old guy new to riding

Forums Mountain Bike Forum old guy new to riding

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

hey all , old guy new to mtn biking.just traded my trek madone 4.5 roadie for a titus racer x fs. any ideas on how to train for the trails would be greatly appreciated. also any one who rides in central ny who would like to hook up for a ride and help teach an old dog some new tricks that would be great to . happy trails 😼

Welcome to the Old Guy Club! Welcome to the Dirt.

I ride a Roady AND Dirty, They are similar fitness below the waist but you will find your upperbody gets more work off road.

Train your Core, train your core train your core. Then train your core some more. After that its technique and just getting comfortable and confident on your rig. Your Mountain rig will fit you different than your road rig did, and you will control it differently. Typically you don’t move around as much on a road bike. On your Mtb you use your weight to keep the rubber side down. (Thus the full body workout)

Read through some of the foums and the sticky’s up top. There is tons of experience and VERY useful information on here.

Welcoem to Singletracks,

"bigguarddaddy" wrote

hey all , old guy new to mtn biking.just traded my trek madone 4.5 roadie for a titus racer x fs. any ideas on how to train for the trails would be greatly appreciated. also any one who rides in central ny who would like to hook up for a ride and help teach an old dog some new tricks that would be great to . happy trails 😼

Welcome to the formum bigguarddaddy and welcome to the dirt. Quite a few of us old dogs around here. 😆 Funny, the best riders in my area ride both road and MTB. Those guys smoke me on the longer climbs. I’m hoping to get a road bike by spring to mix it up some and help with my endurance. On MTB, the short steeps might be a little steeper than you are used to and the number of miles you ride will be a lot less (but harder). You should do fine though. Hope you have as much fun as I have. 😃

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="bigguarddaddy":318uwbhm]hey all , old guy new to mtn biking.just traded my trek madone 4.5 roadie for a titus racer x fs. any ideas on how to train for the trails would be greatly appreciated. also any one who rides in central ny who would like to hook up for a ride and help teach an old dog some new tricks that would be great to . happy trails 😼

Welcome to the formum bigguarddaddy and welcome to the dirt. Quite a few of us old dogs around here. 😆 Funny, the best riders in my area ride both road and MTB. Those guys smoke me on the longer climbs. I’m hoping to get a road bike by spring to mix it up some and help with my endurance. On MTB, the short steeps might be a little steeper than you are used to and the number of miles you ride will be a lot less (but harder). You should do fine though. Hope you have as much fun as I have. 😃[/quote:318uwbhm]

"CCR" (pun intended 😏 ) said it right…

I have said this before but…. I find that the two sports compliment eachother VERY well. The road riding helps train you to KEEP PEDELING and the Mountain Biking gives you strenght in your core more so than the road riding. I ride about 60% road and 40% Mtn. When I started mtn. biking my climbing ability on the road went up significantly on the steeper climbs.

Pedel hard my Friend

Thanks for the welcome and advice gents I have been back in the sadle on a road bike for a couple of years now . Did it to shed weight and lost almost 100 lbs. Loved my trek madone but had previously ridden mountain bokes and motorcycles in my younger days. Guess when I had gotten into a little better shape I wanted the rush of riding trails and whipping down hills around trees and such. When I got the chance to trade my trek for a titus racer x fs I jumped on it. I am really looking forward to some trail time !! Theres still some fire in this old dog!! 😃

"bigguarddaddy" wrote

Theres still some fire in this old dog!! 😃

Hey us old dogs can still hammer the singletrack and technical stuff very well. I ride with several even old than I (I didn’t think that possible) and they can in some cases put me to shame. Though we still have great times together. The best instruction you could find is the way I did it. Started riding with someone who had awesome skills and listened to their advise. Following someone with good skills is a great way to learn. However, like anything, you may take a few spills to learn those skills. However, it’s all good.

Get out and ride !!!!

Welcome to the sport and to Singletracks

ODN

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.