Overmountain Victory Trail (Wilkesboro NC) Mileage

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

The signage for the Overmountain Victory Trail states the main OVT as 5.8 Miles. The Shiner loop is officially stated as 2.5 miles.
      This should make for an 8.3 one-way trip, or 16.6 mile out and back (including the Shiner Loop both ways). I’ve done the out and back 3-4 times, yet my GPS always shows 13.2 miles. That seems like a big discrepancy. Ive asked the park rangers there, and they seem pretty sure of the posted mileage totals.
      I use Runkeeper Elite on my iphone to tracks routes and mileage when riding. It seems to give the distances right in line with the stated mileage on most other trails (and roads) I ride.
      Does anyone else have gps mileage info for this one? I’d like to know which is off, the signage or my gps tracker.

I haven’t been to that trail, but on the Rainbow Trail in Salida CO it is signed as 9 miles, however three of us each registered 11 and change on our bike computers.

I’m not sure why, but I think that type of discrepancy is pretty common.

A GPS calculates it"s mileage by getting position fixes from satellites. These fixes can be off by many meters, A bunch of off fixes can add up to a lot of miles. Who cares about exact miles, have fun and get there when you get there. 😃
      Yea I know there are reasons for needing exact miles, but a GPS is just another tool.
      A twistey trail like Overmountain Victory combined with heavy tree cover, I would bet on the GPS milage being off.

Cool. That makes sense. Yeah I don’t really care about mileage – as long as I get a good run in and Im worn out when im done! Just was wondering about the difference.

"Gronckle" wrote

Overmountain Victory Trail (Wilkesboro [color=#000000:9bghj2fd]NC Cabins For Sale[/color:9bghj2fd]) Mileage
      Postby Gronckle » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:08 am
      The signage for the Overmountain Victory Trail states the main OVT as 5.8 Miles. The Shiner loop is officially stated as 2.5 miles.
      This should make for an 8.3 one-way trip, or 16.6 mile out and back (including the Shiner Loop both ways). I’ve done the out and back 3-4 times, yet my GPS always shows 13.2 miles. That seems like a big discrepancy. Ive asked the park rangers there, and they seem pretty sure of the posted mileage totals.
      I use Runkeeper Elite on my iphone to tracks routes and mileage when riding. It seems to give the distances right in line with the stated mileage on most other trails (and roads) I ride.
      Does anyone else have gps mileage info for this one? I’d like to know which is off, the signage or my gps tracker.

I have not done this trail yet but I am going to soon thanks for the write up sound technical and fun

I have not done this trail yet but I am going to soon thanks for the write up sound technical and fun

It is an extremely fun trail -whatever the mileage is. Enjoy!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.