Nother newb

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Just signed up here not too long ago and about to buy my first bike thanks to my girlfriend getting me interested. I’m an ex bmx’er but haven’t ridden in about 8 years. I cant wait to get on the trails and learn everything about this sport. I’ve got a looooot to learn apparently. Haha.

Welcome aboard man! It’s a great sport… you’ll love it!

Way cool that your girlfriend is getting you into the sport. Usually it’s the other way around, you’re lucky 😉

Yes, really lucky. I wish I could get my wife to go anywhere with me other than shopping. Welcome to the "club".

Welcome mwillis87 and welcome to the fun sport of MTB’ing! 😄

I guess I can say that I am another lucky man to have my wife ride with me, though she is the passive rider, she still rides with us, and then watches us shred all the real technical dirt or street stuff. I firmly believe in family activities together, especially when it comes to outdoor activities. 😉

Thanks for the welcome y’all. She really just wants to get my unhealthy smoking self backin shape. Haha I’m in the process of quitting so I can start riding again like I used to.

"mwillis87" wrote

Thanks for the welcome y’all. She really just wants to get my unhealthy smoking self backin shape. Haha I’m in the process of quitting so I can start riding again like I used to.

Well, while getting on the healthier side, look at all the quality time you two will be spending with each other, and if you have kids, then they are learning it as well. One thing turns into another great thing, and in the long run, it is all good for the soul. 😉

On-On brother!

Thanks man I hadn’t thought of it like that to be honest. No kids but the quality time sounds great. I’m looking to get an entry level Raleigh 29er. Any thoughts on the brand? I’m working on a nursing school budget and it’s in my price range.

^^^^ I wish I could give you some sound feedback on that specific Raleigh, but I am not too familiar with Raleigh’s rep or quality these days. In my time, it used to be the best bike on the block. I did read some good feedback on it though, and I I have never heard in negative feedback from anyone that has one. I would say this, with your budget, and I fully understand that, roll with what you like, especially if you like it (price wise is consideration as well), and if a 29’er is what you want to roll with…. Then heck yeah! I do not prefer the 29’ers, but that’s just my personal preference due to my riding discipline, but for XC or fast rolling trail riding, those 29’ers are the ticket.

Good luck with your new found adventure and new found relationship you will now be having with your wife spending quality time together. Both will build a solid foundation and many fond memories. Literally!… 😆

"mwillis87" wrote

Thanks man I hadn’t thought of it like that to be honest. No kids but the quality time sounds great. I’m looking to get an entry level Raleigh 29er. Any thoughts on the brand? I’m working on a nursing school budget and it’s in my price range.

Don’t have any personal experience but have read some very Positve reviews of the Raleigh 29ers in dirt rag. I say go for it!

thanks for all the feedback yall. im really looking forward to getting into this. im a big picture taker from my other hobby which is custom trucks so as soon as i get my bike i will post up some pics.

Welcome to a great sport! My wife and kids got me a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 last March after listening to me moan and groan about not having a bike. My Trek 4300 was stolen while I was stationed in Korea and with a child in college and one about to go, I couldn’t justify getting back into MTB. So the family got me the Rockhopper for my birthday and it’s been off to the races. Great being back in the saddle again. Now 2 of my 3 kids are into MTB, 17yo son rides same thing I’m on, he traded up from a Trek6000. 13yo daughter rides a Trek Skye and loves it. She is still learning the ropes and technics but we have fun on the weekends when I’m home with the family. Can’t wait for spring and plenty of daylight to return so I can get back on the trails. Not as fast or aggressive as I was 10 years ago, but still having fun and it’s great having the kids on the trail with me. Enjoy the sport!

Welcome from one newb to another. I got into this after trying some trail riding on an old touring frame and realized that 1.This trail riding is a BLAST!! and 2.Riding them on an old touring frame with 700×32 tires ain’t gonna cut it, not to mention the downtube shifters.
      So I went and bought a Scott Aspect 29 Tour as a present to myself for 5 years of being tobacco free. See what you can get yourself for a reward 😀 And you can go farther faster and still come back after a trip feeling goooood!

Loving the Scott, nice ride for not a whole lot of $$$ and I have heard great reviews on the Raleighs.
      Go get it and ride it like you stole it!

i havent checked this thread in a little bit but ive been on 2 trail rides and i have loved every last minute of it. it kicks my ass the entire time but it feels great to ride with my girl and do something productive. the best part about the whole thing for me, with my roots being in BMX, is hauling ass downhill and getting a good flow going while getting some decent air time. i plan to ride as much as school and work allow and i cant wait to get better and better at this sport.

man, that’s awesome and it sounds like my progression into the hobby. I’m still addicted to getting out and peddling my ass off so I can enjoy the smooth and flowy portions of the ride.

Keep us updated!

I had one of the Raliegh 29ers. It was a stolid ride even though it was a little weighty. Make sure you pick up a extra rear derailier hanger as these tend to break on them and have been an issue. Don’t let that scare you away it is a comfortable ride. I had the XXXI-G smooth and solid even raced it in a forty mile race.

That reminds me. Need spare d-hanger for the new bike. Check.

Welcome aboard everyone!

i actually went a different route and got a raleigh talus 5.0. i wanted to stay as true to my BMX roots as i could without losing the mountain bike feel. it makes sense to me. haha i love the bike though and love trail riding. downhill is waaaaaaay too much fun. lol

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.