Nursing Injuries / Bone Contusion

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

So whilst out on my favorite trail I took a big gap drop going way too fast, cleared the landing transition so I basically flew about 12 feet to the ground smashing my shoulder and knocking the wind out of me (scarier than the shoulder injury)

I tried to deal with the pain all this past week (injury happened sunday), but it was too much and I wasn’t getting very much sleep. Went to the dr. and I have a very bad bone contusion with lots of fluid. I guess its a fancy way to say bone bruise but bruising is usually due to blood, this is due to my bone being damaged and shedding its exterior fibrous membrane, which my body is breaking down creating this stagnant fluid that is sitting in my shoulder. Dr. said it could take UP TO 3 MONTHS TO HEAL!!!!

The pain sucks. I’ve gotten surfboard fins stabbed through my hand mangling tendons, amongst other injuries, and I can unequivocally say that the pain in my shoulder is much worse. My arm isnt even damaged and the thing just throbs non stop.

Anybody got any ideas or recommendations or healing methods? I’m up for anything that can maybe shave a few weeks off of the 3 MONTH diagnosis. Anybody else have any experience with bone contusions?

Yesterday i went face first after doing some DH and then hitting the jump "rock" at the very end. so i went and sucked a few beers down in the hot tub.. awesome. i think it worked.

Well.. Having broken both my Clavicles on seperate occasions. I can say the fastest way to heal is rest. Good food. Suppliment it with 1000mg of vitamin D as well as 1000mg Calcium daily.

Do not try and work that area and lots of rest.

If there is too much pain try and ice it. Take care not to take products that contain Codine..It is addictive as well as makes going to the bathroom difficult.

Get well soon..

thanks for the advice. the beers helped directly after , but provided no long term therapeutic relief, lol.

im @ 1 & 1/2 weeks and it still hurts, but since getting on the anti inflammatories it feels much better. i feel my arm/shoulder is at about 33%. Im actually keeping my fingers crossed to be back on the trail this coming sunday for a casual ride, no stunts. Dr. said in this case I want to move it as much as I can but try to be easy, as if the fluid sits it can harden and give me "shoulder freeze".

I feel like crap for not doing anything for the past week & 1/2. I hate sitting around and not being productive.

yeah, thats sounds like it sucks kinda bad. but now you have lots of time to break down your bike and see whats going on and if anything needs alittle fixin, if you havnt already. thats the only plus side of thins i can see other than you feeling better.

got on the bike tonight for a 3 mile ride with the wife and son. i can ride fine but it hurts to pull on the bars even slightly, which really sucks since its my right shoulder and im right handed. I couldnt even do a bunny hop. I might sit out another week to let things heal a little better. man this really sucks.

3 weeks in and im still not riding aggressively at all. 😢 . Went for a nice ride this weekend with the wife, I could pull off some endo’s, which was a good sign, but I still cant pull on the bars at all without the pain. Im hoping that I’m about 1/2 way there.. 😢

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="sevendaysoff":206o3t5z]I could pull off some endo’s, which was a good sign

Why is that a good sign, that can be painful bro! 😮 Nothing nice about going over the bars at all, but if you are talking about stoppies, then that is a whole different world now, but can lead to endo’s though. Anyways, good to hear you are recuperating well.[/quote:206o3t5z]
      ive always thought endo’s were like stoppies but instead you travel at least 20 feet on your front wheel before you come to a stop, also i thought if you endoed then you went over the bars but if your doing endo’s then your doing very long stoppies.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

First my friend, stoppies are actually when you come to a complete stop on your front wheel only and hold the rear end in the air for as long as you can. The word stoppie you are talking about is a manual in reverse bro. A front and rear manual. The word "endo" is just short for….."flying over the bars."

Many urban assault riders do front and rear wheel manuals, and is very common with trials riders. 😃

what im talking about is when you do a front wheel manual and then come to a complete stop and hold the rear wheel up in the air as long as you can, i have buddies that ride sport bikes and they call that stunt a endo but when they do it where they just come to a stop and not ride a manual into it they call it a stoppie, and when they screw it up and go over the bars they say they endoed. maybe the vocab is different for the two sports but thats what i grew up hearing for the name of the stunts.

i hear what your saying Chili, your right that alot of names have changed from thier original meaning but that is how it is with any kind of language.

whowouldathought my bad vocabulary would spark such debate. lol. no i was not going over any bars, just doing some really high and long "stoppies" i suppose.

shoulder feels a little better this AM. might try to get a ride in tonight after class.

i wasnt trying to start a debate either and apoligize for the slight thread highjack, i was just posting that i always thought endo’s where nose manuals with a stoppie at the end, but i guess my definition is off from what a endo really is. 😃

hey guys i was just joking! damn text thing, not coming with any emotion indicators… $%#@ what were they thinking? lol. No its all good, ChiliPepper has been schooling me since day #1 with these bikes so im used to it.

hope to be back at it soon!

just locked in 2 MTB road trips for the next 2 months with the hopes that ‘if i plan it, it will heal’

Santos July 10th & Hannah Park & Westside Regional Park the weekend of June 25th.

keep your fingers crossed for me!

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.