Online shopping

Tagged: 

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking at getting into more online shopping for my mountain bike stuff,just bought a new rear tire and then found it online for $10 cheaper.I almost think there should be a forum for online shopping here on singletracks.com to make it easier for the newbs and even the weathered experts to find the sweet deals.I guess I’m a terrible shopper but I want to know everyones online shopping holes they find the good deals with.

This is just my opinion (not trying to sound snooty or anything), but for only $10 cheaper, I’d recommend having your LBS order it if they don’t carry it in stock. After you throw in $5 minimum for shipping from whatever website you go to, you’re not really saving much…and I’m always in favor of supporting local business. Don’t get me wrong…I’ve ordered from Pricepoint and Blue Sky Cycling before. I’m just personally trying to make a change to support local/small business as much as I possibly can. Plus, these are the guys/gals that are fixing my bike for me, do the tune-ups, selling me the bike in the first place, etc. Guess I feel some sort of obligation to be loyal.

I agree with droc. Unless it is some unbelieveable dael its just as easy to go through the LBS. Those guys always take care of me and know me by name. Besides it is much easier to deal with local people if something is broken or messed up. I’m not saying that I never use online bike shops but I try to go to the LBS most of the time…

Totally agree, supporting your LBS is often the right thing to do but sometimes ordering online makes sense due to pricing or availability.

We do have an online "deals" section here on singletracks that includes the top deals from JensonUSA (updated monthly) PLUS the current deal from Chain Love (Backcountry’s one deal at a time site). The Chain Love deals rotate every couple hours so it pays to check back often. Singletracks gets a small commission for purchases made through the deals page.

Support your local bike shop but don’t forget to support your favorite mountain bike website when you get the chance ;)

Hafta agree with the rest of the guys on this one as well. Support for your LBS is a must and it’s helping small business. Coming from a former small business owner, I know how it feels to be outsourced by big business over a few measly bucks. BUT…. (and there’s a always a but) sometimes there are killer deals on jensonusa.com, ebay, and other internet sites that you just cant pass up. Just remember, when working on ebay only buy from people with more than 10 feedbacks as a seller and no less than %95 to %100 rating (thats my rule anyhow). Hope this helps. 😄

Yep,I’ve spent all my money so far at the LBS shops around town where I live,which includes one StunpJumper,a new rear DT Swiss wheel,NR lights,camel bak,shorts,pants,gloves,etc…etc…,so your right trek7k,time for a little internet shopping to round off the experience.hahahahaha.oh and to support singletracks.com,a really great mountain bike website where we can bike the net.hahaha.
      Almost forgot to mention that I’m on my second mountain bike now which I also bought from a local bike shop and has since been almost totally rebuilt with new parts which includes replacement of the frame and wheel set,brakes,shifters,handle bars,stem.The wheel set came from the LBS and the frame and brakes,shifters,handle bars,came from the internet which the bike mechanic that did the work for me on the side ordered off the internet.
      So I figure a little internet shopping might be good as long as it’s a really smoking deal that would make a difference in these times where 5 days of work has turned into 4 days of work while things are pretty slow for the time being.Although as I check prices on the internet for the remote seat post I’m looking for,there doesnt seem to be that great of price difference compared to the lbs pricing,so afterall I may very well end up going to the lbs to spend my money once again.
      I guess I’m torn between my loss of income at work and the fact that our lbs’s are probably slow as well and need the buissness.I guess these are just tough times and we all just need to do our best to keep each other going.

I’m with Mongoose here, both is what I do,

I love supporting my LBS cause it helps them out, keeps them in business, and in return they love me back getting me sweet deals since I’m in there so often.

On the other hand, sometimes I find things that are more than $10 off as steve stated. This is even after shipping, the only real downfall I can see is that if it’s a component, I will have to do put it on, or pay to have the LBS (sometimes 😼)

But I do think it would be kinda cool to add on to the online section. Not to discourage people from going to their LBS, but if they can save money, and use that money on something else bike related, it’s obviously better on their end.

my lbs guy is awesome matter of fact my bike was stolen and someone ditched it and some other local mtber found it knowing that thats the only place that sells sepcializeds around here they took it there by the time i got to the shop to pick it up he tuned for me lol guys just awesome

Definitely support your local bike shop. It would suck to have a mechanical failure with no place to fix it. My LBS is awesome and they give me good deals because I do lots of business with them. But I do occasionally shop online and when I do my favorites are JensonUSA, Pricepoint, & Greenfish Sports. I get 90% of my goodies from the LBS and 10% online.

