Newb here

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Morning folks. I’ve been reading the last 5 days days trying to gain some knowledge. It’s been about 16 years since I’ve seriously ridden any bike but I really want to get back into it, from an MTB perspective, I’ll ride a little on the street/easy path stuff with the wife, but I prefer woods, rocks although my body isn’t as young as it used to be.

So a few days ago I went around to several LBS’s and test drove a few bikes. It was fun. Man technology can be great compared to my old Target Pacific weak stick wheel holder.

I tested out a Diamondback Response Comp which was nice for the price, it fit well and seemed comfortable overall, ok components. I also tested two 29ers there, different feel, but still pretty nice. My next stop I tested out a Trek Fisher Mamba, a little better components, fit well and was nice for about $75-100 more than the DB. I tested another Giant, but it was a lesser expensive model and the components (Fork)sucked so the ride didn’t feel as smooth – they were waiting for shipment of the Revel 1 and 0’s in a few weeks.

I drove to the next city to see what the LBS had there, again waiting for shipments to come in in a few weeks, and then I noticed a new old stock 2008 Gary Fisher RIG- Rootbeer. Honestly the Fox fork caught my eye first. The frame fit me perfectly, the G2 geometry felt great, and the 29" wheels felt right, so I asked to take it for a spin. Hey where are the controls? LOL SS bike, but very cool. To be honest this bike is haunting me, although a little more than I wanted to spend, but it felt right. Good frame and components and I figure I might end up doing a little pushing on some climbs until I get my legs and endurance built back up, but I thought the old school SS drive train was cool and smooth. I could always throw money at it later if I wuss out and get a new drivetrain, and rear wheel and be a shifter.

Any input on the Fisher SS Rig ?

No experience with a SS here but I’m a fan of the 29ers. They truly do role well and can get over obstacles with more ease than a 26er (at least in my riding comparisons), although I think you sacrifice a little weight and have to corner a little differently. A lot of people will reply with "it depends on what you want to do with it", which is VERY true, but it sounds like you’re into something that’s an all around sort of bike. Again, I’m a big fan of the 29er.

Kentucky Roush 😎

I also have no experience with an SS. But ride a 29er.
      I have the Gary Fisher Trek Mamba and absolutely love it!

Be careful, once you ride SS no geared bike will ever satisfy you. . . if you go singlespeed you can never go back! I speak as a recent convert.

Welcome to the fray! My bike is a SS because I only ride one gear at a time. Just commenting. 😄 Later,

"jahwarrior" wrote

I also have no experience with an SS. But ride a 29er.
      I have the Gary Fisher Trek Mamba and absolutely love it!

I agree the Mamba is a nice bike.

"rubiksnoob" wrote

Be careful, once you ride SS no geared bike will ever satisfy you. . . if you go singlespeed you can never go back! I speak as a recent convert.

That’s what surprised me, I really liked the simplicity of it.

"rubiksnoob" wrote

Amen!!

I’m another big fan of big wheeled simple bikes. Less to think about, less to break, less to maintain, cheaper to replace parts, and silent on the trail. Less is more!

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="rubiksnoob":wub51npf]Less is more!

[/quote:wub51npf]
      You should also dump those candy’s and get eggbeaters 😃

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":2qs3gnmo][quote="rubiksnoob":2qs3gnmo]Less is more!

[/quote:2qs3gnmo]
      You should also dump those candy’s and get eggbeaters 😃[/quote:2qs3gnmo]

That was good. 😆

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.