Opinions wanted on 3 bikes

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I have three bikes that I’m looking at.

The Trek Cobia has a SRAM X5 real derailer, and a Deore front with Avid Elixer hydraulic brakes and a Rockshox Recon Silver single air (100mm) fork and will run me $1129.

Trek Bicycle

A Cannondale SL2 Trail has the same brakes, SRAM X5 front a rear, and the same fork, but 80mm travel. It will run $1199.

TRAIL SL 2 – Trail SL – Hardtail – Mountain – Bikes – 2013

I also looked at a Scott Aspect 910, which has a Shimano XT rear and Deore fron derailers, with the Shimano hydraulic brakes, and a Rockshox XC32 single air fork. It will run $1350.

SCOTT Aspect 910 Bike – SCOTT Sports

The Scott will stretch my budget to it’s max.

Local shops have the Trek and Cannondale in stock, but the Scott will have to be ordered, as they don’t have my size in stock.

Suggestions???

Well looks like you’ve narrowed down the differences. What are you concerned about?

Demo, Demo, and Demo some more …. you will know the perfect bike once you ride it. The rest is just components that are easily swapped / upgraded.

Also don’t be afraid to buy a well-cared-for used bike or a leftover model year or demo from the shop. I saved $800 on my Anthem X 29er buy purchasing a leftover 2011 at the end of the season.

Just went through this and drove myself crazy. Madslacker has it right- Demo, demo. Once I rode the bikes it became obvious. What are you riding now?

Bought the Cannondale SL 2 this winter and really only got to put it through the paces one time, but it performed better than I had hoped. It is my first 29er and I took some convincing to make the jump from a full suspension 26 (Santa Cruz Heckler). I loved how the Cannondale rolled over minor roots, rocks and general trail debris. Sections that tended to bog my speed down in the past on my 26er I was able to blast through on the SL 2. The rear triangle also gives about 5mm because of the unique alloy tube design.

The SL 2 also performed very well on some downhill / freeride type trails at 7Springs Ski Resort in PA.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.