“on your left” is now dangerous

Forums Mountain Bike Forum “on your left” is now dangerous

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hmmmm, interesting, tragic, and sad. Also somewhat comical that the men involved are older “gentlemen”  well beyond the hot-headed years of their youth.

FWIW I always stop for hikers (technical sections of trail or not) and have always been greeted with smiles.

That story has to make us wonder what might have been the outcome had the cyclist been licensed to conceal/carry. Think carefully about this. Every day, Chicago has knifings and shootings side by side.       With the current state of the Onion, narcissism is a required subject.

Now, with the case in the first post, how many people have the discovery file in hand to study? Over on MTBR, there are many armchair judges, juries and executioners that are spouting off without the kind of due process necessary to opine, so I for one shall refrain and let law enforcement and the courts have their opportunity to complete their respective duties.

All in all, this type of story does make some of us ponder the “what if”.

That story has to make us wonder what might have been the outcome had the cyclist been licensed to conceal/carry. Think carefully about this.

Interesting. And “what if” the other hikers also had licenses to conceal and carry? Then we’d have a real-life John Wick 4……or Keystone Cops.

Either scenario would be sub-optimal.

It will be interesting to hear more about this forest melee.

Robert Dobbs

Interesting. And “what if” the other hikers also had licenses to conceal and carry? Then we’d have a real-life John Wick 4……or Keystone Cops.

Either scenario would be sub-optimal.

It will be interesting to hear more about this forest melee.

Not one of the possible scenarios can be a plus for our community. There are a number of folks that do conceal/carry regardless of knife or firearm… Chicago leads the pack on the streets in both departments, sadly… Now this crap moves to trails and it might get worse long before it gets better.

Disappointing, indeed!

As I stated in my previous post, will keep watch on the outcome of this situation and have no opinion until all facts are disclosed. Will we see the truth in this matter, not likely since there are two people that might not be honorable.

From the article though, it sounds like the cyclist did not yield to the hikers because they needed to “trying to negotiate an area that had exposed tree roots and was clipped into his bike.”

Always be the bigger person and be prepared to yield right of way, that keeps people happy and trails open.  Oh and from getting stabbed and/or shot 😀

Agreed the.bler. I don’t know how many times I pull over for mtbers coming downhill, and they don’t say thank you when I actually have the right of way going uphill. I don’t want to ruin their fun so I pull over. They should at least acknowledge my courtesy, which is above and beyond the normal trail courtesy, with the common courtesy of a thank you. We need to do better as a biking community.

I just about always say thanks when going downhill, and someone pulls over going up.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.