Once again, another newbie

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hey all. Just wanted to introduce myself as a new MTBer in CT. I’ve decided to get into mountain biking as a weigh to keep in shape outside of winter (when I try to get a lot of skiing in). I checked out a local bike shop a few days ago and was recommended, based on budget and being new to the sport, a Giant Yukon (Hardtail). The price was around $550 for all the standard parts and such ([url:vrwuphn7]http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/2279/32121/[/url:vrwuphn7]).

I know that I’ll have to upgrade a few of the parts and such, as by reading other posts, considering not all these entry level bikes will have the best components. I’m trying to keep a budget of $700-$800.

If possible, any information on whether or not you feel the Giant Yukon is a respectable bike for the price (and some upgrades) or any other advice on purchasing my first bike.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

May I be the first to welcome you to singletracks. I hope you will enjoy it here and please feel free to ask any questions that you need. I am sure the folks here will be more than happy to help.

Cheers

"eastcoastskiier" wrote

Hey all. Just wanted to introduce myself as a new MTBer in CT. I’ve decided to get into mountain biking as a weigh to keep in shape outside of winter (when I try to get a lot of skiing in). I checked out a local bike shop a few days ago and was recommended, based on budget and being new to the sport, a Giant Yukon (Hardtail). The price was around $550 for all the standard parts and such ([url:1u0j4kbs]http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/2279/32121/[/url:1u0j4kbs]).

I know that I’ll have to upgrade a few of the parts and such, as by reading other posts, considering not all these entry level bikes will have the best components. I’m trying to keep a budget of $700-$800.

If possible, any information on whether or not you feel the Giant Yukon is a respectable bike for the price (and some upgrades) or any other advice on purchasing my first bike.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Welcome EastCoastSkiier to the forum. Giant makes good value bikes. I had a Giant AC and rode it half to death, rebuilt it and now my nephew rides it all the time. I think the AC was the predecessor to the Yukon FS. Others on here who know more about components than me may have some other suggestions on good deals out there. You should be able to get a good quality bike in that price range. I like that downhill skiing too….

Welcome eastcoastskiier-

After looking at the specs for the Yukon, I think it’s a pretty good deal at $550…especially if it’s a 2009 like you have in the link. At first when you mentioned trying to stick around 700-800, I was going to recommend a GF Marlin, which is what I ride. I bought it for around 750 & later put BB7 disc brakes on it. I don’t know what type of terrain you plan on riding, but I don’t think there’s anything on the Yukon that you’d HAVE to upgrade right away (besides maybe the pedals). Good luck!

Hey congrats man and welcome. Im sure you will be happy with your bike, I also recently bought a new Giant and i cant complain. Enjoy it 😎

Well if there are no major issues from any members on this entry level bike, I think I’ll go ahead and open up my wallet to buy it from the local bike shop. Might as well offer cash instead of my credit card to help them save a few percentages of the sale.

Any good recommendations for a bike rack to fit on the top or trunk of a 2006 tdi jetta?

"eastcoastskiier" wrote

Well if there are no major issues from any members on this entry level bike, I think I’ll go ahead and open up my wallet to buy it from the local bike shop. Might as well offer cash instead of my credit card to help them save a few percentages of the sale.

Any good recommendations for a bike rack to fit on the top or trunk of a 2006 tdi jetta?

Hey just an idea. But from the price range you are willing to spend i have seen in a few places closeouts on the Yukon FX Full Suspension bike i have for about $720. I dont remember where i saw it but if i were you id say what the hell. Like i posted before on another thread. Its always possible to come up with that extra 1-200 bucks.

"eastcoastskiier" wrote

The Yakima King Joe is a pretty decent trunk rack. The supports for the bikes prevent frame scratches quite well and hold securely.

I don’t care for the Little Joe model where the bike tubes rest directly on the support bars.

Yo eastcoast. Welcome aboard. I’m just getting back into it, but from the years that I trained for freestyle, there was hardly any better way to train than taking to trails on the mtb. Good luck with the bike.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.