newbie needs help deciding!

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

PMC

I’m sure you guys are sick of the "what should I buy" threads but I need some help! I’m a former BMXer looking to jump into MTBing and at the rate I’m going I won’t be riding anything!

I went to several LBS and had thought I decided on the new 2010 Specialized Hardrock ($580) until I went to another shop and they had a Giant XTC 2 2008 model on sale for $699. It was noticeably lighter and I liked the Rock Shox much better than what they had on the Hardrock. The
      Specialized salesman steered me towards the Hardrock over the Rockhopper but I’m thinking I should go back and take a look at the Rockhopper as it’s more comparable to the XTC 2.

I need a little help here. Is the Giant XTC2 worth the extra $120 over the Hardrock? I rode both bikes and they rode differently but didn’t really have a major preference of one over the other. I like the XC style bikes as I’ll be riding a mix of pavement, hardpack and single track – hopefully get into a few local races in the future.

I started out on a Rockhopper and it’s a great bike. I still ride it as my commuter.

Chilipepper, you’re more right than you know, the Hardrock frame is probably made my Giant! 😉
      http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

Seriously though, before deciding go back and try the Rockhopper, it’s a more apples to apples comparison to the XTC, then decide on which one rides better for you.

Mechanically and quality-wise, either would be a great choice for an entry level mountain hardtail to get started on.

Disclaimer, I currently own a Specialized and a Giant, and I love them both!

Well, the Giant is so solid I have had no need to talk to them yet. We have a couple LBS’s here that are Giant dealers and very decent to work with in general.

One of them is also a Specialized dealer, and a couple blocks from my work. 😃

As for Customer Service stories, I encountered a guy in Moab this past spring who had broken his Gary Fisher frame on Slickrock Trail. Gary Fisher and Chili Pepper bike shop both bent over backwards to help him out.

http://chilebikes.com/

It’s my favorite shop in Moab.

PMC

I finally made my decision and got my bike yesterday!

It ended up being between the Rockhopper Comp Disc, Giant XTC2 and Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc. It was extremely hard to decide as I liked aspects of each bike, but ended up with………..drumroll please…………’09 Rockhopper Comp Disc!

I really had a difficult time deciding so I hope I made the right decision! My LBS ran a clearance on the ’09 Specialized bikes so I got it for $175 off the MSRP.

PMC
      "ChiliPepper" wrote

Congratulations PMC on your choice of MTB! You will not be dissatisfied with the Hardrock and it will serve you well. We wish you the very best riding brother!

Keep it real and ride hard! 😃

Ooops, had to make a correction
      I bought a Rockhopper Comp Disc – not the Hardrock.
      I’ve looked at way too many bikes the last week 😕

PMC, Congrats on your new purchase. Specialized does make a good bike even though it’s probably made by Giant. I’m a Fisher man myself. Their new G2 geometry frames handle so well. But honestly they are all solid bikes with lifetime frame warranties which you can’t go wrong there.

Enjoy it!

"maddslacker" wrote

I started out on a Rockhopper and it’s a great bike. I still ride it as my commuter.

Chilipepper, you’re more right than you know, the Hardrock frame is probably made my Giant! 😉
      http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

Seriously though, before deciding go back and try the Rockhopper, it’s a more apples to apples comparison to the XTC, then decide on which one rides better for you.

Mechanically and quality-wise, either would be a great choice for an entry level mountain hardtail to get started on.

Disclaimer, I currently own a Specialized and a Giant, and I love them both!

Congrats on the purchase PMC. I don’t think you will regret it. Although i ride a Santa Cruz now, I started on a Giant and also own a Specialized Hardrock now as a backup bike. My nephew is still riding my old Giant regularly. Really have no major complaints on any of them.

Looking at the list Chilipepper had on frame warranties, looks like I am almost out on my Blur. Sorry Chilipepper, guess I’ll not follow you down those Freeride trails on my SC hehehehe. My Santa Cruz has to last at least a few more years.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.