Old wrist injuries coming back to haunt me

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

For years I rode enduro motorcycles and rode mtb for aerobic training. Both wrists have been broken from high speed brushes with single track trails. I’m now 57 and have mostly been riding on wide open trails in Florida with a high premium on aerobic but not so much on handling. Coming back to Ohio the riding style is completely different with extremely narrow single track, switchbacks, severe changes in elevation. After about 2 months of riding Ohio trails the old wrist injuries are popping up. I tape my wrists, wear gloves that wrap tightly around the wrists and the pain gets to me after an hour of riding. On an enduro bike you can wear braces but on a mtb bike a rider needs more movement. I wish I could look forward to trying some extreme trails but I don’t think I can risk a wrist plant. Thanks for listening/reading.

They do have wrist braces for MTB’ing. Besides that, not much else you can do besides not ride at all or just ride either a commuter or road bike or a stationary bike. 😉

The wrist braces are pretty comfortable and I have used them before. My son had to wear one for a month after fracturing his wrist, and within a few days he was good with it. He was shredding the FR features, DJ’s, and urban FR as well with the brace on. Rigid and suspension.

As a rider who works in a body shop with sanders and wrenches all day and had carpal surgery at 17 😏 , I have pain a lot too. By taping, do you mean immobilizing tape or compression? The best countermeasure I’ve used is a single band of duct tape(or other practical tape) around the bone part of the wrist with a minor tension. Not enough to make a constriction of blood flow but enough to know it’s there. It will not impede your bending ability but has a pain reduction value that works well for me.

Take a look at Ergon grips. They helped me when I returned to riding after breaking my wrist.

I’ve also found that the Jones loop bars help with comfort.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.