I’m probably about 70%LBS, 30% online for parts. For full rigs, it’s 100% LBS.

For online, I almost always choose REI due to the free drop shipping to the local store, and the almost-no-questions return policy.

I was told be one of my LBS employes was to bring in the print out of online deals. They might be able to match it. I have done this a few times and tthey always gave me a deal.

Alright fellow moutain bikers,what would you do if you could save $100.00???The part I want is a seat dropper and the one I want at the LBS is gonna run me $325.00 which is the cheapest I’ve been able to find in town which is only $25 more than I can get from the company that makes it.I’ve left the name of the company out for now just because,but the other seat dropper I found ONLINE is $225.00 at pricepoint.
      The $325.00 seat dropper has 4 inches of travel and the $225 seat dropper has an inch less travel at 3 inches,so that basically amounts to $100.00 for one inch.I would rather have the 4 inches of travel,but were talking $100.00 of difference here and plus I have never used a seat dropper before so I dont know for sure how much travel I actually need or want.So if anyone has experience with a seat dropper and knows how much travel is enough,I’d appreciate the input.
      The $325.00 seat dropper I havent seen online.So basically I would like to know how many would support there LBS and how many would take the $100 savings.I myself like I said want the 4 inches of travel and to support the LBS before anything if I can.

I’ve been been making efforts for a while now to shop locally, not just my LBS, but for everything. It’s hard sometimes to make a purchase from your local merchant when you know you can get it online or from a big box store for less, and with the economy the way it is, it’s even more difficult. But with stores big and small closing, I think now more than ever we need to support our local economy. By the way, I just bought a new bike yesterday from my LBS. Just doing my part! 😃

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL [fill in the blank]!

Did you ask your LBS if they could get that model that you have seen online? Bring a print out of it when you ask. They tend to go out of their way if they know you and you have bought from them in the past. Than again saving $100 is worth ordering it online.

i’d love to support my LBS which is a one man show but in this tuff economy i cant afford to buy a bike from him when i can buy a very nice bike,helmet,other body protection gear and half of my rock climbing basics online for the same price he wants for just a bike. I can promise he’ll do all my work if he will unless he gets to mad that didnt buy a bike from him.(which wouldnt be good business practice) i guess i still get to contribute to the LBS

Well,I did it,I supported my LBS this weekend and bought the $325.00 seat dropper from specialized.It’s a fixed price from specialized so they couldnt price match anything which would have been nice being that the joplin even with the remote from pricpoint was $225.00.Whewww,If anyone is in the market for the joplin seat dropper with the remote,pricepoint still has it until the 20th. I believe.
      I also bought a bearing package for my stumpjumper at $80 so I spent quite a few bucks this weekend at my LBS.Thank god for tax returns,hahahaha.

"steve32300" wrote

I also bought a bearing package for my stumpjumper at $80 so I spent quite a few bucks this weekend at my LBS.Thank god for tax returns,hahahaha.

I second that!!! You said a mouthfull when you mentioned the tax returns. 😄

with the remote from pricpoint was $225.00.Whewww,If anyone is in the market for the joplin seat dropper with the remote,pricepoint still has it until the 20th. I believe.

Actually the joplin is available till the 30th. on pricepoint for $219.98.Smokin deal if you want a deal on one.

I’m so torn between which bike to buy? online deal with mixed reviews or a Jamis Durango 1 from my LBS and spend 225.00 more and not have any safety gear to wear while riding. I have a feeling my LBS is going to get my business. must help small business owner just hope its money well spent .

So far I have bought both of my new bikes at LBS’s. I’m a dunce at mechanicing so they will get most of the repair work too. Stuff like new tires and lights I have bought on line for bargains and convenience – usually on my porch in 2-4 days. Still like to support LBS’s as much as possible.

"Andrew_Gilbert" wrote

I’m so torn between which bike to buy? online deal with mixed reviews or a Jamis Durango 1 from my LBS and spend 225.00 more and not have any safety gear to wear while riding. I have a feeling my LBS is going to get my business. must help small business owner just hope its money well spent .

