Old Guy, New Member

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings, everyone! I’ve owned a mountain bike (Giant Acapulco) since 1994. I used it to get around in Japan while stationed there, but never really did any true mountain biking with it until 2014, when I started riding on trails around my house.  During the last residency of my masters program this summer (2015), I took the bike out on the trails at Hartman Rocks in Gunnison, CO and fell in love with the adrenaline rush of riding trails, at least as much as I could on a fully rigid MTB (accidentally did a double black diamond…oops). When I got back to the Springs, I started hitting Palmer Park and Cheyenne Mountain State Park, beating up as many of the technical trails as I could without breaking my neck.

I’d been having trouble with tremors and stiffness for months, but when I rode, they all went away. No tremors, not balance issues, no stiffness–just me and my old, archaic bike beating up the trails.

Turns out I have young onset Parkinson’s, so my time riding might be limited, but my wife just bought me a Specialized Pitch Comp for Christmas, and I plan to hit as many trails as I can in whatever time I have left in t he saddle. Riding (and martial arts) are how I fight back against this damned disease, how I keep my body working even if my brain isn’t so much. I’m no daredevil, but at least on this bike I can handle the harder stuff a little better. What I do know is that every minute on the bike is a minute I’m not worrying about this illness, so I’ll do as much as I can. When the snow melts, of course. 🙂

Maybe I’ll see some of you out on the local trails!

Welcome Chris, sounds like you’re bringing a great attitude to mountain biking! I guess none of us really know how much time we have left in the saddle so we gotta ride every chance–and everywhere–we can!

Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, knowing your time at something you love is limited makes you value it even more. Looks like it’ll be 55 degrees this Saturday, so I suspect I’ll be out getting the new toy muddy.

Welcome!  And one thing about a problem like that is you really make the most of the rides when you can!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.