NPS Rule Change 36 CFR 4.30

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hey gang, another question for you all;
      Im trying to find a little new info on the proposed NPS Rule Change 36 CFR 4.30 about MTB within the National Parks. Ive done a Bing search, a Google and even searched the archives here and found nothing new. Or anything to tell me if this passed or not.
      Has this decision already been made?
      Or is it still up for discussion?
      Here is a link to the IMBA video on the subject-
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzXxZgq7FP0&fmt=18

HERE is the current (effective) copy of 36 CFR 4.30. Most recent updates are from 01Jul09. It would appear that no additional revisions will be published until Jul10.

I work in the biologics industry, and all of our regulations (21 CFR) are only updated every April (though FDA can provide guidance for industry in between pubishings, but none of the guidances become law until the April revisions).

Thank you very much. Ill be watching next spring.
      So really nothing has changed just yet. I am a very big proponent of our National Parks and visit several of them a year. As much as we hear ’there is no mountain biking allowed in the NP’ I find there is usually some riding permitted in just about all of them I visit. Whether its some forest service roads, paved bike paths of even some singletrack open I have always been glad that I have a bike with me.
      Im anxious to see where this issue goes, as much as I love riding I don’t think I want to see the parks opened completely to MTB. There is a lot of that wilderness area that should remain just that. I would however very much like to see some of the more readily accessible areas open to bikers though, it only makes sense with all the benefits of having another self supporting user group in there.

"AK_Dan" wrote

So really nothing has changed just yet. I am a very big proponent of our National Parks and visit several of them a year. As much as we hear ’there is no mountain biking allowed in the NP’ I find there is usually some riding permitted in just about all of them I visit. Whether its some forest service roads, paved bike paths of even some singletrack open I have always been glad that I have a bike with me.
      Im anxious to see where this issue goes, as much as I love riding I don’t think I want to see the parks opened completely to MTB. There is a lot of that wilderness area that should remain just that. I would however very much like to see some of the more readily accessible areas open to bikers though, it only makes sense with all the benefits of having another self supporting user group in there.

From what I understand, this bill is just for National Park land. As far as wilderness goes, we are steadily losing ground (see recent issues of Bike mag).

If we’re losing ground on one front, and gaining on another, I guess it will even itself out, right? So I’d say it’s a pretty good thing.

"AK_Dan" wrote

I agree AK_Dan. I don’t see new MTB trails weaving through Mt Rushmore or Old Faithful. However, the Park Service has tons of land that is not biologically sensitive or anything like that. Those areas would be perfect for mountain bike access. Biking would be a great way to tour some of the battlefield parks too. Course the NPS would have to get on board and I’m not convinced that they are ready to embrace us just yet. As long as the door is open and its legal though it could happen in the future.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.