Pagosa Springs

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anybody have suggested rides for the Pagosa area? Trying to scout a few trails before late July vacation.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Honez,
      Sorry nobody’s responded. The area around Pagosa has some of the most spectacular mountains on the planet, but most of them see little to no knobby traffic. I’ve hiked a good bit around there, but it remains on my bucket list for riding.

See the link below for a good list of rides in the area. From what I know, Brockover is the most popular. The section of the Continental Divide Trail that intersects Wolf Creek Pass above town is probably the most spectacular.

Hope you have a great time and we’d love to see some new trails/trail reports as a result of your visit!

Not far is Penitente Canyon, about 30 miles of sweet singletrack maybe 35 miles northeast. Better known for rock climbing.
      La Garita volcanic caldera has the Deep Creek shuttle, trail #806, that is on my ‘must ride’ list. Near Creede.
      Brazos Ridge in northern NM, I’m told is a great piece of the Continental Divide Trail.
      Stay off nearby Tewksbury Trail near South Fork. It was ATV dust years ago. The worst trail I ever tried.
      Expect monsoon rains then.

So these monsoon rains….is this a predictable evening rain or does it set in for multiple days with no relief? And is it acceptable to ride during this time if you stay out of the mud?

"honez1414" wrote

So these monsoon rains….is this a predictable evening rain or does it set in for multiple days with no relief? And is it acceptable to ride during this time if you stay out of the mud?

Most places it’ll rain for a few minutes to couple hours. It’s not the flooding monsoons of Bangladesh or Pakistan very often. Just carry a rain jacket.
      The higher you are generally, the stronger the storm. Many places drain well and usually have little problem with mud in the deserts.
      Here in Tucson most, but not all rains are in the afternoon, evening or overnight. In the mountains the rains usually come earlier and more often.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.