or weed) on the trail

Trail users of any type who can’t hear over their earbuds

People blasting music on the trail

Viewing 80 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.