Parts compatibility

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone! I am looking to get a 1×11 set up in the next few weeks. I am going to grab the raceface narrow/wide single ring up front but I still have not pick out a rear set up. What do i need to be on the look out for as far as compatibility goes with the rest of the components on my bike. I have all shimano SLX right now. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Might as well put all your SLX stuff on the shelf. 😀 I assume you’re going with the SRAM 1×11 system and not trying to roll your own using Shimano road parts…

Obviously you’ll need a new shifter and derailleur that’s 11spd. And a new cassette with narrow/wide teeth. Oh, and the cassette won’t fit on a standard rear hub so you’ll also need an XD driver body. And don’t forget a new chain!

I’ve got an article scheduled for tomorrow detailing a recent 1-by conversion to my 2×10 drivetrain. In the end this was a much cheaper/easier option. Sure, 1×10 doesn’t give you quite the gear range of 1×11 but I’ve found that even 1×9 is more than enough for me.

"jeff" wrote

Might as well put all your SLX stuff on the shelf. 😀

Obviously you’ll need a new shifter and derailleur that’s 11spd. And a new cassette with narrow/wide teeth. Oh, and the cassette won’t fit on a standard rear hub so you’ll also need an XD driver body. And don’t forget a new chain!

Exactly. You need LOTS! (And it’s [i:3gae8eme]very[/i:3gae8eme] expensive. 11 speed cassette alone is $400.) I couldn’t agree more with just going 1 x 10. If you’re getting that Race Face ring, good call. That’s one of two key parts to a single ring setup, both of which prevent the chain from falling off. The only other crucial thing is to make sure you have an SLX rear derailleur model RD-M675 not 670. The 675 has the clutch mechanism that prevents the chain from bouncing around. Without a front derailleur, your chain would otherwise fall off regularly. So if you don’t have that, your options are to either buy a Shimano derailleur with that (SLX, XT, XTR) or get a chain guide / chain keeper. But note the chain guide negates the need for that special Race Face ring, adds more weight, etc. So if you go that route, you could get away with returning the ring.

I know its been awhile but I slapped on the RaceFace narrow wide and replaced my rear cassette and I think I am in love. 😃

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.