Lots of stores will offer some level of maintenance on your new bike, and some will also give a discount on equip. when purchasing a new bike from them.

The LBS i’m going to is a one man show with no inventory he is ordering the bike that i’m buying 1 day shipping from Jamis coming out of NJ he told me. he has none or almost no overhead and i think hes only been open for about a year but he knows his stuff. all that matters is i’ll have a great bike to get out on and i’m helping a small business man keep his head above water for another day.

The LBS i’m going to is a one man show with no inventory he is ordering the bike that i’m buying 1 day shipping from Jamis coming out of NJ he told me. he has none or almost no overhead and i think hes only been open for about a year but he knows his stuff. all that matters is i’ll have a great bike to get out on and i’m helping a small business man keep his head above water for another day.

Very cool dude,he must have some customers being that he is still open for buisness is this economy and only being open for a year,so thats a pretty cool story.When I bought my StumpJumper in 07 I also bought from my LBS right here in Arvada.I had to test ride all the bikes I was looking at,at other stores because they either didnt carry the bikes I was looking at or they didnt carry an asortment of sizes for me to test ride.My LBS has been open for like 30 years,so not a one man show like your LBS but it does pay to support you LBS.They even gave me a break on the price and I could have gotten them down a little further but I was buying from them because I wanted to support the smaller bike shop right where I live.
      The cool thing for me was that he has a motorcycle shop in the back of the bike shop where he likes to work on and deal vintage motorcycles.Anyway,my grandpa past away not too long after I bought my StumpJumper so we were going through old family pictures with my grandma and I found a picture I had always heard about but had never seen before.Its a picture of my great grandpa back in like 1913 when he raced flat track motorcycles for Excesselcier mototcycles.The cool thing here is the fact I was able to walk into that LBS after supporting them and the owner was more than pleased to help me learn more about that picture by taking the time to drag all the books out to try and place a year on that pic while at the same time got one of his motorcycle customeres involved with it that really was knowlegble about vintage motorcycle stuff.Made me feel pretty good about the whole deal.
      While I’m on the subject of family pics and riding,I also found a couple of other pics that made me feel pretty good too.I found one pic that was more off road bicycle related and pretty old too.It was a pic of my grandpa(10 to 13 yrs old,1923 or so.) with his old,and I’m talkin old,balloon tire bike he used to ride down whatever dirt pathes he had to to get to the local fishing holes.Made me really stop and think when I saw that picture and realize how long man has been using bicycles to get around off road.hahahaha.

"steve32300" wrote
      The cool thing for me was that he has a motorcycle shop in the back of the bike shop where he likes to work on and deal vintage motorcycles.Anyway,my grandpa past away not too long after I bought my StumpJumper so we were going through old family pictures with my grandma and I found a picture I had always heard about but had never seen before.Its a picture of my great grandpa back in like 1913 when he raced flat track motorcycles for Excesselcier mototcycles.The cool thing here is the fact I was able to walk into that LBS after supporting them and the owner was more than pleased to help me learn more about that picture by taking the time to drag all the books out to try and place a year on that pic while at the same time got one of his motorcycle customeres involved with it that really was knowlegble about vintage motorcycle stuff.Made me feel pretty good about the whole deal.
      While I’m on the subject of family pics and riding,I also found a couple of other pics that made me feel pretty good too.I found one pic that was more off road bicycle related and pretty old too.It was a pic of my grandpa(10 to 13 yrs old,1923 or so.) with his old,and I’m talkin old,balloon tire bike he used to ride down whatever dirt pathes he had to to get to the local fishing holes.Made me really stop and think when I saw that picture and realize how long man has been using bicycles to get around off road.hahahaha.

Cool story about your Grampa Steve. Brought back a memory about mine. He was stationed in France I think in WW1. The only time he got hurt in the war was in a bicycle wreck. I think he said he was chasing someone to give them a message or something like that and wiped out.

Cool story about your Grampa Steve. Brought back a memory about mine. He was stationed in France I think in WW1. The only time he got hurt in the war was in a bicycle wreck. I think he said he was chasing someone to give them a message or something like that and wiped out.

