out of shape lol

Tagged: 

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

Ok I am a 5 year amateur bodybuilder. I spend two an a half hours 5 days a week in the gym I think I am in great shape and then I go mountain biking this morning and wow that kicked my ass it is hard lol. I squat 500# standing and leg press up to 1300# without a problem and I go mountain biking and my leg are like rubber .I have a lot of work to do on the trails this is fun

Yeah, just different muscle groups. I had the same trouble when I was just starting. I run long distance and thought that translated well into biking but when I encountered my first uphill, man I knew I was in trouble! But it gets easier. So just keep at it and have fun 😃

I will deff be doing it a few times a week and I will try to master mountain biking too it was so much fun and a few oh sh-t moments just on my first day

MTI

Welcome to the ride you will have fun! Nothing wrong with some cross training!

very true

Welcome to MTBing. 😛

Nothing I’ve found demands the kind of sustained aerobic exertion as steep long uphills, and it’s such a pain to start uphill. Of course if you were schlepping feather weight arms like me up those hills would make it a lot easier. LOL Enjoy

lol

I know the feeling. Just when I thought I was getting into better shape from mountain biking, I started getting into road biking and even just switching between the two different types of biking, I am a completely different type/level of sore after a day on my road bike 😆

I hope you don’t mind losing a little muscle mass… I’m sure you will be leaner too and in better cardio shape for a positive though.

I don’t think I will loose any muscle mass from biking may loose some fat % but that’s all and gain some needed cardio right now I am at 180# so I will monitor my weight can’t wait to get back out there and do again maybe Tuesday morning after the gym and before work

Welcome to the sport!! It will break you, but leave you wanting more!

Speaking from experience on the pain aspect here. I hit the ground a couple times on my Saturday ride, and I’ve been sore all over the past couple of days. I don’t bounce quite like I used to!

Mountain biking is crazy, isn’t it? It sure gives a great workout, not just to your legs, but your whole body. It is funny how even different types of mountain biking can affect you differently. I mostly ride cross country and road, and I am in pretty good shape for that, but this weekend I did my first straight up downhill of the season at Northstar Resort. My quads and shoulders hurt where they normally don’t from all the hard hits!

Glad you enjoyed your ride, it is a great sport to be involved in!

Eww, I hope I don’t have to see the loose muscle or loose fat … that would be gross. 😼

MTI
      "mtbgreg1" wrote

Welcome to the sport!! It will break you, but leave you wanting more!

Speaking from experience on the pain aspect here. I hit the ground a couple times on my Saturday ride, and I’ve been sore all over the past couple of days. I don’t bounce quite like I used to!

Gregg if you don’t bounce like you used to at your age you are in for a ride! Wait until you are 42!

"MTI" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":12hy0su6]Welcome to the sport!! It will break you, but leave you wanting more!

Gregg if you don’t bounce like you used to at your age you are in for a ride! Wait until you are 42![/quote:12hy0su6]

Ha, by that point my goal is to be so good that I never have to come in contact with the ground. 😼 Of course, things never go according to plan 😆

Welcome to MTBing!

I would have to say MTBing is more of a work out than running or jogging (not to mention a hell of a lot more exciting). I did a pretty good job working out this winter and my first couple rides in the spring killed me. I agree, you do use different muscle groups. My wife just laughs when I come home with a new scrape or bruise. The pain is all worth it!

I have really turned on the bike training at the gym doing a half hour on the bike at the gym on top of my 2 hour weight workout I am excited to see how it changes my ride at the trails . I am turning 44 this year and I feel better and look better than I did when I was in my 30’s

"ablack84" wrote

Welcome to MTBing!

My wife just laughs when I come home with a new scrape or bruise. The pain is all worth it!

All the women around me seem to wory a lot. I don’t help when I say things like "riding some trail yesterday, see?" holding up scraped wrist. lol

"jstrobby" wrote

I don’t think I will loose any muscle mass from biking may loose some fat % but that’s all and gain some needed cardio right now I am at 180# so I will monitor my weight can’t wait to get back out there and do again maybe Tuesday morning after the gym and before work

Your pretty light even for biking, must be cut down well on BMI. Fat is also fuel so be sure to keep food handy, and those legs can really overwhelm the O2 supply(I think that’s part of what you experience as "out of shape",) which is one of the gr8 things about mtb, that it challenges almost anyone’s fitness level in some way. 😃 Take care, it also can break bones. I know, LOL

"tikigoddess" wrote

Yeah, just different muscle groups. I had the same trouble when I was just starting. I run long distance and thought that translated well into biking but when I encountered my first uphill, man I knew I was in trouble! But it gets easier. So just keep at it and have fun 😃

I know what you mean. I’m one of maybe three people that use the "Stairmaster" at my gym. The only male! I can easily squat over 500 lbs. I thought that with my leg strength from exercising and riding bikes would translate well into jogging. NOPE!

I can totally relate I like the stepper machine my self lol

I feel your pain. I am 41 and just bought my first MTB. I go to the gym and thought I could just pickup riding like I use to when I was a kid. Was I ever wrong. It is a blast but I have a lot to learn and really need to work on getting into shape. Going up hills is a real battle.

I hear you on that one lol 43 here and having a blast too

"evotexas" wrote

Going up hills is a real battle.

It never gets easier, you just get faster.

Nah not really, it does certainly get easier. Great thing about riding is the more you do it the more fit you get, which means you can do it even more!

Viewing 23 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.