No beer to be served at the Olympic MTB races

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

The
      spectre of rain still looms over the London Games, but one venue is to which,
      spectators might not be too happy to learn, will remain dry
      throughout.

Hadleigh Farm in Essex, where the mountain biking competition will take place, is the only one of 46 Olympic venues that will not be serving alcohol.

The site is owned by the Salvation Army, who only agreed to allow the Olympics to be staged there on the condition that booze be kept off the menu.

The events takes place on the final weekend of the games, with 40,000 spectators attending over the two days.. Tickets for the event, which is open access, in that there are no fixed seating positions, are completely sold out.

That it is to be the only Olympic event where spectators will not be able to have an alcoholic drink has not been communicated to ticket holders. As with all Olympic venues, spectators cannot bring alcohol with them. “It’s a bit of a shame,” said Paul Douglas, from Leigh-on-Sea, in Essex, who bought four tickets to the event, and is attending with his friends. “We’d been looking forward to a few beers in the sunshine. We had no idea. You see all these stories about it being seven quid a pint and all that, I guess we just thought there’d be a bar there.”

Read more here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho … 66129.html

The ONLY venue that won’t be serving beer?? Wow, that is pretty unfortunate for the beer vendors, and mountain bike enthusiasts alike, to say the least. You think they’d seriously be able to cash in on the mountain bike crowd. How many die-hard hurdle fans do you think will want a Heineken (who has "sole pouring rights" to the games), and how many mountain bikers do you think will want a Heineken? Just saying…

That’s like… like…I don’t even have a analogy. That just sucks.

Well, I’ll have one on the couch when watching the Sunday races!

"Fitch" wrote

That’s like… like…I don’t even have a analogy. That just sucks.

Well, I’ll have one on the couch when watching the Sunday races!

A baseball game without hotdogs (or beer.)
      A football game without wings (or beer.)
      A crossfit comp without health food (and beer.)

Ok, maybe the last one doesn’t quite work, but you get the picture 😆

That is weird that it’s the only venue without alcohol. It’s even stranger they’re not really telling people about it. They’re going to have a bunch of pissed off fans come this weekend.

There WILL be beer served @ Fat Billy’s couch while watching MTB races on DVR!!!! Don’t need to spend thousands on an airfare to be told I can’t have warm beer in England. This sorta explains the issue that happened in 1776! No beer will not work. 😄 Later,

I wish fat billy was my dad.

I wish he was my neighbor! I bet he always offers a friendly beer.

That does it. I’m not going. Then again, I’ve had Heineken so it’s no big loss. Ahhh, who am I kidding? If that’s all they had, that’s what I’d be drinking. I’ll see everyone at Fat Billy’s couch.

how about fat billy for president? president obama never, fat billy forever!! hip hip hooray! see ya all at fat billy’s.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.