Really makes ya wonder what brand and model bike they were riding dont it??I dont have a clue what brand or model bike my grandpa was riding in that pic,just an old balloon tire bike.

thanks mongoose and steve i’m sure i will be very happy with the Jamis
      the guy gets a good bit of his business cause his kid races and he use to race so he has followers i think the best is he said he will order it on the 30th and he’ll have it May 1st for me to pick hows that for service. feels like christmas i wish i had it this weekend seeing PA weather is going to be awesome.

Your LBS is the way to go. They can answer all of your questions without spending hours surfing the internet for answers. Also, if you build a relationship with your LBS, they will usually give you discounts without you having to say anything. Plus, I like to drool at the actual bikes/gear at my LBS versus looking at pictures on the internet.

Your LBS is the way to go. They can answer all of your questions without spending hours surfing the internet for answers. Also, if you build a relationship with your LBS, they will usually give you discounts without you having to say anything. Plus, I like to drool at the actual bikes/gear at my LBS versus looking at pictures on the internet.

Yep,this past week I have really been using my LBS here in colorado,theres a place called WheatRidge cyclery and the place is amazing and has been around for like 30 years.I remember it from my childhood when it was just a very small bike store and these days it is worth it to just take a walk around inside because they do everything there,service,sales,bike fits,lounge area to watch videos,bikes galore,fitness classes,and they treat there customers just like they would treat the owner of the place himself.Really,and I mean Really makes ya feel like you belong.
      They have maintenance classes which I have attended a couple and are great,even learn somthing when its stuff I already have a grasp of.They also have a shock and fork rebuild prgram (along with anything else machanical) where (for a fee) you can go in the back with them and they will service your suspension while you learn how to do it to save the cost of labor the next time its time for suspension service.
      I’m telling you WRC(wheatridge cyclery)is doing everything they can to support there customer base in return.I realized alot by going to the maintenance class the other night and have a refreshed feeling about my bike.

"steve32300" wrote

Yep,this past week I have really been using my LBS here in colorado,theres a place called WheatRidge cyclery and the place is amazing and has been around for like 30 years.I remember it from my childhood when it was just a very small bike store and these days it is worth it to just take a walk around inside because they do everything there,service,sales,bike fits,lounge area to watch videos,bikes galore,fitness classes,and they treat there customers just like they would treat the owner of the place himself.Really,and I mean Really makes ya feel like you belong.
      They have maintenance classes which I have attended a couple and are great,even learn somthing when its stuff I already have a grasp of.They also have a shock and fork rebuild prgram (along with anything else machanical) where (for a fee) you can go in the back with them and they will service your suspension while you learn how to do it to save the cost of labor the next time its time for suspension service.
      I’m telling you WRC(wheatridge cyclery)is doing everything they can to support there customer base in return.I realized alot by going to the maintenance class the other night and have a refreshed feeling about my bike.

wish i had shop like that locally here in Pennsylvania where i’m at that sounds so cool its treatment like that you dont get from Corporate America and its destroying our great country. Next time you go in there give them a big CONGRATULATIONS from a Pennsylvanian who applaudes them for the way they run their business.

wish i had shop like that locally here in Pennsylvania where i’m at that sounds so cool its treatment like that you dont get from Corporate America and its destroying our great country. Next time you go in there give them a big CONGRATULATIONS from a Pennsylvanian who applaudes them for the way they run their business.

Will do dude,It’s an amazing shop and it’s the only one like it around here that I know of,not that there is’nt some nice shops around town,but this shop really has the right idea.I could go on and on because they do so much more than just what I posted,like sponseship of racers mtn and road,Demo days,today they had a demo day up at red rock ampitheter with yeti,specialized,pivot,trek,orbea,magura,fox suspension,and oakly but it was cancelled cause threat of rain so as to keep everyone off the muddy trails and still kept the demo day back at the shop as well as resceduleing demo day.They just dont quit.
      Heres a link if you want to check out there website.

[url:1va1pv5d]http://ridewrc.com/[/url:1va1pv5d]

Wheatridge Cyclery is owned by Ron Kiefel – fromer team 7-Eleven team member and teammate of Davis Phinney, Chris Carmichael, and Alex Stieda (to name a few).

Viewing 30 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.