padded biking underwear / liner

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everybody,
      So I am pretty new to the Singletrack world but I am getting pretty into it, at least as much as I can with work, school, and kids all on my plate. I make it out at least once a week but now that I am trying to go twice a weekend it is taking a toll on my ass, I switched out my stock saddle to a WTB Pure V Comp, which improved but still made the second ride a little painful. I am not quite ready to drop 75 dollars on padded baggy biking shorts. So I figure maybe the padded underwear would be a cheaper step in the right, more comfortable, direction. I saw some on Nashbar.com but was hoping to get some advice on the topic ie recommendations.
      Thanks for the help!
      Zach

Hi there Spare and welcome to the site!

First off, I’m not trying to talk you out of buying things, just sharing my experience with the matter of tender bums and jiggly bits.

I am incredibly cheap and find the idea of $100 shirts, $75 shorts, $300 seats and the like to be laughable. I ride with a cheap WTB seat and underwear, athletic shirts and cargo shorts from Wal-Mart. I ride at least three times a week for about 20 miles a ride, so I get to spend a lot of time on the saddle. I can tell you from the viewpoint of about 3,000 miles on the bike in the last year alone that your tukas will toughen up and the pain will subside. Sometimes, I’ll do a long ride(for me) of about 40 miles and when I’m done my ass is about the only thing that doesn’t hurt.

There are a couple of things that you need to ensure, however to help you along. First, the seat needs to fit you right. The saddle widths vary to match up to your sit bones(the two bony parts you actually sit on). Also, for us guys, a recessed channel down the center helps keep your jiggly bits from going numb. Secondly, your cockpit needs to be right. That means seat and handlebars correctly adjusted so that you’re not supporting yourself with your hands and wrists among a myriad of other things. Most notably, the seat needs to be level so that it’s not trying to slide you either toward the front or back of the bike. Bike shops often have a guy dedicated to setting up your bike properly, but the cost is around $300, here at least, so that falls into the huge pile of things there’s no way I’m going to pay that much for. With some research online, I’ve managed to muddle through and set up a bike that doesn’t hurt to ride.

I can’t tell you if the underwear or shorts would help, since I’ve never used any but my brother wears them and likes them just fine.

After only being on a new mountain bike for 6 months now I have to second what schwim said. Proper bike set up is worth working through yourself or having help doing and it will help your rear more than any padding will.

That being said I try to shop as smart as I possibly can and have been able to find two sets of the Fox Ranger Short with liner for mid $20 brand new. For what I spent on them they were worth the money. Mostly because of the liners breathability and their fit that help keep from chaffing on long (30+ mile) rides. Other than that it is just something everyone has to toughin up as they begin riding.

As a reference My rear quite hurting about 1 month after I started riding 3 times a week. Keep it up it will get better!

I always get a little sore in the beginning of each season, but after 2 or 3 rides a week for a couple weeks I’m back in the groove. I do enjoy biking shorts on long rides though. I found Nashbar shorts on sale aren’t bad or this Tenn brand I found on Amazon.com for about $20.

This may sound odd but there are two things I do that help eliminate chafing.

1. Go commando. May take a little getting used to, but it works.
      2. Designate a stick of deodorant for that area (I use the white kind). It’ll help keep this area lubricated and dry.

These two things have helped me a lot.

Great first post, right?

Proper fit and adjustment aside…..Get a a pair of padded cycling shorts. If you go to a store and check the different types you will quickly see what you get when you buy the higher ned versus the lower end ones. With that said, you don’t need the top of the line, but you will probably be happier with something in the middle. $40-50 should get you a decent pair from a biking apparel company. You can wear the shorts under a pair of baggy style shorts so you aren’t rocking the spandex look (plenty of people like the spandex…but I prefer wearing baggy shorts over mine). I usually wear a pair of Columbia quick dry shorts that I picked up at Sam’s club I think. The caveat to doing this is that when you buy a pair of built ins that are specifically designed for mountain biking you will likely get less movement/bunching of the outer shorts when you stand up and sit down repeatedly on the saddle. Or so I’ve been told…

Thanks for your input guys, and yes the more I have been going the better it has gotten. I do think I am going to get some because after getting out two and three days in a row I can really feel it. I also plan on doing a 75-mile weekend in about a month so I definitely don’t want to start that journey with some extra padding.

When I took mountain biking back up a few years ago, I rode for the first six months dressed like I used to when I rode as a kid and teen. Jeans, regular shorts, t shirts, and boxers, depending on weather. My ass was ruined the entire time, terrible hotspots, hemorrhoids, and even ball chafing.

Then I finally broke down and bought some Canari Gel bike shorts on sale at Academy Sports. Instant cure, I will NEVER ride without them again. I will occasionally ride around the neighborhood for about 2 miles without them but never anything more than about 10 minutes. The difference it makes is HUGE, seriously the best thing I’ve done to improve my enjoyment on the bike. Better than fancy wheels, or seat, or carbon whatever magic pedals beer cooler contraption, just buy some padded liners. Throw cargo or board shorts over em like I do if you want to be cheap yet retain some modesty, or just rock them solo if you don’t have small children on your trails. Wearing them without the outer layer is a great way to attract attention from the fairer sex, though occasionally now a days you’ll get some flack from both directions.

I always wear padded shorts. I watch for sales and don’t have a problem buying a year or two old "left overs". I bought a pair of cheap padded shorts from Amazon last year. They’re not the best quality short, but the liner works well and it is removable, so you can use them with any of your other shorts.

As dorky as you might think they are, I highly recommend a cycling bib (shorts with attached suspender type things that go under your shirt). I like knowing that my back end isn’t sticking out when I’m bent over really far and since there is no waist band, sitting in one position for a while means they won’t cut into you.

Personally I also prefer riding with the spandex stuff, ONLY because my shorts always seem to get caught on my saddle as I shift positions.

"dbisogno" wrote

Personally I also prefer riding with the spandex stuff, ONLY because my shorts always seem to get caught on my saddle as I shift positions.

I prefer lycra just because I look sexy! 😆 I wear baggy shorts on the MTB and lycra bibs on the road bike. I like baggy with a liner on the MTB because I’ve ripped a set or two of lycra and they’re not cheap…

I do like bibs. They keep everything where it should be and are worth the investment IMO. My goto bib is the Performance Ultra Bib Shorts, the quality as good as a lot of the higher end bibs and they’re always on sale.

I use hillbilly shorts when mtb because I don’t bounce as well as I used to. [url:8kggwfsl]http://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-protective-gear-27041-Impact/dp/B001CSYNZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435080649&sr=8-1&keywords=hillbilly+shorts[/url:8kggwfsl] On the road I just wear running shorts and a very light running shirt. Your ass toughens up pretty quickly, especially if you are road biking a lot as well as mtb.

Never saw that brand, love the name! I’ve considered buying a set like that for riding DH to compliment my arm and leg pads. I’ve nailed my upper thighs a few times, I can see the benefit of them!

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.